Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:33 PM   #29

Damon Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Unhappy

We were off the grid, now home. Good news...the CRV towed like a dream. Bad news.....invisibrake still not working properly. The controller is not holding the pressure. So hooked up CRV. Pulled the brake away set the pressure and put plug back in. Head down the road and it works the first time. The next time I hit the brakes, no supplemental braking. The dash light doesn't light up, nothing. Stop and go back to the CRV and the controller is reading 0 pressure. So, pull the brake away again, set the pressure, plug the brake away back in and watched the pressure gage just slowly go down to zero. Called CW two days ago and they haven't returned my call. I will post the outcome.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2012, 02:18 PM   #30

Mover,

Could it be a faulty vacuum check valve installed in the CRV brake vac line during Invisibrake installation? RoadMaster had problems with that check valve included with some earlier Invisibrakes.

Look in your (hard copy, received with IB) Invisibrake Owner's Manual, parts list on page 1. If Circle 15 shows a single check valve, you may have the faulty valve. Newer versions include two check valves sized for the vacuum lines.

I received my Invisibrake in late 12/2011 with the single valve. Before I got around to installation, I downloaded another copy of the Installation Instructions and noticed that RM was now showing two check valves. Called RM: they told me how to test the valve (blow in each end; if air passes both ways, its faulty) and sent a new valve.

I have no idea what impact a faulty valve check would have on the CRV brakes during unattached driving. Or what impact a good check valve installed-backwards would have.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:15 PM   #31
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Are your brake lights working on the rv? The voltage from the tail lights activate the brake. Pulling the breakaway bypasses that function.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:14 PM   #32

Damon Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
The brake and signal lights all are working properly. We are RV'ing this weekend without the CRV so will look at the check valve when we get home. Thanks for all the input.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:48 PM   #33

Thor Owners Club
The biggest problem is you had Camping World install it. I haven't heard too many good things about CW service tech's anywhere. They installed a shower stall walls upside down in my friends travel trailer. My MH been in the shop 4 times for a slide issue. They still can't figure out whats wrong.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:32 AM   #34

Damon Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Took both CRV and RV back to CW. This time, after waiting for 6 hours for Roadmaster to call them back, they changed out the controller. They said power going into old controller was all good but nothing was coming out. They assured me this took care of it and all tested fine. So I get on the road and go home. The first time I hit the brake, yes it is working. Feel the pull back there and light on dash comes on. However each timeafter when I apply the brake it feels like the braking on the toad is deminishing. I think maybe it is just smoothing out or self adjusting. So now I'm on the highway for about an hour and take my exit. No supplemental braking, no light on dash. Six more times of applying brake before getting to the house and each time nothing. After cooling off for 15 minutes, me and the RV, I call CW and they will have to call me back tomorrow. So I go out and apply the brake in RV while wife verifies all lights on both vehicles are working correctly. Double check all connections, etc. Still no light on dash. So while still all connected to RV I have wife start up CRV and apply it's brake for 20 seconds to see if light in RV comes on and the warning beeb sounds. Yup just as it should. So she puts CRV in accesory mode again and I apply RV brake. Dash light comes on controller sounds brake in CRV depresses, alls right with the world. So after about 6 to 8 times of depressing the RV brake while waiting 30 seconds in between each time,Wife says each time the brake pedal is going down less and less until nothing again even though controller is still coming on. Now I don't know if I should just have them rip out everything and demand my money back or try a fourth time to make it work. The good thing is at least the CRV brake lights come on even though the pedal isn't being depressed so the guy behind me knows I am slowing down or stopping.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:46 PM   #35
YC1

Your toad has residual brake assistance and you need to hand pump or foot pump the brake after shutting it off several times.

Then pull the emergency brake plug and turn the dial up on the brake until it pulls the pedal down. Without vacuum assist working (which can be part of the install in certain applications), you are pulling a hard pedal. The residual vacuum or boost if a hydorboost system is drained off after a few presses of the brake.

Seems like the installer should read the book. And then follow it.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:52 PM   #36
YC1

If the vacuum part was installed they could have installed the check valve backwards and you would only have residual help still.

If your brake pedals are adjustable and they are changing position this could be an issue but doubtful because you say you started out having brakes.

Read the testing section carefully.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Invisi Brake installation.pdf (828.2 KB, 33 views)
Old 06-20-2012, 08:57 AM   #37

Damon Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
mover

CW assures me that all was installed properly and they are now saying they have had several issues with the invisibrake in other cars. Now they want to take out the invisibrake and put in the even brake. I asked if the invisibrake has multiple issues why do they still promote, sell, and install them? He said that was a corporate decision but they were no longer going to reccommend them. So I called roadmaster. Unlike CW I was able to speak to a tech on the first try with no holding. He asked me what it was doing and then had me look at where they installed the clamp on the brake pedal. It is on the upper part of the arm. He said that is the problem, it is mounted too high. So I asked if he could call CW and convey this since they don't want to research any of my suggestions. This morning CW called and next Tuesday I bring it in again. I requested CW to take it out and refund my money if this does not correct the problem.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:58 PM   #38

Damon Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
We now have the Roadmaster Even Brake. Roadmaster was not able to explain why the invisibrake would not work on the CRV. This is a 2012 all wheel drive ex-l with navigation.