Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2016, 09:58 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Is the Ford C-Max a Good Toad?

We have reached the time to replace my wife's everyday driver and we would like to purchase something that could also be towed 4-down behind our Class A motorhome (5,000 lb. maximum towing capacity). We need a 5 passenger vehicle for everyday use and my wife would prefer a small SUV. We have looked at the Jeep Cherokee and it is a strong contender. Last weekend we also looked at the Ford Edge and Ford C-Max. I've read the various posts on this forum related to the Edge but my search did not find much on the C-Max. If we bought the C-Max, it would probably not be the plug-in hybrid version because the cargo space behind the seats is significantly smaller. Anyone here have any experience with the C-Max? Thanks for your input.

--------- Jim
Geaux Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2016, 06:30 AM   #2

Jim-

Here is a link to a Google search of the iRV2 Web site for the term "C-Max."

The search tool here takes some getting used to, so I frequently pop out to Google and make searches of this type.

Happy reading!
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:11 AM   #3

I've towed a CMax for three years. Works great, no problems and Ford approves it for towing. But, like most cars, you'll need a charge line to keep the battery charged while towing.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:13 AM   #4

I have a 2013 Ford C-Max, its not a plug in for the same reason of reduced cargo space. I was told by Ford it can be flat towed but comparing hook up time and cost of a Brake Buddy to a "swivel" tow dolly, I went for the tow dolly. That being said I really wanted the brake buddy and tried everything to make that work first. I couldn't find someone who would wire the brake and signal lights to the car because it was a hybrid. I find a lot less variables that could go wrong with a tow dolly than the brake buddy. With the swivel dolly my turning radius is the same as flat towing. One thing you have to watch with the C-Max is going over a raised entrance to a parking lot, etc, as the dolly hitch or rear end of the car could bottom out.
Perry
13jmperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:07 AM   #5

A member of our camping club has a C-Max. He started with a towdolly, but because the C-Max is low in front he had to have some boards to raise it up so it would clear the dolly without scraping the frontend. He gave up and got a Blue Ox system to flat tow. Like some one else said a charge line is good to keep it charged up. He got by turning everything like the radio/gps system off. Dave
Old 02-05-2016, 08:45 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks everyone for the replies. I'll start reading the Google search results from the enclosed link this weekend. Since we will use whatever we purchase as our travel vehicle when we don't use the MH, we'll have to decide what works well for local mall & grocery duty as well as some 1200-1300 mile trips.

----- Jim
Old 02-06-2016, 02:09 PM   #7
Community Moderator

i have read a lot of reports on c-max dinghy towing. there seems no reports of transmission failure due to flat towing, but there are quite a bit of complaints about the battery drain in early model year (2013). ford has since come up with software upgrades the issue may have been resolved. however, charging line is always a good thing to have in any toad thus it's strongly recommended. let's know how you proceed and what you find out.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:04 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This past Saturday and Monday the wife & I looked at both the Jeep Cherokee and the Ford C-Max again. It is hard to believe but the C-Max is bigger in every interior dimension except rear legroom (36.5" vs. 40.3")! My concern with both the Cherokee and C-Max is that the rear seating may be too small for my wife's everyday use since she has to pick up 3-4 grandkids regularly using at least one child carseat. Carseats take up a huge amount of space. We also added the Ford Edge for our consideration which has a much larger rear seat and only weights about 275 pounds more than the C-Max. Another concern I have with the C-Max is the lack of a spare tire and no place to put one if I buy something that would serve as a spare. The C-Max comes with an air compressor and a can of sealant. This is becoming more and more common in the auto industry. There does not seem to be a clear cut answer so compromises will have to be made but we plan to decide something this weekend.

---- Jim
Old 02-12-2016, 07:40 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have not towed either, but have ridden in a friends Lincoln that is the same as the Edge and found that it has a great ride and good power, BUT the back seat doesn't seem that it would support three car seats. I also found that getting my feet into the back seat was a real chore.
I have rented several C-max semi hydrids on plane trips and have been very favorably impressed with them. Good fuel mileage, good handling, etc.
Most of my driving was done on I15 and I5 and related cross area roads in the San Diego area and I was able to keep up with traffic easily in the C-max. Driving in Washington state you start getting paranoid at 75, checking for staters. In Ca, it's 80-90-100 at times in the HOV lanes on the 5.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 06:27 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geaux Tigers View Post
We have reached the time to replace my wife's everyday driver and we would like to purchase something that could also be towed 4-down behind our Class A motorhome (5,000 lb. maximum towing capacity). We need a 5 passenger vehicle for everyday use and my wife would prefer a small SUV. We have looked at the Jeep Cherokee and it is a strong contender. Last weekend we also looked at the Ford Edge and Ford C-Max. I've read the various posts on this forum related to the Edge but my search did not find much on the C-Max. If we bought the C-Max, it would probably not be the plug-in hybrid version because the cargo space behind the seats is significantly smaller. Anyone here have any experience with the C-Max? Thanks for your input.

--------- Jim
We tow an Edge and couldn't be happier.
Forza Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 06:50 AM   #11

The c max is a cool car,but not a lot of room. The Honda CRV has more room,

those long trips in compact car are hard on the body.
Do your research and get what fits your needs

WWR
wwron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 07:05 AM   #12

Jim-

I just looked up the specs on your Vacationer. The GCWR is 26,000 pounds, and the GVWR is 22,000. By those numbers, the most you should tow is 4,000 pounds. It's something to think about as you look at larger vehicles.

<edit>Never mind... I found an earlier thread where you listed the ratings from your sticker. It appears your Vacationer has a GCWR/GVWR of 28,000/23,000 pounds.<edit>
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 08:36 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geaux Tigers View Post
This past Saturday and Monday the wife & I looked at both the Jeep Cherokee and the Ford C-Max again. It is hard to believe but the C-Max is bigger in every interior dimension except rear legroom (36.5" vs. 40.3")! My concern with both the Cherokee and C-Max is that the rear seating may be too small for my wife's everyday use since she has to pick up 3-4 grandkids regularly using at least one child carseat. Carseats take up a huge amount of space. We also added the Ford Edge for our consideration which has a much larger rear seat and only weights about 275 pounds more than the C-Max. Another concern I have with the C-Max is the lack of a spare tire and no place to put one if I buy something that would serve as a spare. The C-Max comes with an air compressor and a can of sealant. This is becoming more and more common in the auto industry. There does not seem to be a clear cut answer so compromises will have to be made but we plan to decide something this weekend.

---- Jim
Jim I have never towed the Cmax but have towed the Edge and it was one of the best toads I have ever towed for comfort, power, and quite ride but it will require a charge line to keep the battery.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 09:20 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I appreciate everyone's input and we thought long and hard before making a decision. Yesterday we made our move and bought the C-Max. My wife liked it from the first time she saw it and 99% of the time she will only need 1 car seat for the grandkids that live near us. When our daughter's family comes to visit is when there is a need for two car seats for her twins. Weight was part of our consideration and the C-Max is about 300 pounds lighter than the Edge. A bonus is that both batteries stay connected in the C-Max and the maximum towing speed is 70MPH instead of the 65MPH limit in the Edge. I usually drive 62-63MPH in the MH so there is a little more of a safety cushion for the toad's transmission. The dealership where we bought the C-Max is roughly 90 miles from where we live and during the trip home I thought the ride and driving characteristics were very comparable to the Volvo S80 we had just traded in.

Now, I'll start looking into base plates and auxiliary braking systems. I have a Roadmaster Falcon tow bar I had bought at a garage sale before we got the VW and I also have another tow bar that was on the back of our MH when we bought it a little over 2 years ago. I'll check both of them over to see which one is in better shape and then go from there. We are keeping our VW Beetle and it will be our toad for some trips.

Thanks again for all the feedback. ----- Jim

Tags
ford, toad