Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:55 PM   #1
Jeep for Toad - Questions.

Good Evening,

My wife and I have a tag DP, we currently flat tow a 2010 Ford Focus. All with blue Ox and the Patriot brake system. It works fine, I set the car up and installed the base plate and wiring myself. We have 2 young girls and generally do trips in our Rv for 1 to 2 weeks at a time.

We have recently considered picking up a mid 2000's Jeep, nothing fancy or too tricked out. Probably a Wrangler TJ. Just for flat towing and to have a toy around the house when we are not using the RV. We understand how popular the Jeeps are as we see many being towed in our travels.

We considered setting up our 2013 F150 but its a 4X2 and would require a driveshaft disconnect. Something I'm not keen to do.
A used Jeep would not replace our 2 current daily drivers it would be used just for what I mentioned above - a toy.

I understand the many negatives of the Jeep from a daily driver standpoint, but I was hoping to find some members that would comment on how they are to tow for occasional use. Any drawbacks from a mechanical stand point or "toad" problems that a first time Jeep owner would have not thought about??

Your comments would be appreciated.

Adam Hunter and Family.
2009 Newmar DutchAire 4330 (The only DA 4330)
2015 F150 SuperCrew Toad
Adam Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2013, 01:17 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Jeep TJ makes an excellent toad. Just put the transfer case in neutral and the transmission in park/gear and tow. Rather than a baseplate I prefer to use a aftermarket bumper with tow brackets or D ring loops. Usually cheaper, more for your money, and you need little or no drop at the MH receiver.

The back seat is small, but ok for a couple small kids for occasional travel.

Cheap and easy to maintain. Simple mechanicals and electrical. Huge amount of tribal knowledge on Jeep forums.

Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:06 AM   #3
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A couple of other options over the TJ (made through 2006) are: a Jeep LJ (long TJ) for more room and possibly a smoother ride over the TJ. or: Jeep Cherokee (not Grand Cherokee), which was made until 2001. The drive train is basically the same as a TJ, but has a 4 door, SUV-styled body (not a convertible). I toad a Cherokee for many years and enjoyed it.

Fran, Mary & Zoey (silver Cocker)
2006 Itasca Sunrise 35A, 2005 W-22, Allison 1000 5 speed
'13 Ford Focus ST or '10 Prius on Master Tow Dolly 80THD-SB or '00 Jeep Cherokee 4-down
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:11 AM   #4
Fleetwood Owners Club
We have a newer 2012 Jeep JK 4 door, I love it as a toad and use it as pretty much a daily driver at home, I have a 300 and a GMC 2500 but love to drive the jeep. I really like the 4 door over the 2
Sally, Hailey (Shih Tzu) and Me!
08 Revolution LE 40E
12 Jeep Wrangler,10 FLHX
WesinRockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:19 AM   #5
Monaco Owners Club
Jeep Toad

We tow a 2006 Jeep Liberty automatic. It's a great little all-around 4w drive car.

The manual says you leave it in park, with the transfer case in neutral, and the ign. switch on acc. You have to be VERY careful when starting out that the key is in the right place or the steering will lock, which will result in a badly scuffed front tire at least if you discover it within a few miles. Ask me how I know this, LOL.

The one undesirable thing that happens is that it is easy to arrive with a dead battery. I am not sure why that is, I am meticulous about turning off accessories. It is not the brakes, because I use the clunky roof directional/brake lights. However, the solution is to start the car once a day and idle it for a while.
ulric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:51 AM   #6
I will have a look online for some of the other models that everyone has mentioned.
The 4 Door Jeep models with lower kms seem to be more money than we would like to put into a occasional toad vehicle that we just use a couple months of the year.

Here in Canada alot of the Jeep products seem to suffer from rust, frame and body mount issues. The road salt is a real killer for them.
I have found a couple of Wranglers, 2 doors, lower kms, like @ 75,000 miles clean and not modified for around $7500......

The search continues. Thanks for your input.
Adam Hunter and Family.
2015 F150 SuperCrew Toad
Old 12-09-2013, 08:21 AM   #7
I presently tow a 2008 Wrangler and it is a great vehicle. Probably towed it around 30,000 miles. I had a 2001 Grand Cherokee that was great to tow and nice to use. I also had a 1985 CJ7. The Wrangler and the CJ7 were both modified to do serious off road adventures at the 35 inch tire level. For your family I would recommend the Grand Cherokee. The ride and room are great and you can go off road exploring a bit. If you are interested in more serious exploring, I would recommend the LJ model recommended in a previous post. If looking for the Wrangler, spend the extra money for the Rubicon models. They give you 4:1 in the transfercase and lockers in both axles.

Have fun.
2001 34' Alpine Coach
2008 Jeep Rubicon or 2012 Ford F150 4x4 Lariat towds
or a couple of different trailers
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:50 PM   #8
American Coach Owners Club
In the area I live, a TJ with 75k miles for $7500 is a great deal. I've owned and towed a TJ and 2 JK's since '05 and am very happy with them as a toad. They were also my DD.
14 AC Eagle DD-13
12 JKU Rubicon
exgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:48 PM   #9
Thanks Dan,

The issue here in Canada is that alot of 10 year old Jeeps are shot because of winter salt on the roads.

Spots like the frame, body mounts. And of course the usual areas including around the windshield hinges, under the rear tailgate and so on.

The latter I can deal with but its the structural stuff that puts alot of our used stuff in the "crap" pile.

Still searching. My wife and daughters found a yellow one with low mileage but I can't seem to get my head wrapped around that colour behind our Holiday Rambler.

Thanks for the continued input.

By the way as my original post mentioned I considered putting a driveshaft disconnect on our new 2013 4X2 F150, but I talked to Ford today and they said it would void all factory warranty - so that idea is off the table.

Adam Hunter and Family.
2015 F150 SuperCrew Toad
Old 12-09-2013, 10:35 PM   #10
Find one south of the rust belt and make a trip in the RV to get it. You could rent a trailer to get it home if you didn't want to either drive it back or wrench on it away from home.
Spinner & Gang
2000 MADP ISC350 2003 Jeep Liberty toad
"Working towards the next vacation!"
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:12 AM   #11
We've towed our 2004 TJ over 100,000 miles behind our motorhome without a single problem. It has another 39,000 miles on the odometer. It's never been back to the dealer for work of any kind. So far the only problem has been a broken heater knob at 16,000 miles. The replacement was so cheap it would have cost more in gas to take it back to the dealer than I paid for the part.

We don't use it for a daily driver. It rides a little stiff, and doesn't have a lot of room, but it's a great off road vehicle. We've considered a newer JK, but it's a bit large for some of the trails and weighs another 1,200 lbs.
2013 Adventurer 32H
Hikerdogs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:23 AM   #12
For the record, the Magnussen-Moss act prevents them from voiding the whole warranty because you used an aftermarket part,they can only void warranty if they can prove that part caused a related failure. But I am fan of Jeeps for toad vehicles,and off-road toys.
Ken Perry Jr.
2006 Alpenlite 31RL and 03 Chevrolet K2500HD
85 4runner (toy) 91 4runner (daily driver)
Shoptech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:58 PM   #13

Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
Find one south of the rust belt and make a trip in the RV to get it. You could rent a trailer to get it home if you didn't want to either drive it back or wrench on it away from home.
That's what I did. I located a 2004 Wrangler Rubicon in Phoenix, AZ that an online auto dealer had. I bought it over the internet and had it shipped to Iowa. Had 27,000 miles on it when I bought it and absolutely no rust. It's my second TJ that I've had as a toad vehicle and I love them. We also use it strictly as a toy, but I use every excuse I can find to drive it as often as possible.

Short wheelbase and tucks in behind the motorhome very nicely. The advice about making sure the key is on the right position while towing is very important. I know from experience and it was a good thing that I needed a new set of tires anyway because I sure needed them after the front wheels locked after a turn.

aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote