Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2012, 10:01 PM   #1

Is a small Pick-up a good "Toad" or a bad idea?

I need to purchase a vehicle for use as a "Toad" and was thinking of a small Pick up truck (Ranger, S20 Mazda sor similar instead of a car. I was thinking of trading a bit of comfort for usuable hauling space eg a pare of scotters in the truck bed. Does anyone have any comments Is this a Good or Bad idea?

Thanks in advance.
John
John Stott is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2012, 10:27 PM   #2

We pulled a 4WD Toyota w/camper shell for years. Recently upgraded to a new Nissan Frontier and added a topper that is about 5" higher than the cab. Great room up front w/the club cab setup & the short suicide doors behind the main doors. Great room & lockable in back w/the shell. The new rigs are a bit wider than the original "small" pickups. Very nice toad.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:31 PM   #3

I think it is a great idea. You get a trailer/toad.
IWillRVToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 11:49 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I towed three different trucks in the last 5 years. The first was a 2007 Dodge Dakota 4x4 CrewCab with an automatic. You just put it in 4 wheel neutral to tow.

The second truck was a 2010 Nissan Frontie 4x4 Crew Cab with an automatic. It required a Remco driveshaft disconnect that worked well.

Just two weeks ago, I bought a 2012 Chevrolet Crew Cab, 4x4 with an automatic. Again, you just put it into 4 wheel neutral.

Chevrolet full size 4x4 trucks and Chevrolet compact 4x4 trucks can all be easily towed with an automatic and 4x4. Dodge trucks are the same. The Ram and Dakota 4x4 automatics can be towed.

Both Nissan and Toyota don't recommend towing their trucks, but they seem to work well as toads. Both can be towed with standard transmissions. They can also be towed with a Remco driveshaft disconnect, except a couple of Nissan models with certain driveshafts.

The Ford trucks have had a few that a special component could be added by the dealer to make them towable. The Trailer Life tow guide is one of your best sources for vehocles that can be towed. The Remco driveshaft disconnect worked well on my Nissan after I reworked their mounting brackets. It's adds an additional cost of about $1000.00.

I just traded in a REALLY nice Nissan Frontier LE 4x4 with only 15000 miles to a local dealer. It still has the driveshaft disconnect on it!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:00 AM   #5
Community Moderator

wondering if anyone towed a mini pickup. or something.. for my case, i just need a very basic transportation going in town for grocery when camping out, but it needs to be highway permissible.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:07 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Great idea! Whatever works for you is the best toad.

I have two cars I tow, depending on what my needs will be at my destination.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:20 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I currently tow a Ford Ranger. I haul my firewood and dog crate in the bed.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:43 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My CR-V and my Ranger PU are equipt to tow. We like the CR-V when we are away for the winter but this summer we will tow the pick up to haul some things to our daughters home in Ohio. So the truck is a trailer and a toad. Very convenient and sensible depending on your circumstances.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:50 AM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
I tow a Dodge Dakota for years. I carry an ATV most of the time. So it has been a good idea for me.
Okrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:00 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
I have a Nissan Frontier, with a manual transmission. Miss having a useable back seat. But as others have said great utility vehicle, load the back with what ever, and off you go. I am please with mpg, and vehicle quality.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:02 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I towed a2008 Colorado 4x4 ,5speed manual 4 cylinder. It was a standard cab , pulled great it was just too small and lacked power. I now pull 2011 Dakota4x4 ext. Cab, like it alot more
bldr11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:37 AM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
My previous toad was a 2005 Dakota, my current toad is a 2008 Dakota. Both 4x4's, and automatic trans. Put the transfer case in neutral, the tranny in park and leave the key in the unlock position. That was/is the only part that is a hassle when this done you have to remove the negative battery cable otherwise with the key left on the dash lights remain on and will drain the battery. It is my understanding that the 2012 Dakota is not towable 4 down.

Jerry
Old 06-24-2012, 09:42 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I use a toad charger and the toad battery charges off of the mh
bldr11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:46 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlcrazier View Post
wondering if anyone towed a mini pickup. or something.. for my case, i just need a very basic transportation going in town for grocery when camping out, but it needs to be highway permissible.
The RV dealer I worked for had a Nissan pickup (5 sp) I would use when picking up or delivering a motor home, it worked great.
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote