Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2011, 06:38 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
We are towing a 2006 rubicon automatic, transfer case in neutral, ignition to off, trans in park, pull the key and away we go. I disabled the steering wheel lock at the ignition. Have never had dead battery, close to 8,000 towed miles.
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2011, 11:41 AM   #16

Barnes: I had an 83 CJ with the Dana 300 and did the same as you do. With the 4 in. lift it was easy to get under to drop the rear drive shaft. With the lift I had an after market shaft installed with the CV joint up forward so I would drop the rear of the shaft and tie it up to the frame. Like you said, It took about 5 minutes. My on board air would run air tools, which made the task really simple. Loved that Jeep... It had a 4:1 kit in the transfer case with twin shifter. lockers front and rear, full roll cage, on board air and welder, Got rid of the BBD and installed the Chrysler 4.0 fuel injection kit, 4:10 gears on Dana 44 axles, heavy skid plates all around, fuel cell, and more!!! I was going to put Warn hub locks on the rear axle but I sold the house and went full timing. Then I sold the CJ for a lot less than what I had in it and got a less modified YJ, and then later I got a fully stock TJ. Loved those Jeeps... and now I'm temporarily Jeep less but that will be solved.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:10 PM   #17

Glad to see that someone else remembers the old days.

My 86 was like yours, too much to list, but added a built 350 sbc, custom headers, solid rear axels, 370 gears, 3" lift, skid plates, diamond plate body panels (to hide the rusty areas) and I still have it. 240,000 miles and still will do 120mph on the highway.

My moto was if something broke it wont break again

The plates read GTNMUDY

Hope you find another CJ soon. Life is to short to just stay on the roads....

Larry
BARNES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 01:17 PM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
easy tow
brianj
Old 09-17-2011, 01:27 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
So my or any Jamboree 26Q with a V-10 should tow a Jeep Wrangler with no problem?
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 02:51 PM   #20

Ya... your Jamboree will tow it just fine but it may not stop it in an emergency. I had a 94 Winne Minny on the E-350 chassis with a Ford 460. It did fine towing but stopping was sometimes a challenge. The brakes in the 90's era Ford chassis products were known to be very weak. I believe Ford improved the brakes in recent years, but still, a Jeep will weight at least 3500, and some may be over 4000 lbs. An emergency braking system is a must.

Tags
towing