Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-11-2015, 12:49 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
To find out if a car is towable 4 down check on this site:

Store : Remco

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2015, 01:51 AM   #16

We set up our 2007 Tahoe 4x4 to flat tow. We used a Blackhawk all terrain 10k. When the Tahoe was totaled we set up the 2015 Suburban 4x4 for flat towing. When we purchased my wife's GMC Acadia AWD we had that set up to flat tow. We use a SMI Air Force One brake system. The Tahoe was a snap to tow: hook up the tow bar, put the transfer case in neutral, put the vehicle in park, make sure the pedals were set toward the seat, lock the door. The new Suburban is a little more complicated but doable. The Acadia has to be towed with the automatic transmission in N and three fuses pulled however we had the Roadmaster switch kit installed so it is only two switches which is easy. It does seem weird to flat tow an AWD vehicle with the transmission in neutral but that is what GM says to do. The fuses stop the vehicle from accumulating miles when towing. They also disable the ABS, stability control and traction control which prevents the computer from being confused.

Old 10-11-2015, 06:32 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I do like being able to tow almost any front wheel drive vehicle on a dolly without modification nor having to buy new brackets and add a braking system.
More states require a "break-away" brake system than those requiring a brake system for extra stopping power while hooked to the towing vehicle.
Doubt seriously the dolly brake system would do much good should the toad come loose from the dolly.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 06:47 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
More states require a "break-away" brake system than those requiring a brake system for extra stopping power while hooked to the towing vehicle.
Doubt seriously the dolly brake system would do much good should the toad come loose from the dolly.
You may be right. The EZ Tow does have break away cable but you have to wonder what those little wheels would do. Of course any car breaking free and just stopping dead in the middle of the road would present quite a hazard
Old 10-11-2015, 07:44 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
Of course any car breaking free and just stopping dead in the middle of the road would present quite a hazard
More of a hazard than a run-away car crossing the center line into oncoming traffic?
Old 10-11-2015, 07:54 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
We tow 4 down with a 2012 Jeep Liberty 4WD and roadmaster - hook up in just a couple min. and on the road we go.
2012 Jeep Liberty
docsdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 08:40 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
So basically the answer is yes - I have to buy a specific vehicle to tow 4 wheel down. I have a GMC sierra (too big and not efficient to tow) and a Hyundai Elantra (auto trans) Either require major modification to be able to tow 4 wheel down. Looking at most the charts I could buy a Cadillac, Ford, or Jeep. I'll take the tow dolly and the slight hassle. LOL
Fleetwood Bounder 35K 2016, Ford V-10, F53(2015 chassis),RayZor HD, Wineguard Dish SAT, Roadmaster -- steering Stabilizer, Front & rear Sway Bars, SCT 5 Star tuner, Tireminder TM66 TPMS, Banks Ram Air intake, EZE Tow Dolly
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 09:49 AM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
I like the looks of that. No air or electric.
That was the reason I went with it. I had a Blue Ox that the pump failed and didn't release the brakes. It burnt up the brakes on my toad. Blue Ox discontinued that model for that reason and basically told me too bad. The $1,100 brake system went in the trash and a $400. repair bill for the brakes. I went back to the perfect mechanical system. It works and the entire tow system cost less than most brake system alone. It also has a lifetime guarantee so I won't have a company telling me "too bad".
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 09:56 AM   #23

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Dean View Post
So basically the answer is yes - I have to buy a specific vehicle to tow 4 wheel down. I have a GMC sierra (too big and not efficient to tow) and a Hyundai Elantra (auto trans) Either require major modification to be able to tow 4 wheel down. Looking at most the charts I could buy a Cadillac, Ford, or Jeep. I'll take the tow dolly and the slight hassle. LOL
I have been towing my 2009 Tacoma automatic for 6 years. Installed a drive shaft disconnect and have about 35,000 tow miles on it. No problems at all. Hooks up as fast as a Jeep, etc, just pull a knob and it's in towable neutral. A lot of vehicle can be made towable without the hassle of using a dolly.
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 10:06 AM   #24

We have done both and, hands down, 4-down towing is the best and easiest way to go for us. We regret going with the tow dolly. We have used it once and had problems due to the wide wheel base and large tires on our car. Still waiting for the "new and improved" straps from Acme that have been in production mode since May so we can use our dolly safely. We are seriously considering going back to 2 vehicles and getting a small toad so we can go 4-down again. If we do this, we are planning on using a setup like Brobox, with the Ready Brut system. It's much quicker to setup to get ready to go, plus you don't have to get down on the ground to get the car secured. Having a bad back makes this a difficult process.

I do want to say that the Acme tow dolly is an excellent product and highly recommend it. It's easy to maneuver, stands up in the garage and look like a very well-built dolly. It just hasn't worked out well for us.
Old 10-11-2015, 10:17 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
I've had an EZ Tow dolly for a few months now to tow my Murano. I admit, it's a bit of a pain to hook up. Especially since the Murano has big tires and its wheel track is so wide the tire straps required some extra widgets to be able to properly attach to the dolly frame. (Check my previous posts on the EZ tow dolly to see what I mean).

Anyway, I just traded my Murano with 90k miles in for a 2014 CRV with plans to go 4-down. No more lining the wheels up with the strap ratchets. No more crawling under the wheels to attach the safety chains around the frame. No more dealing with an extra set of wheels and wrangling the trailer around.

But as I start looking at videos of the different tow bars and setting them up, and the necessity (in most cases) of installing and setting the supplemental brake system up, I have to wonder if I'm really getting any convenience advantage here?

I've yet to put the CRV on my EZ Tow yet, but I'm betting the narrower wheel track, smaller tires and the built in tow hooks under the frame I can clip the safety chains to will greatly improve the time it takes to hookup. And if that is true, I'm not sure I want to invest in the hardware involved in going 4-down. The EZ Tow is still a nice light dolly that I can move around by myself, plus it stands straight up in my garage or at a campsite. And it already has brakes built in.

Althogh I bought the CRV for the 4-down capability I won't regret it is I end up staying with the dolly. It's a neat car and the Murano was getting a bit long in the tooth.
I had a tow dolly for about 10 years, hauling a Scion xA. Loved the car. HATED the tow dolly. Getting on the ground to deal with the wheel straps was the pits.

Last year we bought the last model year of the CR-V to be towed without a full trailer. From 2015 to date the CR-V can not be towed with any wheels on the ground. Our CR-V is the AWD version and it must be towed in AWD. I installed a fuse cutoff switch for the fuse that needs to be pulled to preserve the battery life while towing. I have not has a problem with my battery being depleted when I get to my destination. I always run the car through the gears when I am hooking up, as required in the owners manual, and set the car in neutral with the key off. This frees the steering wheel. With the Air Force One breaking system and Blue Ox tow components setup is straight forward and takes about 10 minutes. (I am still in the learning phase. )

Bottom line? Tow 4 down. Trade if you have to. The expense for either is about the same if you do your own component installations as I did.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 10:34 AM   #26

We already owned two cars that could not be towed 4 down and they are paid for. We didn't feel the need for a new car or a car payment so we use a tow dolly. We have a Sonata and our 1995 toyota celica gt convertible.. The gt is the one we tow the most as it is a fun car to drive where ever we go. I have plenty of room down the side of the house to load the car on the dolly the night before we head out. It takes about 10 minutes to load either car.. I don't have to lay on the ground for either car to hook up the safety chains.
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 10:35 AM   #27
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Dollys with break away brake system.. What happens if the car comes off the dolly?

Anyway. as for 4 down vs dolly - I do both, and much prefer the 4 down for ease and convenience.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 10:38 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
I can't imagine having to deal with a tow dolly. I've already had to jump out and disconnect the toad after trying to make a turn in very tight campgrounds. Those "1 minute" inconveniences would have been much more complex to deal with if I had to deal with a tow dolly as well! I'm all about towing "4 down"

SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly