Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:54 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
is Honda fit good toad

I have been thinking about buying a honda fit to flat tow behind my motorhome. Anyone towing this car flat, is it a good toad and is it a good drive on the highway when you need it. It would be our only car so I was wondering if it would be a good all around car. Thanks for your assistance. Also was the baseplate install & hook up good.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2013, 08:28 AM   #2

Great toad, as is the CRV that we tow. Baseplate is easy if you have basic skills and tools.

becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:19 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
We have towed our 2012 Fit for a year now. Great toad and a great, economical, flexible car as well. We have an automatic and it really is pretty easy to get it ready to tow.

Here's what we use:
BlueOx base plate
BlueOx towbar
BlueOx drop receiver (you will probably need this. Towbars should be level)
RVi2 Brake
ToadCharge system (to keep the battery charged)
TowDaddy wiring kit (this is plug and play now, no cutting involved)

Baseplate install is pretty easy as is the wiring. If you are not sure how/feel uncomfortable, have someone else do it.

When I was doing this all last year, thervupgradestore.com had the best prices.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:19 AM   #4

We just bought a 2013 CRV and it is a great toad and a decent car to get around in. Not as much fun as the 10 Taurus to drive but a MUCH better tow car.
The Fit is also advertised as a Flat Tow Capable car but when I tried one out, decided it was just too small to be used as our Primary Vehicle. IMHO
Old 09-08-2013, 11:38 AM   #5

We have a 2012 Fit Sport. It is an automatic transmission. We tow it flat with no brakes. We also did not experience battery discharge towing it for 3 days. VERY specific instructions in the owners manual about starting it and going through the gears before towing. We also really like the car itself. My wife has a Honda Crosstour which is a really nice car and usually takes the Fit. We drove it all over Florida last winter usually with 4 adults and stuff. We will do it again this year.
I am not suggesting not using brakes.
Just sharing my experience.
tompen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:34 PM   #6

i tow a 2010 fit sport, no complaints. my goal was to have a light, locally drive-around, and automatic toad so dw can drive it when need be (we have other cars for daily driving this car for towing only). be honest, there are good and bad (just like anything else)... the good - this car looks small but inside is pretty roomy when back seats are folded down - you can put a lot of stuff in the cargo area and still get a good gas mileage. the bad - a little cheap in making; loud road noise on rough road surface; maybe unsafe in accidents; just like any other honda cars, automatic transmission is of a concern. if you are a defensive driver, don't mind annual transmission fluid change (to prevent tranny from failure), and just need a basic car, not a bad choice.

P.S. when climbing, i don't feel there is a car behind ; when down hill, pacbrake does the job, no foot braking necessary.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:10 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
i tow a 2010 fit sport, no complaints. my goal was to have a light, locally drive-around, and automatic toad so dw can drive it when need be (we have other cars for daily driving this car for towing only). be honest, there are good and bad (just like anything else)... the good - this car looks small but inside is pretty roomy when back seats are folded down - you can put a lot of stuff in the cargo area and still get a good gas mileage. the bad - a little cheap in making; loud road noise on rough road surface; maybe unsafe in accidents; just like any other honda cars, automatic transmission is of a concern. if you are a defensive driver, don't mind annual transmission fluid change (to prevent tranny from failure), and just need a basic car, not a bad choice.

P.S. when climbing, i don't feel there is a car behind ; when down hill, pacbrake does the job, no foot braking necessary.
thanks everybody for your input. Do you have to change transmission fluid every year because of the towing or is there something wrong with their transmissions.? I hadn't heard Honda transmissions were bad.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:24 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Luvlabs - I could tell just by looking I would need a drop too. And again - only looking - the Fit seems pretty low to ground. Not Ferrari low but low enough I was thinking I have seen some dips in drives into and out of CGs and other places (MCD Shades in McKinney for example) that I thought might be an issue. Any dips give you a problem, or just slow go and approach at angle or some other approach?
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:03 PM   #9

We flat tow a 2013 Fit and have had no problems. Something to prevent rock chips I think is necessary. The Fit is low to the ground but so far hasn't been too much of a concern. We towed it all the way to Canada with the RVi Brake 2. We did not have any problems with the battery even after a 13 hour day. We have the sensitivity set low so it rarely engages. We do have several rock chips though. Something else to buy I guess... :(
Old 09-09-2013, 07:12 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The Honda's all make great toweds, except only the Fit and CR-V can be towed and still keep the warranty.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heating man View Post
thanks everybody for your input. Do you have to change transmission fluid every year because of the towing or is there something wrong with their transmissions.? I hadn't heard Honda transmissions were bad.
if you google "honda transmission failure" or just "honda fit transmission failure", you will get a lot of hits. it's notorious per se. one time i had a conversation with a honda dealer tech on the topic. i asked if honda tranny is getting better in these days, he said it's the same; still a lot of swaps. those failures are mostly between 70k-100k miles. however, this does not mean it will happen on every one of them. but statistically the ratio of failure is undoubtedly high.
i read some success stories of doing 15kmi change intervals, roughly once a year. each time you change tranny fluid you could only get 40% out, so 15kmi cfi would basically keep the fluid relatively fresh. i am using a mighty-vac fluid extractor, it's easy only a 10 minutes job. a cheap shot.
i have not found reports on towing damage yet, it looks like safe.

worth reading these articles:
http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2011...-persist/?_r=0
http://www.hondaproblems.com/problem...-failure.shtml

(note, i got to know honda trans issues after purchased my fit. it's kinda ironic for an owner to speak out the problems but i have to face the music and hope others being informed)
Old 09-10-2013, 08:10 AM   #12

If I read those articles right, they are 10 years old. The NY Times article though is recent, but I don't see it mentioning Fit's or CRV's.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:24 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Luvlabs - I could tell just by looking I would need a drop too. And again - only looking - the Fit seems pretty low to ground. Not Ferrari low but low enough I was thinking I have seen some dips in drives into and out of CGs and other places (MCD Shades in McKinney for example) that I thought might be an issue. Any dips give you a problem, or just slow go and approach at angle or some other approach?
We use a 6" drop receiver and no problems with dips. Our MH receiver is 20" or 21" off the ground and the Fit is at 14". We do not have an excessively long rear overhang on our coach and that might make a difference.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:27 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heating man View Post
Per the manual, you should change the transmission fluid at 30,000 miles if you are towing. The normal interval is 60,0000 miles. So I suppose if you drove the car 30,000 miles a year you would have to change the fluid every year.

Tags
toad