Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-18-2015, 11:22 AM   #1

Invisibrake dead battery

About a year ago I purchased an Invisibrake tow package from Camping world to tow my 2013 Subaru Crosstrek. Since that time I have had several instances of dead batteries during trips. I have returned twice to Camping World to try to correct the problem and have been advised that the system trickle charge is working. I also contacted Roadmaster and received the advice that the Subaru power draw exceeded the trickle charge and to install a 12 volt line. I know I am operating the system correctly with MH running lights on and car ignition switch in correct position. I was drawn to the Invisibrake because of the claim on the product material that you "never will have a dead battery". I feel quite mislead by this and was wondering if other forum members have had a similar experience.

gbg

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2015, 08:28 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
I have the system on my Jeep and have towed it 3 days without ever unhooking or running the Jeep. In fact, I usually forget to turn the coach lights on and I have never run the battery down

Old 07-19-2015, 09:26 PM   #3

We finally took off Invisbrake because we had too many electrical issues with CRV and motor home. We are not the only one with this problem. Lot of info on this site
Old 07-19-2015, 11:00 PM   #4

Have towed a 2010 Corolla about 13,000 miles using Invisibrake with no car battery or starting problems. I do remember to turn on the MH lights most of the time.

There is an inline fuse on the trickle wire near the car battery.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:27 AM   #5

We have been using Invisibrake for about 8 months on a Chevy Traverse. We had a lot of initial issues, but only due to an extremely poor installation by Camping World. After Camping World was unable to figure out what they did wrong, we called Roadmaster and they recommended another shop. We had this other shop look at it, and they re-wired it correctly. We've had no issues since then, and it charges well.
John219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 12:35 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
I have the system on my Jeep and have towed it 3 days without ever unhooking or running the Jeep. In fact, I usually forget to turn the coach lights on and I have never run the battery down

I have also run the battery down on my CRV. It's usually if I tow more than 6 hours. Are you supposed to turn on the coach headlights?
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 03:13 PM   #7
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Yes you are supposed to turn on the headlights. It steals a bit of power from that line.

I ran my Edge battery down a couple of times and quite low a few times. I finally ran a battery charge line. No more of those issues. Other issues, yes.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 04:24 PM   #8

I'm not sure I understand why the headlights should be on. Most, if not all coaches, have daytime running lights that are on when the engine is running.
Since the Charge Line from the MH to the Toad is connected to the Positive side of the battery, what does turning on the headlights have to do with it?

I also was plagued with dead battery issues (even with a charge line installed) on my CRV until I replaced the OEM Lawn Tractor battery with a new Group 24, 900 AH Real battery. Problem solved.
Old 07-25-2015, 06:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
I'm not sure I understand why the headlights should be on. Most, if not all coaches, have daytime running lights that are on when the engine is running.
Since the Charge Line from the MH to the Toad is connected to the Positive side of the battery, what does turning on the headlights have to do with it?

I also was plagued with dead battery issues (even with a charge line installed) on my CRV until I replaced the OEM Lawn Tractor battery with a new Group 24, 900 AH Real battery. Problem solved.
The head/running liggts feed power to the Invisabrake, which in turn provides a trickle charge to the toad battery. I think a separate charge line would be better but that is how they designed the system. We have not towed fo a long distance yet so do not know how well it keeps the toad battery charged. We carry a jump battery anyway so will be prepared if we ever need it.
Old 07-25-2015, 06:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupevilleDF View Post
The head/running liggts feed power to the Invisabrake, which in turn provides a trickle charge to the toad battery. I think a separate charge line would be better but that is how they designed the system. We have not towed fo a long distance yet so do not know how well it keeps the toad battery charged. We carry a jump battery anyway so will be prepared if we ever need it.
Is this design for gas rigs or both gas and DP's? Might make sense for gasser I suppose since you don't have the battery power at the rear like the DP.
Never thought of this in my original post.
Old 07-25-2015, 07:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Is this design for gas rigs or both gas and DP's? Might make sense for gasser I suppose since you don't have the battery power at the rear like the DP.
Ours is gas.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:18 AM   #12
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
No reason to NOT have power at the rear on a gasser. If it is not there it is easy enough to add.

The invisibrake charge is minimal. I never measured mine but they said about 2 amps. That is probably in an optimum situation but even at that some vehicles are hungry when in the accessory position. I can hear my front collision radar humming.

The additional charge line should take care of any issues except as noted if you have a bad battery.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:14 AM   #13

Thanks

I contacted Roadmaster and they advised not to take it to another shop. Also advised putting in 12 volt line which seems to me pretty much admitting their "battery will never die" claim isn't true.

thanks

Brogon
Old 07-26-2015, 01:38 PM   #14

Just put 2100 miles on mine, Jeep Wrangler. Charge wire hook to the day time running lights, work great no dead battery

Tags
battery, brake