Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2015, 06:31 AM   #1

Jeep Baseplate Safety Cables

I'd like to know how some of you have installed the break away cables on your Jeeps. I just installed a Blue Ox baseplate on my 14 Jeep Wrangler and still need to install the cables that go around the Jeep's frame and hook up to the baseplate's mounting holes. The ones that came with my kit are a lot longer than they need to be and they'll flop all over the place. I thought about using large wire ties so snug it against the frame, but would like to know what others have done. I'm sure some of you have left them out. It mounts to the frame with three large bolts on each side and that definitely isn't the weakest link in the whole system.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2015, 06:59 AM   #2

I would follow the Blue Ox installation plan so your better idea does not result in a tow truck retrieving your toad from a ditch somewhere.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:18 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I wraped mine

I took the excess and just made another pass around the frame & cross member to take up the slack in my situation. 2001 Jeep Cherokee 4X4. Blue Ox base plate,a Blue Ox Aventa tow bar with an SMG tow brake set up.

10/18/19 Dutch has passed but still travels with us in our hearts :(
mikee409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 07:31 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mine just loop up over the frame, there is plenty of excess cable there but it's not moving. Here are a few pics I just took.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5868.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	248.8 KB
ID:	84576   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5869.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	229.3 KB
ID:	84577  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5870.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	249.0 KB
ID:	84578  
SWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 03:26 PM   #5

I double looped mine, and used zip ties to hold it tight. Zip ties will easily let go if breakaway is required.
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 04:46 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies and photos. Don't know if I can double loop, but the zip ties sound like a good idea. I just don't want it flopping all over the place especially when we go wheeling.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:13 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I wrapped mine behind the crossmember-to-frame joint. It's back a little farther but the cable was long enough. \ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 04:54 PM   #8

I simply (or not so simply) have the baseplates welded to the frames, in addition to the bolting. Then I don't use those cables. The idea of plates coming loose because the bolts loosened, with the resultant jerk as those cables have a lot of slack, didn't entice me into using/relying on them. Now the bolts are the safety to the welds...or vice versa.
Durango382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 05:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango382 View Post
I simply (or not so simply) have the baseplates welded to the frames, in addition to the bolting. Then I don't use those cables. The idea of plates coming loose because the bolts loosened, with the resultant jerk as those cables have a lot of slack, didn't entice me into using/relying on them. Now the bolts are the safety to the welds...or vice versa.
I did think about taking the Mig to it, but I think it's overkill. The kit has whiz nuts which are torqued and on top of that I used red loctite. Before those come lose some other weaker link would have given up. Nevertheless, welding them to the frame is definitely safer than anything else.

Tags
safety