Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2016, 09:31 AM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a new Ford C-Max and tow it behind our Tiffin Open Road 36LA, it is a Ford chassis with a V-10, we bought it because Ford says you can tow this without voiding warranty. it is very easy to hook up,I have a Blue OX tow bar, though it took dealer 11 hours to install front crossbar. I just pull car behind MH and connect it shift to neutral, set ventilation to recycle mode, release parking brake and shut off engine. follows right behind us i forget it is there, Ford recommends 65 mph top speed and start engine every 6 hours.no big deal.
Tim
timmy g is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2016, 06:50 AM   #16

I have a thread I started about towing the c-max myself.

I have enough towing experience with it now to confidently say that the c-max is an excellent toad. No problems at all towing this car. However, you must install a toad charger to prevent battery drain. The wife and I love this car for everyday driving and as a toad.
ajlcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 01:38 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geaux Tigers View Post
I appreciate everyone's input and we thought long and hard before making a decision. Yesterday we made our move and bought the C-Max. My wife liked it from the first time she saw it and 99% of the time she will only need 1 car seat for the grandkids that live near us. When our daughter's family comes to visit is when there is a need for two car seats for her twins. Weight was part of our consideration and the C-Max is about 300 pounds lighter than the Edge. A bonus is that both batteries stay connected in the C-Max and the maximum towing speed is 70MPH instead of the 65MPH limit in the Edge. I usually drive 62-63MPH in the MH so there is a little more of a safety cushion for the toad's transmission. The dealership where we bought the C-Max is roughly 90 miles from where we live and during the trip home I thought the ride and driving characteristics were very comparable to the Volvo S80 we had just traded in.

Now, I'll start looking into base plates and auxiliary braking systems. I have a Roadmaster Falcon tow bar I had bought at a garage sale before we got the VW and I also have another tow bar that was on the back of our MH when we bought it a little over 2 years ago. I'll check both of them over to see which one is in better shape and then go from there. We are keeping our VW Beetle and it will be our toad for some trips.

Thanks again for all the feedback. ----- Jim
Hi Geaux Tigers. I'm wondering if you can share how things have worked out with C-Max as your toad. We are about to purchase a 2016 and are wondering if we will need a charge line. You mentioned "both batteries stay connected." Does this mean no charge line is needed? Any advice based on your year or so of experience would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

TOAD - 2016 Ford CMax Hybrid
For The Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 01:42 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
'Dogs
I used to have a C-Max and spent some time on the C-Max forum.
The general consensus there seemed to be that a trip under 4 hours would be OK, but a trip over 4 hours would drain the battery in the C-Max unless a charge line was installed.
(Due to the need to power on the C-Max to unlock the steering wheel. )

I'd say that a charge line is in your future if you get the C-Max.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:37 PM   #19

Definitely need a charge line.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:09 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have a 2016 C-Max, it has the charge line, no battery issues. It tows fine, I use a Roadmaster setup for everything, tow bar, plate, brakes,etc. I have had the dreaded death wobble twice, both time on very slow turns, stopped rig and then went on my way without issue.
Old 07-14-2017, 12:13 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
For the Dogs, I apologize for taking some time to reply but we are currently on a trip and had to get to a place with good WiFi. We did buy the 2016 C-Max and we love it. However, I must confess that it has not been setup to be a toad yet. We did not have a major trip planned in 2016 so the toad equipment wasn't going to be installed until this year. In the meantime, I was able to acquire an '87 Ford Bronco II that has A/C, automatic transmission, and the manual transfer case. It is in terrific shape and got it for a really reasonable price. That is what we are towing on our current trip. So far the B2, has been problem free.

As far as the C-Max goes, everything I read indicated that a charge line from the MH to the toad was required. We still may setup our C-Max as a toad but that would be a few years away.

------ Jim
Geaux Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 06:26 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajlcal View Post
I have a thread I started about towing the c-max myself.

I have enough towing experience with it now to confidently say that the c-max is an excellent toad. No problems at all towing this car. However, you must install a toad charger to prevent battery drain. The wife and I love this car for everyday driving and as a toad.
We did the paperwork on the C-Max yesterday and are due to pick it up today, so this is very good to hear! If I can bother you a bit more... I have been reading about "death wobble" and watched a YouTube video. It seems no everyone has this problem, but I am wondering if you have. I also read about adjusting the positive caster to as high as possible, but upon research, I am reading the caster can not be adjusted on the C-Max! All very confusing. Thanks in advance!

Old 07-14-2017, 09:41 AM   #23
Community Moderator

i started towing a 2014 c-max energi, very happy with it. easy tow; drives nice, interior is bigger than it appears at exterior. my impression is that it's better than a prius v.

have yet experienced the death wobble. if it did, not biggy - just stop and go.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:34 AM   #24
Community Moderator

started towing this car in march this year...
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:49 AM   #25

Started towing mine in February 2013. Have towed ~20k miles no problems. Must have a charge wire.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:35 AM   #26

By the way, if you do run down the battery, you can't unlock the car. I just don't lock mine when towing. Just in case, however, you should familiarize yourself with how to find the metal key hidden inside the key fob. See your owner's manual.

Sent from my XT1032 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Old 07-15-2017, 04:01 PM   #27

Send a message via ICQ to TripleE
We tow a 2013 C-Max hybrid and I think it is a great tow car. I also love it as a daily driver. We have had the death wobble a couple of times but they have been on turns (2 on right, 1 on left turns). Slowing down/stopping corrects the problem. We have a charge line and haven't had a problem but the longest I have towed it is about 5 hours.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:46 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
i started towing a 2014 c-max energi, very happy with it. easy tow; drives nice, interior is bigger than it appears at exterior. my impression is that it's better than a prius v.

have yet experienced the death wobble. if it did, not biggy - just stop and go.
Thanks CountryFit. The roominess was a big reason for this car as our toad. We are owned by an Irish Wolfhound and an Aussiedoodle and we needed interior space. We were very surprised and thrilled that both fit quite comfortably in the back of the car. Thanks for responding!

Tags
ford, toad