Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-26-2015, 04:28 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elf111 View Post
Does the towbar manufacturer recommend backing up or pulling your motorhome with their product?

As another said nuff said.

Roadmaster says this:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1422311305.985422.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	84334

Page 5 of this:
http://roadmasterinc.com/pdf/85-1880-06.pdf

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2015, 05:38 PM   #72

News bulletin::: Spouse dies when motor home rolls over car while being pulled backward by toad!!

My plan is to unhook: I might be that spouse!!

Russell

Old 01-26-2015, 05:52 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones47172 View Post
You cannot back a toad that is 4 wheels down because the front wheels on the car castor - they are unstable in reverse and would turn to the stop.
That is nonsense! I backed my motorhome and toad out of a truck service bay at least 200 feet.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:53 PM   #74

If 50 or 100 or 200 feet backing up with a toad is possible....
Video or it never happened.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:02 PM   #75

This may add a whole new dimension to this discussion, Unlock tow bar latches and tie them in unlocked position . Have DW sit in car with motor running and she can actually steer the car Slightly while M/H pushes her back as the arms will just rock freely from side to side . Could even go around small corner if both drivers understand how this works.
Pros and cons??
Old 01-27-2015, 02:42 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Yes that is 100% correct. If you jack-knife any tow/trailer setup you will likely damage it. But what people are talking about here is backing up without jack-knifing the rig.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:26 AM   #77

Is it possible to get away with backing up with a toad? Yes it is. Is it possible to jump off a 5 story building and live? Yes it is. But why would you want to risk either one?
Old 01-27-2015, 10:39 AM   #78

This thread has pretty much taken on a life of it's own. There are those that say 'Can't be done. Wouldn't do it. Shouldn't do it' They run the whole gammit. I was waiting for a couple to say that I was speaking ill of the towing gods. It seems that this group is by far the largest and I do respect your opinions.

There are those that say maybe, but not over a few feet, or maybe, but I'll play it safe.

And lastly the third group, that says they have done it, with no problems, provided that you are able to do A, B, and C.

I must admit, some of the comments got me fired up at first. I'm sure you know who you are , but everyone is entitled to their opinion (no matter how incorrect it may be). JUST KIDDING.

Since I was the one that started this thread, I figured that I would tuck it in for the night. I thank everyone for their opinions and for sharing their knowledge.

Yes you would, no you wouldn't, maybe you could, I think there is one thing that we can all agree on. Camping/living/traveling in a motorhome is a good thing!

Say goodnight Gracie!
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:19 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by gknott View Post
This may add a whole new dimension to this discussion, Unlock tow bar latches and tie them in unlocked position . Have DW sit in car with motor running and she can actually steer the car Slightly while M/H pushes her back as the arms will just rock freely from side to side . Could even go around small corner if both drivers understand how this works.
Pros and cons??
Why are you putting DW in the toad?

There seems to be an assumption, certainly in the RVing world, that men are more competent drivers than women. So in this case (and ignoring whether it should be tried at all), wouldn't it be better to have the woman in the motorhome, if all she needs to do is put it in reverse and back straight up, and put the man in the toad where he can use his superior skills if steering is necessary?
Old 01-27-2015, 11:28 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post

There seems to be an assumption, certainly in the RVing world, that men are more competent drivers than women. So in this case (and ignoring whether it should be tried at all), wouldn't it be better to have the woman in the motorhome, if all she needs to do is put it in reverse and back straight up, and put the man in the toad where he can use his superior skills if steering is necessary?

Yes! The one with the superior mechanical knowledge should either have absolute control, or common sense.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:45 AM   #81

I can only think of one reason to back up with a toad on--that is because I'm in a bind!! That being the case in my opinion it can not be done!! Straight line a few feet in a bind Zero-/

Russell.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:17 PM   #82

Quote:
There seems to be an assumption, certainly in the RVing world, that men are more competent drivers than women.

Oh, now he went and did it! Even I wouldn't have gone there
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 04:23 PM   #83

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post

I would agree with you but then we both would be wrong.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:13 PM   #84

I think you all are missing the point. If, and I emphasize ***IF*** you could back up perfectly straight with someone holding the toad steering wheel so the toad front wheels do not "cock" due to the castoring ... You could back up for miles. The problem arises with LATERAL (side-to-side) forces. Under real circumstances, at some point the toad will start going right and the RV left (or vice versa). That is a REAL problem for the tow mechanism ... Read, bent tow bars or base plate wrenched out of the tow. If you don't hold the steering wheel of the toad, cocking of the wheels is an indication of this misalignment happening. Doesn't matter whether the toad is pulling or the RV pushing ... It is the relative alignment that matters ....