Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:10 PM   #43

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rshackleford View Post
Forgot to mention,

I think the variance in hole size and D-Ring pin diameter is due to design and manufacturing tolerances to account for powder coat, paint, sand, mud, temperature expansion, etc... so it is very likely that the hole size in the tab is 1" and the diameter of the pins are 7/8"
Indeed, I would believe so. I actually had to buy a 1" drill bit (hard to fin one!) to shave out a little of the powder coat in mine so that the 1" pin (+ a little for the paint on the pin) would fit. Even then, the first few times I towed I had to hammer in the pins. Now it's worn enough for a very snug fit but doable by hand.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2013, 03:52 PM   #44

The adapter is now shown on the Blue OX website. They call them the SmittyBilt lug adapter. Way to go Statgeek! Now if I can get Chris at LoD to beef up the D-Ring attachment on the Armor Lite. The SmittyBilt XRZ looks like a nice bumper and I may end up purchasing one. Like the Currie Tow Plate the XRZ requires grinding off part of the stability bar on the bottom of the 2012-13 JK.

avid
2015 Bay Star 3103, 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:39 PM   #45

My xrc bumper came yesterday along with the blue ox alpha tow bar. The blue ox clips should ship on Wednesday. I ordered the blue ox stuff from Alicia at etrailer
Old 04-13-2013, 04:51 PM   #46

Does the XRC bumper go on a Cherokee without modifications?

My issue with grinding is that I need occasional MRIs on my aftermarket hip. If I admit grinding then I am going to be required to have a head X-ray before they will allow me in the MRI. Having metal chunks pulled out of one's eyes by the MRI is apparently not a good thing.

avid
Old 04-14-2013, 11:58 AM   #47

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Awesome guys. I knew this would be a great benefit to fellow RV'ers/Jeep'ers, and I knew that BlueOx would benefit too.

Rshackeldord--FYI--I had to shave off the paint in my D-rings with a 1" drill. My hole was maybe 1 or 1 mm shy of 1" and the BlueOx pin is painted which makes it a tad too large. Then I still had to hammer it in and out with a rubber mallet but after a couple of weekend trips, it now goes in an out easily by hand.

And if you look around under the jeep there ARE places to connect the emergency tow cables. I found holes in the frame.

I can completely connect Tow bar, breakaway cables, toad brake system (also from BlueOx--the brake buddy box), and the light cable and be ready to tow in under 10m without rushing or feeling like I "went too fast."
Old 04-17-2013, 09:03 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by avid_dk View Post
Does the XRC bumper go on a Cherokee without modifications?
It went onto the cherokee requiring only one hole to be drilled.
Sounds like i will need to run a rat tail file our drill but inside the holes on the d-ring tabs. The blue ox clips haven't arrived yet. Should ship today.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:11 PM   #49

I ordered the Blue Ox adapters for my aventa tow bar to link to the Smittybilt SRC front bumper on my new '13 wrangler unlimited. The adapter itself looks like a perfect fit, but the pins that go through the adapter and the D-hooks is about 1/8" too thick. I tried it on the XRC bumper I have on the back with the same results. I'm thinking that there is indeed a varying degree of difference due to the powder coating on the smittybilt. I spoke with Roxanne at Blue Ox tonight given that it is a new product. They're going to get back to me on what bumper they tested it on, but I don't think I'll get much help from them. Personally, I think they need to shave 1/8" off the pin or else they're going to be getting a lot of complaints/calls from people. The pins I received look slightly different than the pictures earlier in this thread, but I would think that has some to do with those pictures being a prototype for them. I think I have 3 courses of action here as I'm set on using the D-hooks on the bumper.

1. Locate a pin just a shy thinner
2. find someone to fabricate/shave just a little thickness off the supplied pin
3. find a 1" steel drill bit and widen my D-hook holes just a smidge.

I just thought I'd add this comment to the thread as there is not a whole lot out there regarding these adapters yet.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:57 PM   #50

Well, I looked at this pretty closely earlier tonight, but after deciding I'd just get a drill bit to tweak the opening in the D-hooks on the bumper, I thought I should revisit to make sure I get the right size bit before spending $40 on one. I took one of the pins and tried to insert it again. Again, it was too thick. I took a mini sledge hammer and started knocking it. Low and behold, I couldn't believe how much powder coating was in there that knocked right out. A couple of times in and out and the pins fit fine now! Man I'm glad I did that first! A 1" pin should fit fine, but keep in mind you might need to account for the thickness in powder coating on your bumper! Good luck.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:08 AM   #51

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had the same problem (documented elsewhere here) and I did buy a 1" drill at Home Depot and that did the trick with a little effort.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:42 AM   #52

I used the hammer method. They go in and out pretty easy now.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:58 AM   #53

I called Blue Ox back this morning to let them know I got mine figured out, and let them know I thought the issue was just the textured powder coating on these bumpers. 1/16" of textures coating all the way around the inside of the opening narrows it by a full 1/8". I still think the solution might be for them to manufacture the pin just a little smaller so that it fits easier or else they're probably going to start getting a lot of calls from customers that purchased the adapter. Either way, mine is working and I couldn't be happier! I ran across this thread and the new adapters just in time to save me from anchoring the old style universal adapters on to my beautiful Smittybilt SRC! Thanks for the info guys!
Old 05-03-2013, 12:15 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by RESharp001 View Post
I ordered the Blue Ox adapters for my aventa tow bar to link to the Smittybilt SRC front bumper on my new '13 wrangler unlimited.
Could you tell me more about your SRC bumper? Like how much does it weigh? Did it fit without modifications to your '13 Wrangler? Do you have a link to the one you purchased? Thanks!

avid
Old 05-13-2013, 08:02 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
Blue ox clips--I was their first customer with them but you can buy now. They are awesome. My D-rings are 1" holes in 1" thick steel. This is more solid than the typical skinny bolt.

Note the 10" riser bar to keep things level...
Question for you, where did you hook your safety cables? I towed mine with these Blue Ox adapters for the first time this weekend. The obvvious place to hook your safety cables would be your D-loop, but given that those are now occupied by the towbar, I was curious where you hooked yours. I have a Smittybilt SRC front bumper and ended up wrapping them around one of the tubes and then clicking the safety cable to itself, but I don't like this as a long term solution.

Does anyone else have thoughts? The whole point of getting the Blue Ox adapters was to avoid welding addition linkage on to an awesome bumper.....but what are the alternatives?
Old 05-13-2013, 09:57 AM   #56

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RESharp001 View Post
Question for you, where did you hook your safety cables? I towed mine with these Blue Ox adapters for the first time this weekend. The obvvious place to hook your safety cables would be your D-loop, but given that those are now occupied by the towbar, I was curious where you hooked yours. I have a Smittybilt SRC front bumper and ended up wrapping them around one of the tubes and then clicking the safety cable to itself, but I don't like this as a long term solution.

Does anyone else have thoughts? The whole point of getting the Blue Ox adapters was to avoid welding addition linkage on to an awesome bumper.....but what are the alternatives?
Added holes to the bottom of my bumper - inserted links there as attach point for safety cables.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad