Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:23 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here is the PDF from the Owners Manual supplement

Use the CTRL and + key in your browser to zoom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012 Escape Towing.png
Views:	1515
Size:	259.9 KB
ID:	20172  

f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2012, 09:02 AM   #16

DandS, note the second paragraph of my first post. A fellow at the dealer said we are covered still. He was unhappy with the change as he lost a sale that was about to be closed when the customer found the supplement in the manual.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:38 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

I don't see anything in the linked owner manuals (2012) that says it cannot be towed. Just the opposite (I refer to the second printing version of the manual).

Still cannot access the TSB linked early in this thread - says i am not authorized and should logon.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:57 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
DandS, note the second paragraph of my first post. A fellow at the dealer said we are covered still. He was unhappy with the change as he lost a sale that was about to be closed when the customer found the supplement in the manual.
Correction. The customer actually bought the Escape and the base plates and then when looking in the manual they found the supplement. Apparently there was no announcement from Ford about this change. The buyer found he cannot return the baseplates and he wants Ford to pay for a dolly (it is FWD).

With GM and the Cruze the sent a note and the manual change to all owners since it was retroactive. That apparently is not the case with the Escape. In our case I sat and went through the manual BEFORE I bought.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:10 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmblaster View Post
I wonder whats going on because the 2012 edge with the 2.0 ecoboost engine has a 6F35 transmission but the only differance is there is no dipstick like on the escape but according to the manual for 2013 2.0 not towable not even on a dolly it says trailer only talked my dealer service manager and he says 2013 edge 2.0 still towable
Some prelim info on transmissions:

2006–present 6R60 6-speed transmission
Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer
2007–present 6R80 6-speed transmission
Ford Expedition, Lincoln Navigator, 2009 Ford F-Series, 2011 Ford Mustang (V6 & GT), 2011 Ford Territory
2007–present 6F50—6-speed transaxle, Van Dyke Transmission
Ford Edge, Lincoln MKX, Lincoln MKS, Ford Taurus, Ford Taurus X, Mercury Sable, Ford Flex, Lincoln MKT
2009–present 6F35—6-speed transaxle, Van Dyke Transmission
Ford Escape, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute, Ford Fusion, Mercury Milan
2009–present 6F55—6-speed transaxle (designed for use with the 3.5L Ecoboost V6)
Lincoln MKS, Ford Flex, Ford Taurus SHO, Lincoln MKT
Old 04-19-2012, 09:01 PM   #20

If this is correct there should be a lot of NOT TOWABLE warnings in the Ford manuals.

"Six-speed transmissions
Each Taurus engine is mated to a unique six-speed automatic transmission specifically tailored to that application. Six-speed transmissions add fuel economy and performance, as they allow for lower gearing to be optimized for improved off-the-line acceleration, yet enable higher gears to help provide economical cruising by keeping engine rpm levels low.
The 2.0-liter EcoBoost Taurus is fitted with a new 6F35 gearbox featuring active transmission warmup and a “dot nozzle” internal clutch friction material configuration. Together, these innovations contribute to overall fuel efficiency by reducing internal friction at warmup and when internal clutches are fully engaged.
Taurus models equipped with the 3.5-liter Ti-VCT V6 feature the 6F50 six-speed transmission, while the Taurus SHO sport sedan mates a high-capacity 6F55 version of this gearbox to the twin-turbocharged 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6."
Old 04-19-2012, 09:24 PM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Some prelim info on transmissions:

2007–present 6F50—6-speed transaxle, Van Dyke Transmission
Ford Edge, Lincoln MKX, Lincoln MKS, Ford Taurus, Ford Taurus X, Mercury Sable, Ford Flex, Lincoln MKT

Only problem I see with that info is that according to the cert lable and the spec info in the owners manual my 2012 Edge with 2.0 ecoboost has the 6F35 trans and if you look at the new manual for 2013 edge the 2.0 Ecoboost is no longer towable only the v6 engines
Old 04-19-2012, 09:43 PM   #22

I would think they would have to knock out the 6F35 on all vehicles and it appears that is what they are doing - but leaving it for those who bought when they asserted that they are towable.

I checked the 2013 Explorer manual and the 2012. No exclusion in the 2012 but the 2013 says NO for the 2.0 Turbo.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:25 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
One more point - the Fusion has the 6F35 transmission as well and same it has the same manual supplement.

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pub.../1260lsu1e.pdf
I have a 2010 Fusion that I was going to set up to flat tow. I assume this also applies to the 2010 models that are essentially the same? I don't know if I have the 6F35 trans or not. I have been also thinking about a dolly but really wanted to flat tow. I'm due to take the car to the dealer to check an unrelated possible trans leak this week. I will ask them about this issue then.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:30 AM   #24

I was told at the dealership that those of us towing continue to be covered. The impression I was left with was that the prohibition on towing started effective with the 2012 units that had the supplement in the manual on delivery.

I think Ford would be wise to contact all the organizations (such as FMCA) that put out a toad list. I know that FMCA gets its information in writing from the manufacturers.

Let us know what your dealer says about starting to tow now.

Don
Old 04-23-2012, 04:56 PM   #25

I happened to be at my Ford dealership today, and shared with them the information from this forum regarding both the 2012 and 2013 Ford Escape's towability 4-down. I don't think they have a lot of customers who tow Escapes 4-down, as they quickly produced a publication from May 2011 on 2012 Escapes which stated they were towable 4-down.

Upon further urging, the service manager looked it up on Ford's computer system, and sure enough, the 2012 Escape is no longer towable 4-down. Nor is the 2013 Escape.

I don't know, nor did I ask, about existing Ford Escape owners and whether Ford is still approving their Escape's for 4-down towing.

P.S. I own a 2012 Ford Escape as my daily driver. But after reading all the info on this forum, I have decided to not set it up for towing, but contine to tow my 2007 Chevy HHR, which tows like a champ.

Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford