Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-14-2016, 03:45 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Jeep Cherokee-2014-15 used or 2016 new

Just 2014-16 Jeep Cherokee owners or former owners, buy used or new. Opinions?

rogerdodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2016, 07:12 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Jeep Cherokee-2014-15 used or 2016 new

We just went with the 2015 Grand Cherokee Limited and love it.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

KenNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 07:26 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Fyi if you're flat towing not all Cherokees can be flat towed. I was looking into them for my toad and I think it's limited and trailhawks only. Also I would go new unless you find everything you want in a low mileage used.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:30 PM   #4

We purchased a pre-owned 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited w 8500 miles on it and really like it. First pre-owned vehicle we bought in 30 years but to use as a toad thought a pre-owned was best idea. We have a 2015 Silverado High Mountain also and my wife uses a an everyday vehicle and handle stuff around property. I like the Jeep GC as a toad and second vehicle. Good MPG, comfortable ride for SUV and cost effective on insurance. I also like the electronic/GPS/Navigation set up / package and in some ways easier to use than GM version.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:44 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Right now we're towing our '05 Honda Odyssey, was going to buy a new CR-V but Honda changed the trans so no more.
Had a '97 GC that we towed too, not near as nice a ride as the Honda and no where near the fuel mileage but I think I'll look at the GC's again when the Ody finally dies. I liked it, especially the full time 4WD.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 08:24 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Jeep just released a fix for the Cherokees with electric power steering.
We have not had problems with ours, but if I did it over, I would have gotten a Wrangler or GC.
Some people have reported a side to side oscillation after hitting a bump or rough road.

The fix is a jumper to provide 12v to the power steering while towing.

Regards,

Dan
Old 02-14-2016, 08:38 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Have about 15K tow miles on our Grand Cherokee. Just rolled over 30K odometer miles so cumulative is around 45K. Tires still look good with no abnormal wear. Have never had any front end problems while towing. Great tow vehicle for us, super comfortable with some excellent features

Hope that helps, Brian
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee FMCA #420209
brianw8602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 02:54 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
Jeep just released a fix for the Cherokees with electric power steering.
We have not had problems with ours, but if I did it over, I would have gotten a Wrangler or GC.
Some people have reported a side to side oscillation after hitting a bump or rough road.

The fix is a jumper to provide 12v to the power steering while towing.

Regards,

Dan
I am considering the Trailhawk. Would like to hear more from Cherokee owners, not considering Grand Cherokee at this time.
Thanks all for the responses.
rogerdodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 04:51 PM   #9

Roger, take a look at the 4 other Cherokee threads that you'll see a bit further down the page that will answer many questions.

I don't know of anything different between the 2015/2016s.

2014s were the first year, and they were much more prone to tranny issues, some resolved with the various software updates, some others not so happy.

On our 2015 we had the radio / nav. hacking recall done in the fall, the lift gate recall and a tranny update in Dec. Both of us noticed the tranny was a bit smoother, but I really had no complaints before the software update. 2 oil changes are our only expense.

We had a 2012 Mercedes GLK 350 4Matic with less than 20,000 miles we traded in to get the jeep to tow, and we have been very happy with the Trailhawk with about 8000 miles driving and another 8000 being towed.

I usually buy my cars new since I can seldom find used in the condition I keep my cars in, or how I want them equipped, so I just don't have patience chasing used ones.....

You'll find more detailed comments from me (and others) in the other threads.....

Regards
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 07:50 PM   #10

We have had our Trailhawk since late 2013. Bought the first one our dealer got. Have 60k miles on it and really enjoy this Jeep. Much more spacious than our 99 Cherokee. We have also had all the recalls listed above, as well as an issue with the main head unit. Had it replaced twice before they narrowed it down to a bad GPS/satellite antenna. We haven't towed it yet, but are setting it up for towing soon.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:50 PM   #11

We have had our 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk since Apr 2015. Have over 12k miles on it and towed about 2500 miles. It has been great and haven't had any problems. Very easy to setup for flat towing.
John (USAF Retired) & Cheryl (Teacher) Boo (cat) Bella (dog) Future RV ???; Past RVs: '16 Newmar Ventana 3709, '16 Tiffin Allegro 36LA, '14 EverGreen Bayhill 295RL, '12 Voltage V3200, '09 BigHorn 3400, '06 Jayco Octane, '04 Jayco Baja
JCGibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 07:01 AM   #12

We have a 2015 Cherokee Limited. As a tow car it has been great. No issues. None of the problems other Cherokee owners have reported with front end wobble while towing. Plus, Jeep now has a fix for that anyway.

That being said, some of the 14 - 15 models have had issues. Some of those issues have been pretty substantial. Ours had a new transmission installed at 7,000 miles. in fact, Jeep/Chrysler is buying ours back tomorrow. It's replacement is a new 2016 Grand Cherokee.

It seems like the only people you hear from are the ones with problems. I cant believe that all 14-15 Cherokees are bad. If it were ne, and you really liked the Cherokee, I would go with a 2016 if the budget can afford it. If you go used, I would make sure you had a decent warranty along with the sale. Along with that, I would insist on the complete service history of the car.

I love the car. I love the way it rides and handles. It gave me no problems during the recent blizzard on the East coast. It actually did really well, in fact. My problem was, mine liked spending more time in the dealers garage, than in my own. Most people are not experiencing those kinds of problems, if they experience any at all.

But, to make an informed decision, you do need both sides of the story.

Good luck with your decision !!!
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 08:07 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Bill,

I totally agree with you. As I indicated earlier we went with a new 2015 Grand Cherokee and wow do we ever love it. Just a week ago we had a short but significant snow event in southern NJ and I needed to drive my wife a good hour from home and it handled really well.

Yesterday I picked it up from having the new Blue Ox base plate installed so this weekend we are going to do a test run hooked up to our rig.

So far, we are very pleased with the purchase.
KenNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 05:34 PM   #14

We have a 2014 Trailhawk that we are selling! It's been a very good vehicle with no problems. We had the updates performed and it's a smooth, solid vehicle.

Only has 12,000 miles on it and is loaded with everything except the technology.

PM me if you have any interest. We are selling to get a more fun, small convertible car!