Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:12 PM   #1

Is towing 4 down supposed to be so scary

I don't know if my expectations were too high or if I have a problem. When not towing, my 32 foot Newmar Baystar tracks just fine. I just had a Blue Ox towbar and base plate installed on my new Chevy equinox, 3800lbs. SMI brake system was also installed at the same time. When I get the unit up to speed (50-60mph) I notice that the MH is difficult to steer in that it wanders more than I am accustom to. The brakes appear to be working. Even thought the light on the front of the car is difficult to see I can hear the pump activate in the audio of my back up camera. It does not wander when I apply the brakes. With constant attention I am able to keep the rig between the lines but it is stressful. Any suggestions?

D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2011, 08:23 PM   #2

Try towing the car a short distance with the Brake unit disconnected. Sounds like the brakes are dragging or the baseplate/ tow bar is not towing the vehicle straight.

okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:24 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I don't have any issues towing my Honda Fit behind my Allegro Open Road Diesel.I hardly know its there. You shouldn't experience any major issues assuming you are not over you weights. If you are then anything is possible.
Dan
Old 05-24-2011, 08:27 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Wandering will happen. Insure that there is minimal slop in the towbar/receiver connection. There are some products to help in this regard:

Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:25 PM   #5

Denis, We had the same symptoms as you have with our 36 footer. It's caused by the long rear overhang changing the frame to rear axle relationship to each other. This happens during crosswinds, large truck passings, changes in road height and when towing when these conditions exist. We installed a BlueOx TigerTrac rear stabilizer bar which all but eliminated the 'tailwagging' by keeping this relationship at a constant. With the shorter wheel base of a 32'r, it only exacerbates the condition. This condition is so common on these long overhang gassers that it makes me wonder why the rear track bar is not standard equipment. Bob

Note: No relationship with BlueOx, just liked the design and it is black. Most other makers are just as good at doing the job.

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:57 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My 36' tracks just fine with the tow on---3400 pounds. So now you have someone with the same symptoms and someone without---not very helpful.

I like what okgc reccommended before you spend a lot of money---and (my wife would give me grief if I did it but) maybe put someone in the tow for a short distance to see what is happening up close and personal.

Is the hitch articulating properly---not hanging up somewhere so the car cannot track correctly? Is the car steering/following properly,nothing hanging up inside on the column?
Is it braking properly. Have you checked to see if any of the wheels is warmer than the other , maybe dragging the brakes-------

HOpefully you find something on the simple side---rather than having to modify your coach,
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:49 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
From what you said you do not have a problem stopping, you have a problem moving, sounds like you feel there is some loss of control (Directional control) when towing..

Question: Is this ONLY when towing (have you driven "Bobtail" (without trailer, the towed car is a Trailer under Michigan law)?

I see two possibilities.

1: Alignment on the towed may be wrong but if that were the case I suspect your monitor would see the towed doing a bit of a dance back there.. You said it tracks well.

2: The motor home has "Trac" issues.

Many motor homes can benefit from installation of something called a Trac Bar.. also by a sterring stablizer.

I have a Davis Tru-Track front track bar (pan hard bar is another name for htem) and a Blue Ox True-Center stablizer on my workhorse custom chassis, And thugh I really did nto notice it much at install.. I then took a 2,000 mile drive and at the end of the trip unhooked the towed.

First time: BEFORE INSTALLING HARDWARE.. It was a relief to drive the towed.

Second time: AFTER installation,, The Towed was a .. witch.. to drive.

Same towed, Same motor home,, Same destinatin, slightly different route. (I took the high road the 2nd time) but that should not matter.

Most folks say the rear track bar is better, if it's a WORKHORSE or FORD chassis I'd go with the Ultra Power Trac bar.. and when I do my next upgrade, that will be it.

What do these thigns do?

Steering stablizer assists you in going straight forward, Period. Encourages wheels to be pointed straight ahead, The True Center is adjustable from the driver's seat.

Pan-Hard or Trac bars.. The chassis is supported on springs, and springs,, bend, this allows the chassis to "Wag" a bit side to side, you see this as a change in direction since you are seated on the chassis, not the axle. And it is in fact a change when it's the front due to the way things are put together.

The Trac-Bar "locks" the chassis over the axle, preventing side to side motion over the wheels and axle.. Eliminating that sensation completly.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:46 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It seems that if either the RV or Toad have an alignment problem that the toad will try to push the rear of the RV to one side. This is a theory on my part, is there any truth to it.

I've heard of this with dual axle trailers, does it apply here as well?
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:55 PM   #9

I would like to thank everyone for their good suggestions. My problem is that I have spent almost $6,000 on a tow bar, base plate, SMI braking system and a new set of very expensive tires and I have not left town yet. I'm just going to tuff this one out and drive it the way it is. I'll keep the speed down and make a decision of my future with this MH at the end of my trip. Now I'm just hoping a tornado doesn't prevent me from going to Yellowstone and the Tetons.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:25 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Check the Tow Mounts on that Car!
Old 05-25-2011, 08:35 PM   #11

I had a freind that had the same problem and when I was following him the truck was swaying. Found out he had the release bars tied down and the tow bar was sliding in and out. Easy to do with Blue-ox. Make sure nothing is close to the leavers.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:22 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by D in Davie View Post
I don't know if my expectations were too high or if I have a problem. When not towing, my 32 foot Newmar Baystar tracks just fine. I just had a Blue Ox towbar and base plate installed on my new Chevy equinox, 3800lbs. SMI brake system was also installed at the same time. When I get the unit up to speed (50-60mph) I notice that the MH is difficult to steer in that it wanders more than I am accustom to. The brakes appear to be working. Even thought the light on the front of the car is difficult to see I can hear the pump activate in the audio of my back up camera. It does not wander when I apply the brakes. With constant attention I am able to keep the rig between the lines but it is stressful. Any suggestions?
a track bar on the rear axle and a hitch immobilizer took most of the wiggle out of my towing. i have the roadmaster immobilizer and imho it doesn't work as well as it should because it is upside down. i would suggest the blue ox bx88224 immobilizer. my moho still wandered.

Blue Ox Drop Receivers

i recently had extra 2 degree castor wedges installed at BRAZELS in centralia, wa., and the wheels aligned. i found that i had toe out. not good. i now have 5-5.5 degrees castor and .06'' toe in. my moho tracks really well now.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:33 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

In any case, having a toad on the back should NOT affect motorhome handling one iota. Steering problems when the toad is added is definitely not a normal thing - most people say they never know it is back there. Something is wrong with your hook-up and you need to figure out what it is. Head back to the shop that installed it and discuss the issue with them.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 06:53 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer
In any case, having a toad on the back should NOT affect motorhome handling one iota. Steering problems when the toad is added is definitely not a normal thing - most people say they never know it is back there. Something is wrong with your hook-up and you need to figure out what it is. Head back to the shop that installed it and discuss the issue with them.
An RV with a long rear overhang will most certainly be affected by a toad. Tail wagging the dog syndrome.