Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-07-2015, 05:54 AM   #15

Your not being presumptuous. It did indeed have the start/stop engine feature. A feature that is annoying at best, really annoying otherwise. I have driven vehicles with this feature extensively in Europe. It was annoying then too, but perhaps due to there smaller engines it was not as abrupt. Taking that into account, the transmission "clunk" I experienced seemed not to be part of the start/stop feature process.

I have to be fair and say that I really loved the vehicle. It is a very nice riding vehicle with a responsive but compliant feel. The interior is plush and nicely done. I particularly liked the exterior design and it fit perfectly into my size and proportion parameters for a Toad.

Perhaps I was overly sensitive to the transmissions issues but I have heard and read a number of horror stories such as one of the previous posts and had to make a risk/benefit analysis. I wish that Chrysler/FIAT would get there act together on this one and make it right because down the road I would love to have one but I am not sure, as is, it is quite ready for "Prime Time".

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2015, 12:14 PM   #16

Binkinjim
Thanks for the tutorial there. This is exactly what I am planning to do to our 2016 Trailhawk. Looks like it turned out beautifully!

Question...I was under the impression that the cables from the firewall to the outside were supposed to be in pretty much a straight line. In your second pic there it looks like it took a couple of 90-180 degree turns. I am assuming this is not a problem then? I assume the break away will work the same way? If so it would make self install much easier, I would think.

Also, looks like you didn't have to modify the 'holes' in the grill where the base plate sticks out. I guess because of the 'hooks' on the Trailhawk it wasn't necessary. Is that right? I hope I can get mine to look as cool as yours. Great Job!

bruscifer

Tajas Panhandle
bruscifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 03:35 PM   #17

bruscifer,

You are correct that a straight cable is the best. Unfortunately, the Ready Brake cable needs to exit right below the bumper to stay aligned with the tow bar. That puts it about in the center of the AC condenser so anyway you do it requires several bends. I tried to minimize the effects of the bends by keeping the radiuses as large as possible. I tried various routing paths, and settled on running along the drivers frame rail and then the two bends to exit below the bumper in the center of the grill. If you go my route, be sure to fabricate the cable housing bracket to fit the inner bumper when you have the bumper off to install the baseplates. Then attach the bracket to the bumper before reinstalling as it would be very difficult to do so after the car is put back together. The bends in the housing worried me at first, but after installing it (and before replacing the fascia), I pulled on the cable very hard and found that it did not significantly move the housing and applied all the force necessary to the brake cable. The breakaway cable is just routed in a straight line along the drivers frame rail in a straight line and exits adjacent to the drivers side baseplate so there are no curves to worry about with it.

You are correct about the holes on the grill. The Blue Ox baseplates extend through the existing holes for the Trailhawk tow hooks. Once you remove the hooks, the baseplates fit right through them. That may not be the case for the other Cherokee models, which I have read the grill may need some modification to accommodate the baseplates.

Good luck with your project and feel free to ask if you need any more help.
Old 12-09-2015, 03:51 PM   #18

Bikinjim
Good to know. Thanks for the information!
Probably won't be able to start the project till this Spring, but I am trying to gather all the intell I can.
Just for yours or anyone else's information, Blue Ox redesigned the Base Plates for the 2016 Trailhawks. The factory rep told me they added a cross member or something or another.
It is supposed to be available sometime this month. I have no ideal how it effects installation. Surely it won't complicate install. I hope.
Thanks again!
Tajas Panhandle
bruscifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 05:02 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have a 2014 Trailhawk. It tows great.
If I had it to do over again, I would get a Grand Cherokee.

Just for more power, and to get a better performing transmission.
We have had several TCM/ECM updates, and it is still jerky in the 1st/2nd shift from a rolling start, or from reverse to drive. I really notice it when I try to quickly back into a parking space, lots of delay and harsh shifting.

The transmission really does not need 9 speeds, it only gets into 9th when you take your foot off the gas going down hill.
They put a lot of gears to make up for the low HP engine.

Installing a tow bar is really pretty simple, but as posted, the entire front apron needs to come off.

Craftsmanship on the vehicle is good, and our dealer has been good.
Going in tomorrow for a check engine light. The code is "bad oil pressure switch". It is intermittent, and I believe it is caused by the switch being slow to open, and the firmware checking the switch status too soon.

Regards,
Dan
Old 12-09-2015, 05:08 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruscifer View Post
Bikinjim
Good to know. Thanks for the information!
It is supposed to be available sometime this month. I have no ideal how it effects installation. Surely it won't complicate install. I hope.
Thanks again!
Careful here...One reason we bought the Trailhawk is that it came with recovery hooks. When installing the towbar receiver pins, they go in place of the recover hooks and fit through the grill. On the Trailhawk, there is an aluminum cross brace between the two frame rails. This is where I mounted my AF1 control box.

Not sure where BlueOx would run their own cross member unless it was under the existing one. Could be a headache...but in general BlueOx is pretty good.

Dan

Tags
toad