Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-24-2012, 01:54 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
We tow an 03 Dakota with a canopy - easy hook up. I have a boat rack for my aluminum fishing boat and carry the motor and peripherals in the pick up. Lots of room for firewood if needed as well.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2012, 10:00 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
I towed Jeep Wranglers for years but decided I needed a little more comfort. I purchased a Chevrolet Colorado 4x4 crewcab and it tows great. It is much more comfortable and gives me a little more room to carry bikes without a bike rake.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:26 PM   #17

I tow a Ford Ranger and load my Harley in the back
Old 06-25-2012, 04:26 PM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Many folks tow a small pick up.. But to answer your question.

Does the pick up meet your Towed car needs? If yes, then read on, if no bad idea

Is the pick up "Stock" if yes, good, if not read on

Is it "Jacked up on extra big tires: Towing is a bad idea, vehicle is not stable enough to tow.

Is it a Ford: Fords are very light in the rear and may tend to "Wag" epically when cornering

Is is a very narrow wheelbase, and thus unstable on curves, See FORD.

If it is nice and stable, does not turn your underware brown when you corner on a rainy day... I'd say towing a small pickup is a good thing.. Provided it is on the list of veicles that can be towed 4-down with our without modification.

My preference in towed is a JEEP, pick up or other style optional..
Old 06-26-2012, 07:05 PM   #19
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
jdoc.....Just run a charge line to your Dakota. You can buy a unit made to do that or just add an extra wire to your trailer connection. Put a diode in the wire so that it only allows 12 volts to flow toward the truck and for safety, but an inline fuse at both ends. About $20.00 worth of stuff, but your truck will be charged when you reach your destination.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:22 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I tow a Ford Ranger 4X4 and it tows fine with the exception of the 55 mph towing limit (according to Ford) Most everyone I know that tows a Ranger runs closer to 60 to 62 and has no problems. I would like just a bit more room such as a 4 door with a smaller bed would be ideal. Now if only they would make a F150 towable 4 down without spending an extra grand or so in order to tow it.

burfurd
Old 06-26-2012, 09:20 PM   #21

We're considering a Chey S-10/GMC S-15 or one of the other trucks that size, with an extended cab. It has to be automatic trans (DW will not drive a stick), so we need a vehicle with a drive-shaft disconnect.

I came across a late '80s Volvo station wagon with a/t a few weeks ago that had about 240,000 miles on it and was offered at $1200. When I checked RAMCO, that wasn't a RWD for which they offered a disconnect.

Our daily driver (an 03 Kia Sedona) is too heavy to dolly tow and there aren't many options for 4-down mods. I figure it would take more than the car is worth to convert it.

Still thinking about the options. If I could find an old BMC/Morris/Austin Mini pick-up, I could dolly tow that and it would be a conversation piece.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:59 PM   #22

My Chevy Colorado Ext Cap th 4x4 with shell tows fine. Just keep wheels rotated as they seem to wear on front perhaps more than some toads.
buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:26 AM   #23
1977-2006

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by burfurd View Post
I tow a Ford Ranger 4X4 and it tows fine with the exception of the 55 mph towing limit (according to Ford) Most everyone I know that tows a Ranger runs closer to 60 to 62 and has no problems. I would like just a bit more room such as a 4 door with a smaller bed would be ideal. Now if only they would make a F150 towable 4 down without spending an extra grand or so in order to tow it.

burfurd
I ignore the 55 mph recommendation. I'm usually running around 65 but have been up to 80 for short stretches. I think the 55 is a CYA for Ford.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:42 AM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I tend to agree that the 55 mph limit imposed by Ford is a 'cya' but at this time in my life, I'm just not in a big hurry anymore.

burfurd
Old 06-30-2012, 11:33 AM   #25

I towed a Mazda B2600 fwd pickup for a few years with my '96 Ford 460 chassis, 36' Bounder. No issues at all. I've started to see a lot of folks pulling full-size pickups. As long as you have enough pulling power and the receiver is rated for the weight, you should be okay.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 03:52 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If I ever traded the PT a small P/U is what I would have next for sure.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:30 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphie View Post
I towed a Mazda B2600 fwd pickup for a few years with my '96 Ford 460 chassis, 36' Bounder. No issues at all. I've started to see a lot of folks pulling full-size pickups. As long as you have enough pulling power and the receiver is rated for the weight, you should be okay.
On the bold, Yup, me too. Which leave me frequently wondering if they really do have the necessary capacity to be doing that?

I will say that my 4x4 Dakota is pushing 5000 lbs. empty, so a full size isn't a lot heavier... Makes the "small truck" idea harder to justify because there's not a LOT of difference between them and a full size?
Old 07-04-2012, 02:42 AM   #28

You could also tow an SUV - still seat 5 and have "car" amenities but with a pretty good load capacity when needed for most anything short of hauling a bike.

Kathryn

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote