Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-14-2014, 02:46 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Is a tow protector needed?

I have a 40 ft Tiffin Phaeton. It has a full width mud flap.
I just installed my towbar, but have not tried it yet.
My son does not use a tow protector, and says he's has never had any damage.
I am looking for opinions on if I should get one for my Toad.

Thanks,
Dan

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2014, 02:53 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Some say not, I tried it without anything, chips on the front of my new Jeep, now when I tow, this is my setup.....The back of the Coach and the Jeep stay a lot cleaner with the protect-a-tow installed verses without it.
(click on photo to enlarge)

Some more reading here https://www.google.com/search?q=prot...y=0&gws_rd=ssl

Old 09-14-2014, 04:13 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have towed with and with out a protctor... I think the answer depends on many things.

Arriving back home one spring from a trip out west I had to wash the windshield before I could drive the car around the block from where I parked the MH to where I parked the car.. I mean it was that covered in mud and grit, No damage (though the engine was well covered and I needed a new air filter) but it was DIRTY

Next year, same trip, RV Underskirt which I think is now called a Protect-A-Tow (this is the fabric thing that goes under the tow bars between the Motor Home and the towed) Towed still clean when I got home.
Old 09-14-2014, 04:45 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks Gentlemen....
MY TOAD "IS" a new 2014 trailhawk. And the last thing I want to do is find out that I "Should" have installed a Tow Protector. Looks like I will be spending some money.
How easy/hard is the install of the Tow Protector when you are ready to get on the road? Can it stay on the tow bar when the MH is parked and the TOAD is disconnected?

Dan
Old 09-14-2014, 04:51 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
How easy/hard is the install of the Tow Protector when you are ready to get on the road? Can it stay on the tow bar when the MH is parked and the TOAD is disconnected?

Dan
Hi Dan, adds maybe 1-2 minutes to hookup and unhook, We install it when leaving and unhook and roll it up and put it in its storage bag and put it away when we get where we are going. 2 Snap clips on the Jeep and 2 on the Coach. If you zoom in on this photo, you can see the snap clip and eye bolt mounted under the Coach.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06697.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	326.4 KB
ID:	73827  
Old 09-15-2014, 07:29 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Hi Dan, adds maybe 1-2 minutes to hookup and unhook, We install it when leaving and unhook and roll it up and put it in its storage bag and put it away when we get where we are going. 2 Snap clips on the Jeep and 2 on the Coach. If you zoom in on this photo, you can see the snap clip and eye bolt mounted under the Coach.
I like that set-up. I will call the company today to see if I should get the wide or Std. version.
Thank You so much for the input...it really helps in deciding what to get.

Dan
Old 09-16-2014, 10:40 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
+1 on the Protect-a-Tow. I've been using one for two years, very pleased. Easy setup, easy off. I also use a Rock Guard that came from the previous owner. I bought the PAT because the design makes sense-- down low and oriented such that any debris impacts it at an oblique angle, guaranteeing diversion. I think it's all I need, but I haven't yet forced myself to jettison the Rock Guard, as it adds almost nothing to the setup time. (pic 1)

A couple of caveats: 1) you'll note in palehorse's picture that he runs the PAT fabric well under his side facing exhaust. If you have a downward exhaust pipe, you'll have to either realign the exhaust sideways or mount the PAT above the exhaust pipe. My exhaust is a 45* down. I mounted my PAT above. Also, the PAT must be kept a minimum 1"-2" away from the exhaust pipe. The fabric is a pvc coated synthetic that will melt at exhaust temps. I fabricated a standoff from AL stock I had on hand. (pic2)

2) The PAT screen gets very dirty during towing. Very. All the road dust you can imagine thrown up by 500 wheels, mixed with tiny oil droplets spewed from a hundred exhausts and picked up from the road. Wear gloves while handling, and don't even let it brush against your clothing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0713.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	508.9 KB
ID:	74039   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0686.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	398.2 KB
ID:	74040  

JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:33 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a PAT on order. Thanks for the tip on gloves. I just bought a soft side tool bag for the tow related equipment. I will throw in a pair of gloves.

Excellent tips.

Dan

Tags
tow