Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:59 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB View Post
I sent a e-mail to Roadmaster a couple days ago asking.

My Motor Home brake lights come on when I use the Exhaust Brake. How will the Invisabrake work with it?????? I have not got a answer (yet)

Roadmaster answered my email and they said the system shuts off braking to the toad after 15 seconds of continuous braking so if you drive down a lond hill with the exhaust brake on and if you have a coach that turns on the brake lights with the exhaust brake then the toad will only brake for 15 seconds. If you press the pedal or touch the gas to shut off the exhaust brake for a second then you would get a new 15 seconds on the toad braking. I asked my dealer to turn off the brake light activation in the ECM of the coach but they won't do it. Say it's a safety thing. Anyone know if editing the ECM is doable by the user? what would the reader cost? I bet it's a mint and a half.

Getting the Invisibrake installed tomorrow through Monday and if I have to live with the 15 seconds deal I think it will be ok. Rather not though.

Oh, also there is a light in the coach that lets you know when the toad brakes are on so you can see if the 15 seconds feature works. You'll be able to tell that the brakes are on and again when they go off. I'm going to hook it all up and go for a test drive with my wife following in her car and with both of us using handsfree cell phones so I can try different conditions. Pedal brake, exhaust braking, check the 15 seconds to be sure the dash light agrees with the toads brake lights etc.

I'll post the findings but it won't be until March...

2004 Winnebago Vectra 40AD - 350 Cummins ISC; Toad 2012 Wrangler 6 speed
SKP, WIT, FMCA, FCOC, GoodSam, Cummins Power Club
lajuene is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2011, 09:05 AM   #16
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT View Post
If I sell I will have to start all over with everything, which is why I am asking about the Invisibrake..
When I moved from my 2004 Saturn Vue to my 2008 Saturn Vue I could not bring the base plate or the bulb kit. On the other hand I was able to bring my SMI Stay-and-Play DUO and install it it in my new car.

I called SMI and they sent me just the new install kit which contains all new hoses, fittings and wiring harness. This is an option. Consider if you will taking your AF1 with you. This is a less expensive option than buying a new brake PLUS the new owner of your existing car most likely won't use the equipment.

AF1 is a great braking system and I would not leave home without it.

As far as I know AF1 is actually the only auxilliary air braking system that meets DOT specs.

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:26 AM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Since my first reply there have been a number of threads on this system. ONE reported a problem.. all in all not a bad ratio.

Systems like the US gear, and the Invisi Brake, ready break, and many more do not increase brake pressure over time as many seem to think they do.

They measure the deceleration of the motor home (or towed caused by the motor home) and apply the brakes in purportion to that,, This is "Progressive" meaning the brake pressure increases progressive as the effort of the motor home progresses.

Purportional means that how hard it brakes for any given effort by the motor home is adjustable.

They CAN lock the wheels.. on a gravel road.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:52 PM   #18

If you install the diodes in the Toad brake light wiring harness per the installation instruction manual the exhaust brake will still activate the brake lights on the toad, but there will be no feedback through the harness to the Invisibrake. That means the Invisibrake will only be activated when the brake pedal in the coach is depressed
Old 02-26-2013, 09:43 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Invisibrake system is not proportional it goes on slowly for about 15 to 20 seconds then goes off till you let go of the brake pedal and depress it again I use one on my jeep wrangler rubicon and it works "ok" it does take bit of futzing with when you hook it up to make sure the vacume in the power brakes is fully gone before it works properly my system does have problems with it not working right but I am figuring it out enough to decide to keep in my system I still have another year of warranty at that time I will decide if I will keep it or lean on roadmaster to rip it out and then find another system.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:34 AM   #20
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by morphie View Post
Hi has anyone got a invisi brake in there car and does it work? not sure how this has been out the market. I need a new system for my HHR and was looking at this one. Please help me on this. Thank You Morris
I installed one on our 2012 Edge. Works well. Never liked the SMI on the Hummer until I gutted it and redesigned it. The Hummer has a unique brake system and SMI did not play well with mine.

The Invisibrake is a good sized box and is install and forget basically. Not difficult to install and if you turn your RV headlights on it sends about 2 amps to keep the battery charged.

There is another brake that I would switch to in a second if I had known about it. I will have to find the name. I think it is ready brake. It is a mechanical system in that it too pulls the brake pedal down but does not use any vacuum pumps etc. It is a surge brake installed inline with the tow bar. The invisibrake is not proportional as a surge brake would be. No wiring would be needed except for the lights and no battery drain from the ready brake.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:36 AM   #21
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB View Post
Not sure I want the TOAD brakes on when using the exhaust brake when going down a long grade....
Not all rv's turn the brake light on when the exhaust brake is working. Mine does not. I believe it is a programmable thing and in any case you could do an easy work around.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:40 AM   #22
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
If you install the diodes in the Toad brake light wiring harness per the installation instruction manual the exhaust brake will still activate the brake lights on the toad, but there will be no feedback through the harness to the Invisibrake. That means the Invisibrake will only be activated when the brake pedal in the coach is depressed
I think you have it. Recently I saw a wiring harness that is plug and play with the diodes already installed. Check out E-trailer site. Installing the diodes is a pain.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:42 AM   #23
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 907 alaska View Post
Invisibrake system is not proportional it goes on slowly for about 15 to 20 seconds then goes off till you let go of the brake pedal and depress it again I use one on my jeep wrangler rubicon and it works "ok" it does take bit of futzing with when you hook it up to make sure the vacume in the power brakes is fully gone before it works properly my system does have problems with it not working right but I am figuring it out enough to decide to keep in my system I still have another year of warranty at that time I will decide if I will keep it or lean on roadmaster to rip it out and then find another system.
I forgot about having to pump the pedal to remove the residual vacuum assist. If you forget it will brake very hard for several brake cycles. Another reason to look at the readybrake.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:57 AM   #24

I have used the invisbrake since Nov 2011 on my Honda fit. The system is totally hidden(self installed). The only problem I had was with the vacuum brake assist when I was driving the car. It happened when I had the cruise control on and was accelerating. When I hit the brake, I got a hard pedal. It was solved by placing a vacuum brake in the line to the invisibrake control box. Roadmaster customer support was totally useless in solving the problem. It was like it could not have been their product causing the drop in vacuum.

Yes, when using the jake brake my invisibrake comes on and brakes the car because my mh brake lights activate.

I have the control unit sitting on a board in the rim of my spare tire with the vacuum lines and wire running up the molding to the front of the car. The brake actuator is also behind a panel. I just plug in the connector and off I go. Very simple to use, nothing to disconnect, latch on or store.