Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2016, 08:59 AM   #1

Is This Estimate About Right??

We just got back into a class A and I'm sort of going by memory from when we had one before.
If I remember right we used to get about 2 MPG less when we flat towed a '98 Wrangler behind the 35' 1999 Pace Arrow. We'll now be towing a 2007 Toyota Highlander on a dolly. Towed weight of about 4500# is close to equal what it was before.
We haven't done enough with this 36' 2012 Bounder 35K to have any averages yet but IF the MPG difference is correct I get the following numbers.
W/O the Toad:
4000 miles driven at 7 MPG and $2.00 per gallon average is 571.43 GL used at a cost of $1142.86.
With the Toad:
4000 miles driven at 5 MPG and $2.00 per gallon average is 800 GL used at a cost of $1600.00.
The amount saved is $457.14 and a rental car at our destination is about $300 for the week so we save some $$ by not towing the car.

Is the 2 MPG difference about what others experience or is my guesstimate way off?
JohnH12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2016, 09:03 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnH12 View Post

Is the 2 MPG difference about what others experience or is my guesstimate way off?
We don't tow, but from what I have read it is way off. But since you are cost conscious about gas prices (why shouldn't you be) consider the Good Sam discount at PFJs, and the PennFed Visa card. The Visa is free and gives you unlimited 5% back on all gas purchases.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 10:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbleiweiss View Post
We don't tow, but from what I have read it is way off. But since you are cost conscious about gas prices (why shouldn't you be) consider the Good Sam discount at PFJs, and the PennFed Visa card. The Visa is free and gives you unlimited 5% back on all gas purchases.
Way off which way? High or low???
Old 01-24-2016, 10:18 AM   #4
Community Administrator

My mileage on a 35' Bounder towing a car was almost the same ( maybe 1/4 -1/2 mpg difference ) as when I wasn't towing. If you keep the tow haul on all the time , it will cost you a little over 1 mpg.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 11:02 AM   #5

Quote:
We just got back into a class A and I'm sort of going by memory from when we had one before.

If I remember right we used to get about 2 MPG less when we flat towed a '98 Wrangler behind the 35' 1999 Pace Arrow. We'll now be towing a 2007 Toyota Highlander on a dolly. Towed weight of about 4500# is close to equal what it was before.

We haven't done enough with this 36' 2012 Bounder 35K to have any averages yet but IF the MPG difference is correct I get the following numbers.

W/O the Toad:

4000 miles driven at 7 MPG and $2.00 per gallon average is 571.43 GL used at a cost of $1142.86.

With the Toad:

4000 miles driven at 5 MPG and $2.00 per gallon average is 800 GL used at a cost of $1600.00.

The amount saved is $457.14 and a rental car at our destination is about $300 for the week so we save some $$ by not towing the car.

4000 miles in a week is about 570 miles per day. I would stock the fridge and sit in my lawn chair and try to recover from the miles each day! No toad required if you stay put.
I get 7.5 with or without the toad. I think your 2012 will do better than your 1999. Guess: about 0.5 mpg. Toad wins!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 12:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
4000 miles in a week is about 570 miles per day. I would stock the fridge and sit in my lawn chair and try to recover from the miles each day! No toad required if you stay put.
I get 7.5 with or without the toad. I think your 2012 will do better than your 1999. Guess: about 0.5 mpg. Toad wins!

Dave, sorry for not being more clear. 6 days to do the 2K there and 6 more days to do the 2K back with a week on site.
I would actually be pretty happy with anything over 7 MPG. We have another 2000 mile trip planned for June where we'll take the toad so I'll have some actual data then.
The fridge will definitely be stocked though!
Old 01-24-2016, 12:36 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
No idea as we've never gone far enough without a towed to know. The VMS says we get 7.6 mpg so that's what I figure on.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 12:49 PM   #8

Quote:

Dave, sorry for not being more clear. 6 days to do the 2K there and 6 more days to do the 2K back with a week on site.

I would actually be pretty happy with anything over 7 MPG. We have another 2000 mile trip planned for June where we'll take the toad so I'll have some actual data then.

The fridge will definitely be stocked though!

Ah yes! Much better.
My bet is a delta of about 1mpg, maybe less, with the newer drive train: power, efficiency, better gearing. That said, it would be cheaper with a toad than a rental. After 16 years of "toading" we are well spoiled.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 12:55 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I don't really notice much of a difference in MPG when I am towing. Maybe a slight acceleration difference when starting from a stop, but nothing else.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 02:27 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Our coach gets about 1/2 mpg less when we're towing.

Having said that, I don't think you asked this, but I'm going to submit it. I don't think we would ever consider not towing. Here's why.

First trip we made without a toad, when we arrived at our destination the car rental companies had run out of cars! Oops!

Often there are no car rental companies at our destination.

We had a mechanical problem once with the coach on the road, which turned out to be not much of a deal because we had the toad. A quick drive for repairs and in a short time we had the coach back up and running. Without the toad this would have been a completely different story.

So, when our coach pulls out of the yard, our toad is always right behind it.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 10:37 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I would be surprised if the difference is over 0.5 mpg.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote