Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2009, 08:28 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Jeep Bumper with Tow attachments

Does anybody make a winch bumper with tow bar attachment points already built in? I am planning on getting a Jeep as a toad. I already have a winch I want to use. If I am going to be buying a new winch bumper anyways, I would think a smart bumper maker would make one that would hook up to a Blue Ox.

I know many of you have a lot more experience than I do, so please let me know if you have seen something that would work.

Thanks, Mike
mbisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2009, 08:32 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
I looked into this when we bought our Jeep and could not find any aftermarket bumper to fit the standard tow bars (roadmaster or blue ox) or tow bars made to fit an aftermarket bumper. I think you will have to have something custom made or custom added to an aftermarket bumper.

BTW, I looked through some of the Jeep forums as well.

Good luck.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:25 AM   #3

I have a 2008 Wrangler that I put after market steel bumpers on. They were made by Hanson, but similar ones come from a number of manufacturers. These bumpers normally have shackle mounts attached that have a 7/8 inch opening. I welded up some new brackets for my tow bar to match these shackle mounts. If you cannot weld, I am sure you can get it done for a very reasonable fee. I also cut down 7/8 bolts to use to secure the hitch to the bumper through the shackle mount, drilling a hole for hitch pins.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:38 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich and Cork View Post
I have a 2008 Wrangler that I put after market steel bumpers on. They were made by Hanson, but similar ones come from a number of manufacturers. These bumpers normally have shackle mounts attached that have a 7/8 inch opening. I welded up some new brackets for my tow bar to match these shackle mounts. If you cannot weld, I am sure you can get it done for a very reasonable fee. I also cut down 7/8 bolts to use to secure the hitch to the bumper through the shackle mount, drilling a hole for hitch pins.
Rich,
Do you have any pictures of this? I would like to see this before I attempt to fabricate....

Thanks
Old 12-30-2009, 05:21 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
This sounds very doable. A picture would be a great help while trying to explain it to a welder.
Thanks, mike
Old 12-30-2009, 06:23 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbisson View Post
Does anybody make a winch bumper with tow bar attachment points already built in? I am planning on getting a Jeep as a toad. I already have a winch I want to use. If I am going to be buying a new winch bumper anyways, I would think a smart bumper maker would make one that would hook up to a Blue Ox.

I know many of you have a lot more experience than I do, so please let me know if you have seen something that would work.

Thanks, Mike
Mike,

I could not find anything like that that would be safe to go wheelin with without destroying it if you get into trouble. I installed the Blue OX base plate and tow bar and Unified Tow Brake...works great.

Blue OX Baseplate - $343.00
Old 12-31-2009, 11:57 AM   #7

Here is a picture:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1601.jpg
Views:	753
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	2172

I welded up the brackets on the hitch. I cut down two 7/8 inch bolts and drilled holes for the hitch pins.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:18 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Here is a picture:

Attachment 2172

I welded up the brackets on the hitch. I cut down two 7/8 inch bolts and drilled holes for the hitch pins.

Thank you for the picture. That looks like it would work well.

mike
Old 12-31-2009, 06:07 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
I essentially did the same thing that Rich and Cork did but maybe one step further. I had a Blue Ox 7335 tow bar and removed the connecting ends and fabricated new ends as shown in the attached pics. I replaced the three-finger Blue Ox adapters and attached new fabricated adapters directly to the shackle mounts.
I tried using the Blue Ox p/n BX88230 but I couldn't mount them the required 24" apart.
Another way of doing it with your Hanson bumper (which is a very good bumper) is to cut the middle finger out of the BO three-finger adapter and add some spacers. I've seem this done. It wouldn't work with my bumper because the shackle mounts are too thick from the hole to the outer front edge.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1097.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	2173   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1098.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	2174  

Name:	IMG_1099.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	2175   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1102.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	2176  

Old 12-31-2009, 06:11 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Here are some pics of the shackle points.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1095.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	2177   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1096.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	2178  

Old 01-08-2010, 05:32 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Here is a picture:

Attachment 2172

That looks great, I like the Hansen bumper and your idea...I wish I would have thought of that.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardy1000 View Post
That looks great, I like the Hansen bumper and your idea...I wish I would have thought of that.
Thanks. The Hanson bumpers have had a good reputation for quite a while. They sold their product to another off road company last year, but make the same product with the same name. It was really nice to unbolt the old and bolt on the new. Absolutely no adjustments need to be made. Wish I could weld that accurately.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:42 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Body Armor makes great Jeep bumpers and also sell a bracket for tow bars.
Jeep BodyArmor4x4, Toyota FJ, Jeep JK Front Bumpters
I got the brackets but they didn't quite fit my tow bar so I had to modify them slightly but they work great.
David
floridaflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 02:30 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaflash View Post
Body Armor makes great Jeep bumpers and also sell a bracket for tow bars.
Jeep BodyArmor4x4, Toyota FJ, Jeep JK Front Bumpters
I got the brackets but they didn't quite fit my tow bar so I had to modify them slightly but they work great.
David
What do they charge for the tow bar adapters? Do they look good and beefy in person?