Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-19-2007, 03:16 PM   #1

WEll me made it to Yellowstone National Park to find that our Jeep once disconnected wouldn't move. Well we are in West Yellowstone and fortunately we have a Auto shop here, he checked it over and confirmed that it was the tranny. Our Dealer was called and they would authorize work but it turns out that there are NO transmissions AVAILABLE! We rented a car and I am not sure how we are getting this vehicle home. I guess discontect the drive shaft. What I don;t get is we went by the book and never had a issue before...unless it was the distance (IL to Yellowstone) we did not disconect. Oh well...kinda put a damper on things.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2007, 03:16 PM   #2

WEll me made it to Yellowstone National Park to find that our Jeep once disconnected wouldn't move. Well we are in West Yellowstone and fortunately we have a Auto shop here, he checked it over and confirmed that it was the tranny. Our Dealer was called and they would authorize work but it turns out that there are NO transmissions AVAILABLE! We rented a car and I am not sure how we are getting this vehicle home. I guess discontect the drive shaft. What I don;t get is we went by the book and never had a issue before...unless it was the distance (IL to Yellowstone) we did not disconect. Oh well...kinda put a damper on things.

Old 06-19-2007, 03:31 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
With the transfer case in neutral and trans in park what could have gone wrong? The trans doesn't turn how could towing be the problem? Are you sure everything was by the book? At least it's covered. Mike
Old 06-19-2007, 04:21 PM   #4

Hope things work out for you.

It's always a pain to have something interrupt a vacation...
Old 06-20-2007, 02:11 AM   #5

Is it a 4WD or 2WD?
Old 06-21-2007, 07:36 AM   #6

UPDATE:
The shop confimed that we did nothing wrong so our local dealer is covering it! WE drive the select trac 4 X 4. No trany's available so we are towing home on Sunday. They are hoping that they can find one. They are on backorder. They will give me a car too for the time it takes to get it fixed.
The trany parts still spin even disconected so they still need to be lubed. They recommended a pump or disconnecting the driveline. So we will do one or the other in the future.
We have hooked up many times before with no issues but never went this far before without unhooking. IL to Yellowstone. They have some kind of new after market lever to disconnect the drive line so it sounds easy enough??? WE always pull the manual out and sit together whenwe do this so we know that we didn't make a mistake. The tranfer case was totally fine that is how the dealer confirmed that we did things correctly. JUst wanted to prewarn others with Liberty's. Good thing we decided to stay in town!
Thanks to all who responded.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:08 PM   #7

I don't have a jeep, but we towed our trailblazer from Michigan to yellowstone and grand canyon on two diff trips. we did not disconnect until we got there. never had a problem. I would guess it was not what you did, but the tranny just gave out for some reason...lucky for you it is being repaired under warranty.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:50 PM   #8

We have also towed our Jeep Liberty(2006)many hundred miles without unhooking and have had no tranny issues to date. We did the same with our 2004 Liberty for probably in excess of 30,000 miles with no issues. Hope this is not another case of the manufacture using cheap parts in the newer cars that will not stand the towing we have been used to doing. Gene
Ann n Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 07:37 AM   #9

I just received a recall notice for my trans in my 05 Liberty. It has the diesel engine, so I'm not sure if that has something to do with it.

In any case...06 trans may be next for a recall from the sound of your experience.

2003 KSDP
Ed-Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 07:52 PM   #10

I am curious. What was your tow speed. I see lots of people pass me with a toad going 65MPH or more. I keep my speed down at 55MPH as I understand the tranny will cook the oil if I tow above 60MPH for extended periods. So far, knock on wood, the car runs fine.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:36 PM   #11

We traveled most of the way at 60mph. Coming home which made no differance at that point we went faster. The service manager said that it might just have had weak parts???
Oh I decided to test drive the Ford Edge...really nice car. You just put it in neutral and just start it up when gassing up the rig for 5 minutes. It must be the AWD model. It weighs the same as the jeep renegade which was my model. I hate to give up the Jeep though I just love them...
Old 07-03-2007, 02:46 AM   #12

We have a 07 Wrangler unlimited 4 door we tow with no problems also.We set the transfer case in neutral and the transmission in park.The best thing is we can take the top off!
Old 07-03-2007, 07:17 PM   #13

It was just weird because last year we drove back and forth from IL to Rapid City,SD. We had NO problems and have towed lots to WI. So who knows what happened??? We arrived back in town on Friday and dropped it off at the dealer. They got the new tranny in on Thursday so nice timing. I did find out that the REMCO drive shaft disconnect is no longer sold to Jeeps due to vibration problems. So ...I guess we could add the lube pump.
Old 07-07-2007, 03:34 AM   #14

It sounds like I will be getting my car back from the dealer on Tuesday. It also had another recall for the fan unit for the heater on the car. I still get the free rental until they finish my vehicle. So far so good.