Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-22-2016, 03:57 PM   #15

I just purchased a 2014 Cherokee Trailhawk and did know of the problem until a few days ago. Is there a bulletin at the dealerships that tell them how to make the needed modification?

Thank you,

Trimble T.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2016, 04:39 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimble T View Post
I just purchased a 2014 Cherokee Trailhawk and did know of the problem until a few days ago. Is there a bulletin at the dealerships that tell them how to make the needed modification?

Thank you,gv

Trimble T.

There are 4 other threads that cover essentially the exact same info on towing 2014 and 2015 Jeep Cherokees, including recent info on the soon to be available fix from Jeep on the reported issue with "wobble".

The info on the wobble fix is recent, so you shouldn't have to go back too far in these threads to find it.......

I guess I shoud have posted these links in my earlier response in this thread.

Does anyone have experience towing a 2015 Jeep Cherokee

Severe intermittent shaking when towing 2014 Jeep Cherokee

2014 Jeep Cherokee flat towing

2014-16 Jeep Cherokee

Regards

Betr2Trvl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 07:35 PM   #17
Retired USAF

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I bought my 2016 Cherokee Limited with all the options except the sunroof. Very happy with it. We got it to use primarily as our Toad when we get our Class A this fall. I love mine and have no fears that it will be a great Toad.
2012 Dodge Durango RT
BillJump is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:20 AM   #18

Does the 12 volts come from the Toad or from the Coach? I'm concern about battery drain.
Old 02-27-2016, 11:46 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by preston View Post
Does the 12 volts come from the Toad or from the Coach? I'm concern about battery drain.
If you are powering a brake unit like RVI Brake, the power comes from the toad battery. We pulled ours for an 11 hour run and couldn't tell it had been used at all. If battery drain is a concern, run a charge line from the coach to the road to keep the battery topped off. RVI sells a toad charger as others do. Set it up once and forget about it.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 10:08 AM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Back on topic. Thanks for all the posts on the Jeep Cherokee. I am still shopping.
rogerdodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 07:29 PM   #21

Still alive - barely 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel

I know everything in life is a learning experience but we could have done without this one. After lots of studying we purchased the 2015 Grand Cherokee Diesel or 2 reasons - it fit on the stacker trailer behind the RV and it was supposed to be capable to pull the 5000 lb open stacker behind the Jeep. With a trip across states of 1800 miles it was comfortable, quiet and drove great. Then we picked up the trailer. Hooked it up with stablilizer bars, nothing loaded on it so weigh of around 5000 headed for the highway to tow it back home. Around 48 mph the trailer started to sway. Trailer brakes did not stop it and it spun us into the ditch with damage to the back end of the jeep. After repairs we could try a sway bar set up, although this Jeep is supposed to have it built in. I have now read lots of issues with this vehicle going out of control when being pulled as a toad. Not sure if that translates to being used to tow. Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160304_170714.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	181.6 KB
ID:	120744  
ezj&wings2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 07:49 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
The swaying issue does not apply to the Grand Cherokee. I triple checked that before we purchased our Grand Cherokee a month ago.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
KenNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:13 PM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
ezj&wings2fly, I suggest you open a new post, and ask your question. You will get more responses. This is a post about purchasing a Cherokee(not grand Cherokee) new or used.
Roger
rogerdodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 10:35 AM   #24

I know you don't need to hear this, but I would never pull a trailer, loaded or otherwise, without a sway bar. I'm surprised applying the trailer brakes didn't bring it back in line, unless the trailer has surge brakes. If that's the case, then hitting the brakes to activate the surge brakes on the trailer was exactly the wrong thing to do. With surge brakes, the best you can do without a sway bar is to let off the gas and try and control it until you get stopped.

We also bought a 2016 Grand Cherokee as a toad. We don't have it set up yet (in process). Our old toad was a 2015 Cherokee. Although it was a lemon, we had no problems while towing it.

Good luck with the Stacker and if you are going to pull it with the GC, I would put a sway bar on it!
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 10:07 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezj&wings2fly View Post
I know everything in life is a learning experience but we could have done without this one. After lots of studying we purchased the 2015 Grand Cherokee Diesel or 2 reasons - it fit on the stacker trailer behind the RV and it was supposed to be capable to pull the 5000 lb open stacker behind the Jeep. With a trip across states of 1800 miles it was comfortable, quiet and drove great. Then we picked up the trailer. Hooked it up with stablilizer bars, nothing loaded on it so weigh of around 5000 headed for the highway to tow it back home. Around 48 mph the trailer started to sway. Trailer brakes did not stop it and it spun us into the ditch with damage to the back end of the jeep. After repairs we could try a sway bar set up, although this Jeep is supposed to have it built in. I have now read lots of issues with this vehicle going out of control when being pulled as a toad. Not sure if that translates to being used to tow. Any ideas?
I would almost bet that the trailer went out of control, due to not enough tongue weight on the hitch. Tongue weight should be about 10% of the total trailer weight.

Fron the GMC website: "Proper trailer tongue weight can make the difference between a safe trailer towing experience and a dangerous journey. If you donít have enough weight on the trailer tongue, the trailer may be prone to swaying from side to side, making it difficult to control"
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 03:09 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJump View Post
I bought my 2016 Cherokee Limited with all the options except the sunroof. Very happy with it. We got it to use primarily as our Toad when we get our Class A this fall. I love mine and have no fears that it will be a great Toad.
BillJump,

When you bought your 2016 Cherokee did they do the Service Bulletin 08-022-16 update for Cheerokees with build date before 02/16/2016? I read on another post about this service bulletin will install a accessory kit to "Enhance Flat Tow Performance" to correct the problem that others had with the wobbling while flat towing. When I asked the dealers around where I live they have no idea what Im talking about untill I show them the service bulletin. Still waiting on info from the dealer about this and if the VIN of the one I want is on the list.

I was going to buy one last year but after reading about the wobbling problem I decided to what till more info or a fix came out. Like you we do not have a Class A yet but if Im getting some thing new I want to make sure it can be flat towed for when we get one. I really like the Jeep Cherokee Limited and will probly get one with almost all the options but the sunroof also. I test drove one with a sunroof and I thought it was noisy and I dont care for one anyway.

We were going to wait till when ever we got a Class A, but someone at work wants to buy my Escape to give it to his kid for graduation, so I would get more then trade value and he pays less then dealer price. Its a win win for both so I think Im going to jump on a new Cherokee now in stead of later, and just install tow brackets when the time comes.

This is where I saw the info about the Service Bulletin:

TrailHawk Death wobble thread

Thanks,
Jen
G-JLD9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:41 PM   #27

Do you need the brake system for the Cherokee trail hawk ?
Old 03-12-2016, 09:34 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallisawfire View Post
Do you need the brake system for the Cherokee trail hawk ?
Yes, most states require supplemental braking systems. Check your state regs.

TheQuades is offline   Reply With Quote