Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2013, 01:52 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll View Post
The process of setting up the Jeep to tow is a bit odd to me as you tug it behind with the shifter in park but the transfer case in neutral. Be sure to read the directions in the owner manual of the Jeep so you set it up correctly. You do not need to leave the key in the Jeep, the wheel does not lock. I do disconnect the battery but some folks do not.
Why do you disconnect the battery? That's needed on some toads if the key is left in the ignition (or pull a fuse). But I don't understand why you would go to the trouble when the toad is "parked" just like if it was sitting in your driveway. Except of course for the transfer case being in neutral.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2013, 02:12 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
As said, you just need to ensure the weight limits are met and you are good to go. I tow my ~5000 lb. jeep most all the time. Blue OX tow bar, brackets on a aftermarket bumper, and a brake buddy, etc.
That's what I do too, except I use the BlueOx Partiot braking system. In fact, I'm the guy that convinced BlueOx to make special after-market clips to connect to the 1" hole/1"width clips that bumpers like mine.

Here's a picture of my rig. I hadn't attached my emergency cables or cut-switch yet in this picture, but you can see that I had to use a 10" riser to keep the tow bar level. That's an important element to consider too. You generally want to keep the tow bar level (within a couple of inches) so that in the event of an abrupt stop, the toad doesn't jump up over the tow bar, or dive under it, depending on whether or not it's much lower or much higher than the hitch on the RV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	connectedbothb.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	365.1 KB
ID:	45890  
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:14 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
Why do you disconnect the battery? That's needed on some toads if the key is left in the ignition (or pull a fuse). But I don't understand why you would go to the trouble when the toad is "parked" just like if it was sitting in your driveway. Except of course for the transfer case being in neutral.
Old habits die hard. I use the Jeeps rear lights. It's a simple twist of a knob on top of the battery. Those would be the primary reasons I guess.

I don't have a good reason and probably don't have to disconnect. I do use a Patriot Brake in the Jeep which needs a 12v power supply but I get power from the coach through the umbilical cord for the brake device.

I did have to install diodes in the jeep wiring to prevent back flow from the brake and turn signals coming from the coach.

Roll
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Ford F-53,BluOx/Patriot.Toad:2018 Wrangler Unltd Sahara. Invert-4/6Vbatts-SolarChg-AutoTransSw-WG traveler-HDMICbls-SafeTPlus-track bar-Awnings-GenAutoSt-CHF-pwr cord storage sys-Garmin-outsideHDTV, LED interior lighting, Brazels tuning.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:10 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Your hitch is rated for 5000#, but what is you RV rated for by the manufacture. GCWR minus loaded RV equals Max dinghy weight, or 5000#, which ever is lower.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:38 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCLaw View Post
The curb weight of the jeep is 4269lbs and gross weight 4,990lbs. The hitch is class 3 5000lbs max gross weight. We also have a brake buddy.
By the time your coach is loaded for a trip, you"ll find the towing capacity is likely reduced, making the Jeep to heavy to safely tow.
95f5334j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:04 AM   #20

Going over the GCWR

Hello, I have the 2014 Via 25Q. Fully loaded with water, fuel and 2 adults, my GVWR is 10,970 lbs. This leaves me with 4,280lbs for my tow, a 2008 Rubicon. If my math is correct, I am over 460 lbs or 3% of my GCWR which is 15,250 lbs.

My question is this: Do you go over your GCWR and if so by how much? I have heard that 10% is acceptable but have no experience doing that. Thanks, Alan
alcouch33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, itasca