Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2009, 01:15 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Thank you for the information on the Jeeps electrical issues and towing. I have printed it out and keep it handy.

I have had trouble finding the M1 Fuse. Thursday, I am going to install the even brake, and so that is a must find, I hate Black Fuse boxes, they are impossible to read if your old.

The IOD fuse/Relay does not come out of the holder, it lifts off its contacts.

I put the cautions in my list of things to do, to remind me that other people depend on me to get it right because death is possible if the thing gets away from me. So it's long winded, it's reminds me to be careful.

Because it's a 09 model, I won't keep the key in it. The issue might be that the hot Power Point in the jeep won't be hot when i take the IOD fuse out. I will have to check that, as this is the week I get everything working. It towed just fine on our trip to Bend, except I think I had hot brakes on the MH. Not sure but to be safe I am going to have the brake fluid power flushed and the pads/calipers lubricated.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2009, 08:03 AM   #16
Commercial Member

Here are the locations of the fuses. And, yes, just to confirm, the IOD fuse lifts up but doesn't remove.

For anyone removing the M1 fuse, please put some kind of reminder on your steering wheel so that you do not forget to re-install it before driving the Jeep.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TowingFuses.jpg
Views:	3790
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	1411  
CoolTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:06 PM   #17

Freightliner Owners Club
My 2007 Sahara has a separate bulb installed in the rear tail light housings. It is a bulb, holder and wiring kit from Blue Ox. These bulbs are tail/stop & turn, 2-way filament bulbs. When powered by the motor home, this is the only bulb I want working. That is why I pull the M1 fuse in the fuse box.

Please correct me if I am doing something wrong. Thanks.
DeanLinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:35 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolTech View Post
The other electrical issue that arises with the Jeep when used as a Toad ONLY occurs when the Jeep is equipped with an in-vehicle braking device that activates by pulling/pushing the Jeep brake pedal. When such a device is used AND the Jeep's battery remains connected, it is possible that both the Jeep and the tow vehicle try to talk to the Jeep's tail lights at the same time. This is all fine when they agree, but not fine when they are trying to do two different things. The scenario is when the tow vehicle is commanding the Jeeps tail light to blink and then the Jeep's own brake pedal activates telling the brake light to illuminate continuously. The Jeep will receive a pulsing 12v signal from the tow vehicle and a constant 12v signal from it's own brake. The result is that the light will illuminate continuously and not blink - essentially blocking out the turn signal under braking.
Does this mean that the Jeep's brake lights are active (when the pedal is depressed) even if the ignition is off (key removed entirely)?

We don't currently have a Jeep, but we're planning on getting one fairly soon. I'd like to come up with a tow setup that does not require opening the hood. If I don't need to leave a key in, then I don't need to pull the IOD fuse. But if I need to disconnect the battery anyway, that's no help.

NOT using the factory lights might be a solution. We currently have a Blue Ox wiring kit in our Buick like that. I'm concerned that having both the OEM and add-on lights come on at the same time might be confusing.

joe
Old 09-22-2009, 10:54 PM   #19
Commercial Member

Quote:
My 2007 Sahara has a separate bulb installed in the rear tail light housings. It is a bulb, holder and wiring kit from Blue Ox. These bulbs are tail/stop & turn, 2-way filament bulbs. When powered by the motor home, this is the only bulb I want working. That is why I pull the M1 fuse in the fuse box.
This is a good approach assuming you have an auxiliary braking device in the Jeep. If there's no on-board aux braking device, then there's no need to pull the M1 fuse.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:22 PM   #20
Commercial Member

Quote:
Does this mean that the Jeep's brake lights are active (when the pedal is depressed) even if the ignition is off (key removed entirely)?
Absolutely. In fact, I think that this is a requirement of the NHTSA as every car that I have ever seen will activate the brake lights with no key in the ignition.

Again, it is only necessary to disconnect the Jeep's battery or alternatively remove the M1 fuse if you utilize an auxiliary braking device that moves the Jeep's brake pedal.

The "conflict" occurs when the tow vehicle is asking the light to blink and then the Jeep is telling the light to illuminate constantly (brake).
Old 09-23-2009, 07:58 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolTech View Post
Again, it is only necessary to disconnect the Jeep's battery or alternatively remove the M1 fuse if you utilize an auxiliary braking device that moves the Jeep's brake pedal.
Is there any other kind?

joe