Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-25-2011, 01:47 PM   #1
JDT

Invisibrake by Roadmaster

These are new to the market, which makes me a little skittish, but, has anyone tried it?

We are getting close to getting a new Acadia or Explorer. We have an 08 Acadia that a friend of mine is considering buying, complete with the Blue Ox base plate and SMI Air Force One braking system. If I trade it I will have to take the stuff off so will transfer the brake to the new one. I won't be able to transfer the base plate even if we get another Acadia as it will not fit on the Denali series we are considering. If I sell I will have to start all over with everything, which is why I am asking about the Invisibrake.

I called Roadmaster and it sounds like a simple forget its there type system, kind of like the SMI, but cheaper. It is activated by the brake lights on the coach so all you have to do is plug in the connection to 4 wire connector on the coach. It has a cable that runs up behind the brake pedal and pulls it when you hit the coach brake. Nothing is visible and it all stays in place when you disconnect. It also has a vacuum tie in that I don't quite understand.

JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2011, 03:25 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This system sounds interesting

I looked at it, downloaded the manual, looks like it combines the best of several systems.

A very interesting system. Thanks for letting me know about it.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:04 PM   #3

Just saw this in campingworld advertisement. It is the smi system with some add ons. the vacuum is the same approach as smi, uses. I installed the SMI system some months ago, and really like it. roadmaster has added the notification in the coach audible and light, and a pulley vs an anchor at the floorboard
Old 08-01-2011, 08:05 PM   #4

Bob

I too am very interested in learning more about the Roadmaster InvisiBrake system. As you may know, this system is available from Camping World, and I am really interested in the fact that after installation in the toad, there is nothing that has to be "hooked up" upon departure or "unhooked" at destination. Use of the system would seem to be transparent to the user; however, I would really like to hear testimonials of anyone who has used this relatively new product or any scientific mechanical discussion regarding the efficacy and safety of the design of the product. Thanks in advance. Bob
Old 08-01-2011, 08:10 PM   #5

look at smi threads for the system or the website. its basically the same concept roadmaster is getting on the band wagon. IF you want specific user experience for this type of system, I can share but it has the SMI brand not roadmaster
Old 08-02-2011, 07:13 PM   #6

Thanks for the informative responses. CATARV, if you would share your experience with your SMI system, that would be helpful and appreciated.
Thanks. Bob
Old 08-03-2011, 12:40 AM   #7
JDT

Since I first posted this we have sold the Acadia to my friend and bought the Denali. We used the SMI Air Force One in the 08 for 3 1/2 years and it worked flawlessly. We probably towed it for over 15K miles. I highly recommend it for its simplicity and transparancy when not hooked to the motorhome. There are things to do such as mounting the control box somewhere under the hood, the vacuum lines and breakaway system and mounting the system to the motorhome. The thing I really felt uncomfortable doing was cutting the vacuum line on the car but never had a problem.

After much thinking we are going with a new tow dolly. I know it can be a hassle but we'll deal with it. We tend to change vehicles every 3 or 4 years. Gets expensive with each vehicle change. A dolly is a one time thing and opens up more vehicle choices. The list of 4 down towable vehicles that fit our needs is very short and seems to be getting shorter. We'll see how it goes.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:50 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sounds like a take-off of the Unified Brake system from US Gear.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:01 PM   #9

Hi has anyone got a invisi brake in there car and does it work? not sure how this has been out the market. I need a new system for my HHR and was looking at this one. Please help me on this. Thank You Morris
Old 08-20-2011, 11:50 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
I sent a e-mail to Roadmaster a couple days ago asking.

My Motor Home brake lights come on when I use the Exhaust Brake. How will the Invisabrake work with it?????? I have not got a answer (yet)
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 05:03 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Since it senses the brake lights (Both turn signals at once) if the brake lights come on with the exhaust brakes, Then it will come on with the brake lights. Since that is what turns it on.. The brake lights.

What's to ask?
Old 08-21-2011, 06:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphie View Post
Hi has anyone got a invisi brake in there car and does it work? not sure how this has been out the market. I need a new system for my HHR and was looking at this one. Please help me on this. Thank You Morris
From the description, it sounds like it activates like those time-delay electric trailer brake controllers. "The longer you hold the brake pedal down, the harder it applies the towed vehicle brakes." (But will not cause the tires to skid-supposedly.)

It may work OK, but I am skeptical. If you have ever towed a trailer and used both an electric delay type and an inertia (pendulum or accelerometer) type controller, you know the latter type is much smoother and more proportional to the tow vehicle.

For about half the price, I still prefer my Ready Brake for our HHR. I get truly proportional braking, don't worry about the car battery running down, and it appears to have been about as easy (or difficult) to install.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:22 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Since it senses the brake lights (Both turn signals at once) if the brake lights come on with the exhaust brakes, Then it will come on with the brake lights. Since that is what turns it on.. The brake lights.

What's to ask?
Not sure I want the TOAD brakes on when using the exhaust brake when going down a long grade....
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:06 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB View Post
Not sure I want the TOAD brakes on when using the exhaust brake when going down a long grade....
I consider the InvisiBrake (and any other brake light activated) system unsuitable for a coach with an exhaust brake that illuminates the brake lights (most do). The reason is simple. I do not want the exhaust brake activating the toad brakes. And, its not just a long downhill grade issue.

I often use the exhaust brake to decel at highway speeds without even touching the brakes. If I understand the InvisiBrake system correctly, it would engage the toad brakes as soon as the exhaust brake came on and then gradually increase the pressure up to maximum. I don't want ANY braking on my toad when I'm using my exhaust brake.

One of the advantages of an exhaust brake is that you minimize the wear on the coach brakes. Many times I don't even touch the coach brake pedal and I sure don't want the wear on the toad brakes.

I realize that InvisiBrake will stop braking after 15 seconds of continuous application but that's 15 seconds, repeated multiple times per trip, of unnecessary toad brake wear.

I think a much better system for a coach with an exhaust brake is the Roadmaster BrakeMaster system. This system directly connects to the coach air brake system and thus only brakes when the coach service brakes are applied. And, it brakes in exact proportion to the pressure being applied to the coach brake. Frankly, I think it is a stretch for Roadmaster to call their other systems truly proportional systems.

I've pulled my Lexus RX-330 for over 20,000 miles using the BrakeMaster system and it has worked flawlessly. The only down side is having to install the brake pedal activation cylinder before towing. It takes me less than 20 seconds and their is no adjustment required but it is an additional step.

To repeat, I would not use InvisiBrake or any other brake light activated toad braking system on a coach with an exhaust brake system that activates the brake lights.

f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote