Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2013, 06:17 PM   #1

Is it worth towing a small vehicle behind a Class C RV?

I am a first time RVer preparing to purchase a Class C RV, between 24 to 28ft, sometime in early 2014 to get ready for the summer. I am planning on full-time RVing after May 2014 and I am debating on whether or not to sell my car when I get the RV. I currently own a Hyundai 2005 Tiburon with 93000 miles which runs GREAT and I am torn between either selling it or towing it. I am a full-time musician/entertainer and feel I would need the car to go back and forth to prospective gigs. Most gigs can be anywhere between 1 to 3 nights per week. Would be easier to just rent a car to do that then to tow one... any suggestions??
TravelinJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2013, 06:25 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We've towed ours behind a 28 ft class c 28000 the last two years. It will cost you $1000+\- to get it set up to tow. Make sure it can be. Look in your owner's manual.
Old 12-25-2013, 06:36 PM   #3

The hastel of finding a rental agency, stoping to rent the car, getting the car and the RV back to a camp ground and then do the reverse every 1 to 3 days would FAR about way any hastel you might perceive in towing a car four down.
It will take you about six or seven minutes to hook or unhook a toad.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 05:16 AM   #4

We tow a Kia Soul behind our 30ft class C. We are fulltimers. We thought about renting a car before we started this journey. We made a great decision of purchasing the Kia. The Kia takes less than 5 minutes to hook up or unhook. On our journey we have been able to drive the Kia where ever we want to go once we get to a campground. The freedom of having the tow vehicle is worth it.

I would be thinking of the other uses for the tow as well. Like going to run errands, etc. The keys to our tow are hanging right by the door so when we want or need to go somewhere we can.

The beginning of our journey we hit really nasty weather in NC. The plan was to drive for another 4 hours but the weather was not worth the risk. We found a campground and hooked up. We ended up staying 3 days and visited many things. We really enjoyed the unexpected stop.
BIJ6165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 06:25 AM   #5

If your are going to tow 4 down the cost is pretty expensive. We just had our Honda CRV rigged and it was about $3000. You basically had to take the front end off the CRV to put the plates on. Years ago I would have tried it. Can't bend over easily any more. I called about 3-4 places and all were about the same. You need the base plates, tow bar and break system. I know a lot of people that tow without toad brakes and there may be some legal questions is there was an accident. We have a 22 ft class c and the owners manual references if you tow over 1500 lb. brakes are required. We used to have a dolly but it was a PITA to load and unload.
We typically take a trip up north every summer and stay at one site for about 3 weeks. We rent from Enterprise and they come and pick you up at the campground. The better gas mileage not towing basically pays for the rental.
Ed-Helen pns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 06:57 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
It would not take too many rentals to pay for a good towing setup, and having a car is nearly a must, if the Hyundai is towable, I would tow it...JMHO...

Chiefbvfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:29 AM   #7

I have towed 4 down for many years. With my 40' DPs I never moved without the toad hooked up. I now have a 25'B+ and I have 2 toads but sometimes I don't take any along. It depends on the trip. For driving, getting into parking spaces, turning around etc, I prefer no toad but if I am going to be spending a few days at one place, then the toad is handy. I bought a Smart Car just for towing even though I could tow my Malibu just fine but it is a bit more drag on my present RV so I only take it if I need a larger Vehicle where I am going.

While having a toad is handy, and having a second motorized vehicle has a redundancy component to it, more hardware lowers system MTBF (meaning more things to go wrong and likely do).

From my perspective, it really depends on the trip and what you want to do. There are Pros and Cons to each scenario. It is whatever fits your own situation.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:22 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you are going to go full-time you will need a car. No question. You may be better off buying a car that is already set up to tow. You could check out Craig's List or go here to find a toad.
Tow Behind Cars For Sale | RVT.com
RedWing Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWing Nut View Post
If you are going to go full-time you will need a car. No question. You may be better off buying a car that is already set up to tow. You could check out Craig's List or go here to find a toad.
Tow Behind Cars For Sale | RVT.com
Yep, great answer. One thing about owning and using a motor home, any motor home, any class, and ESPECIALLY if you're going to full time in it, it can break down AT ANY TIME! A four dollar part can have you stranded in the middle of down town some place or, in the middle of nowhere some place.

So, having that toad can and, quite often, is a life saver. You break down in the middle of a desert someplace, there's no too many car rental places out there.

And, as you've figured out, you'll need transportation to and from your gigs on an "every so often" basis. Getting a vehicle set up to tow, can be expensive, or, it can be cheap. Much of this depends on your skills and what you can or, cannot do for yourself. If you've got the capability and some tools, you can setup a car for, oh, somewhere in the neighborhood of about, $1,000 to $1,200.

Figure about $400.00 for a base plate, and then, anywhere from $250.00 to about $450.00 for a really nice used tow bar and related equipment. Then, setting up for lights can be really cheap or, it can be upwards of maybe $100.00 Now, as for auxiliary braking, even if your state does NOT require it, the majority of the states DO. And, how you gonna get around those that do to get to your gigs? So, the really smart thing to do is, just get one and be done with it. Now, you're legal everywhere on the planet.

So, a "Ready Brake" braking system is about the cheapest on the market and as many have attested to, they work great. They are extra simple to install and, hook up when getting ready to tow. They're normally about $400.00 brand new. They can be had for less in the used market but, that's really rare to find one.

So, again, your skills and desire can save you quite a bit in setting things up but, it depends on your wanting or needing to save money. Once it's all setup, it's DONE FOREVER! Now, you just tow it, and use it at your leasure. No setting up rentals, picking them up, taking them back, how to figure out how to get to the rental places and get back to your M/H when you've turned it in and all that.

And, you've got emergency transportation if that M/H should "hiccup" on you at any time.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:49 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
Very good answers above. I didn't see a response to your vehicle. I doubt that the Hyundai is towable 4 down unless it is a stick shift. "Family Motor Coaching" magazine has a yearly list of towables. The magazine is put out by FMCA (Family Motor Coach Association) and I believe they make past issues available for a small fee which might be worth looking at for viable "toads".
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 12:18 PM   #11

The 2005 Hyundai Tiburon with a manual transmission is four down towable. I tow a 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, manual transmission, and hardly know it is there.
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 02:02 PM   #12

I would without a doubt tow it. If it is not 4 down towable or don't want to spend the $3K for a flat tow kit, there is tow dollies for $1200 with brakes you can use. I love my tow dolly but there is just a little more work using the dolly. You have to drive the car on the ramps and secure the front tires with straps. It takes me less than 10 min from hook up to take off. If your limited in movement, then 4 down will likely be easier.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:41 PM   #13

Thank you all...

Thanks to all of you for your comments concerning my question whether or not I should tow my Hyundai behind a Class C RV. All your opinions have been truly helpful to me.

Thank you all!!
TravelinJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:09 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
You could sell that vehicle and find a stick shift (manual) car or small truck, and tow 4 down. That is what I did. 4x4 Nissan Kingcab, with a camper shell. Great vehicle, and I also go on some dirt roads when exploring. The extra cab is great for throwing misc stuff inside with you, and the camper shell means I can lock things inside. I can also use the back as an extra storage area while towing, driving, or just camped.

Tags
class c, towing