Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:21 AM   #29

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I pull a Ford Ranger, regular cab, stick shift with our 8.1 Workhorse motorhome. I equipped it with a lockable fiberglass lid for the bed that can be easily removed if necessary. It is well equipped, lightweight, and gets good gas mileage, and is big enough and quite comfortable for the wife and I. It tows well, all that is necessary is to put transmission in neutral, and ignition key in #1 position. No battery charge wire is necessary to maintain the battery.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2012, 01:21 PM   #30

Any recommendation which truck is the smallest. I see a lot of folks tow a Ranger but dont say what year. It seams that they are getting bigger (and heavier) as they get newer. I want a small truck (that is light) but dont want to get too old. Any advice for a small small truck?

Old 07-23-2012, 09:50 PM   #31

Freightliner Owners Club
We tow a 93 Jeep Wrangler behind our 36 ft class A and use as a storage area when needed also my Buddie has a 40 ft class A and tows a Ford f150 4x4 behind and he and his wife love it just do what your comfortable with always always if 4x4 put in 4x4 nuetral buddy kinda of messed up when he didnt they didnt love the bill that followed
IRV2-Supporter
Sutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:54 PM   #32

Freightliner Owners Club
John Scott try looking at the 2 wheel drive chevy colorado see what you think : )
IRV2-Supporter
Sutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:47 PM   #33

Thanks for all of the good comments. They are very helpful.
John Stott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:19 PM   #34

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a list of vehicles I will look at in about 2 years and get one and convert to a towed.

Small pickups are high on the list (Think Toyota Tacoma)

Top of my list is a JEEP, most any JEEP, including small pickups, They are very easy to convert to towed, I like them and have wanted one for a long, long time for other no longer valid reasons but there are still some places I go where 4WD is .. Handy.

Smart car is also on the list.

The Tacoma needs some modification (Remco Drive Shaft Disconnect) in addition to brakes, baseplate and diode kit, but.. That'[s no biggie.

Many tow small trucks, Many tow not so small trucks.. Most all Rear Wheel Drive rides can be towed with the drive shaft disconnect.. Few exceptions.

Some don't need it.

Yes, Remco makes a product or two for Front wheel drive rides too.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:59 AM   #35

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I have a list of vehicles I will look at in about 2 years and get one and convert to a towed.

Small pickups are high on the list (Think Toyota Tacoma)

The Tacoma needs some modification (Remco Drive Shaft Disconnect) in addition to brakes, baseplate and diode kit, but.. That'[s no biggie.

Many tow small trucks, Many tow not so small trucks.. Most all Rear Wheel Drive rides can be towed with the drive shaft disconnect.. Few exceptions.

Some don't need it.
According to Remco's site they no longer make the drive shaft disconnect nor do they make a lift pump for the Toys trans (auto). They do however refer you the a third party called Drive Shaft King...

blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote