Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2012, 09:51 AM   #1

IRV vs Ready Brake?

IRV is a new portable system, expensive, I see posts on those who could not get them. Noposts on someone saying it is great or otherwise?

Ready Brake, I see mostly good words about it, any one have another thought?

I have a US GEAR system, they are nice people, is that thing complicated & once installed hard to work on. I am giving up on it, latest best guess, it needs a module -$300. then is that going to fix it?

Would go with an air system but plans exist for another tow, they don't transfer easily.

Thanks
TriciaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2012, 10:56 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by trb View Post
I have a US GEAR system, they are nice people, is that thing complicated & once installed hard to work on. I am giving up on it, latest best guess, it needs a module -$300. then is that going to fix it?

Would go with an air system but plans exist for another tow, they don't transfer easily.

Thanks

I too had a US-gear.. It really is the best system when it comes to operator control of the brakes but what you say is true.

Brake Master Pro, if I'm not mistaken, is an air brake system that looks like it might meet your needs, this consists of a base plate that attaches under the front of the driver's seat (to the floor) and a air cylinder with arm, it attaches to the brake pedal like the "Brake system in a box" units I do not like, and thus if you get a new towed all you have to do is put in a new plate (easier than removign rusted bolts) and air line.

I would not rank it as high as say "ready brake" but I rank it higher than the "Box" systems.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:27 PM   #3

READY BRAKE is a surge system, many speak highly about it, always like to hear a negative. Sounds to good to be true.
IRV is a "box" system, compact, new to the market but I think from an old line Co or perhaps old line "inventor". I wan't to hear "greatest thing" or "sorry pease of trash" or a little of both.
US gear is way to complicated, especially when after it is all stuffed in a Jeep liberty it has issues. They don't have a good "tree" for trouble shooting. When you get down to having to measure voltage at the solanoid in .10's i.e. 1.2v for 2.5 seconds then etc.etc. this was after 2 hours of cking other stuff & phone back & fro. Thus am throwing in the towl. & the prev. owners $2000. [bought the jeep, MH everything]. guess I have something in it.
Thanks for your thoughts
Old 02-21-2012, 08:09 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Did you mean the Rvi brake?

RVI Brake System "NEXT GENERATION IN BRAKING" from the founders of BrakeBuddy®

There were a few early problems with the software that controls the Rvi unit, but the owners say that has been corrected now.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:42 AM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by trb View Post
READY BRAKE is a surge system, many speak highly about it, always like to hear a negative. Sounds to good to be true...
ts
Sometimes somebody actually gets it right. I can't understand why anyone would choose any other braking system. It's the cheapest, easy to install, no heavy box, easy to move to another toad braking system.

Why not spend $355 for a proven winner instead of $300 for a maybe fix?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:09 AM   #6

Gary - Thanks. Do you have one of these units? If so what do you think about it?
Old 02-23-2012, 06:50 AM   #7

Rvi brake

We purchased the rvi brake a few weeks ago. I have to say that I was very surprised at how small and light the unit it. Very low profile, about 7lbs and a real good quality build. It is very easy to operate and like I said so small that storage isn't an issue.

I can't really say anything bad about it as it is working as advertised. It is listed at $1250 on their website but you can get it for $995 from hitch source or call rvi and they will sell the entire system for $995 (rv show pricing), this is what I did. Rvi has a 3 yr warranty and if it does malfunction while on the road they will overnight a replacement to you. I don't know many that are willing to do that!

Good luck in your decision!
psw757 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake