Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-09-2014, 03:07 AM   #1

Invisibrake by Roadmaster vs Unified Tow Brake by US Gear

I am installing towing equipment for flat towing. I am considering the two supplement brake systems; either Invisibrake; or Unified Tow Brake. Please advise which system I should get. Thanks.

2013 Tiffin Allegro 32CA
2004 Acura MDX
Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2014, 06:12 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
We have used the InvisiBrake for nearly two years and find it very convenient to connect/disconnect, operationally superb, physically unobtrusive and overall trouble-free. Do not have any knowledge or advice regarding the other product.

Good luck!

Old 03-12-2014, 04:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA View Post
We have used the InvisiBrake for nearly two years and find it very convenient to connect/disconnect, operationally superb, physically unobtrusive and overall trouble-free. Do not have any knowledge or advice regarding the other product.

Good luck!
we have the unified brake system with exactly the same results. Either one is probably fine for you. Might as well go with best price and ease of installation.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:24 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherone View Post
we have the unified brake system with exactly the same results. Either one is probably fine for you. Might as well go with best price and ease of installation.

Exactly! Price would be my concern since the two units are almost identical.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 10:21 AM   #5

Hello - if one would throw "wallet to the wind" what is the best brake controller for flat towing? SM1 Air Force One (and similar) used the air system of the coach to proportionally apply brakes to the toad. Unified Tow (and similiar) brake uses a solenoid activated by a swing style gain (I assume) tied to the toad via a 12V vacume pump into the brake booster. In a breakaway you do not want to lose coach brakes. SM1 says they cover this event although they are not clear on method. No such problem w/ solenoid style. Anyway - I need to purchase a dingy brake for my 2000 NM DS 38' w/ a 2001 Jeep Cherokee toad. Thoughts? Thank you. Ed
Old 03-15-2014, 10:41 AM   #6

Reading the Roadmaster info and articles on the Invisibrake systems I understand the toad braking is either on of off versus proportional to brake pressure applied by coach. Correct? Which products apply proportional braking to toad... light...med...heavy as coach brakes are applied? Ed
Old 03-15-2014, 11:51 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by edaa53 View Post
Reading the Roadmaster info and articles on the Invisibrake systems I understand the toad braking is either on of off versus proportional to brake pressure applied by coach. Correct? Which products apply proportional braking to toad... light...med...heavy as coach brakes are applied? Ed
See this InvisiBrake FAQ:

Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories

While not proportional, the user gets to set the braking force as desired.

Tags
brake, tow brake