Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2014, 01:55 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jeep GC Instructions after towing toad

Greetings:

I looked at my 2012 GC and found the steps necessary to set the transmission up for towing behind the coach. They did not have instructions for when you un-hook. Can anybody share with me what to do and what you have learned? Mine manual has about 6 steps for getting the transmission ready.

Thanks,

Dave
Dave1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2014, 06:54 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Have you actually tried to follow the steps for shifting to the Tow position? The steps are just the opposite to shift back to Run.

Put the key into the Run position, without starting the engine. Shift the transmission into Neutral. Press the button to shift the transfer case back to the Run position. Shift the transmission back to Park. Start the Jeep to ensure the Transfer case has been shifted back to the Run position.

It is a very easy process.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 05:51 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the quick response. I have not tried it yet. We just had the GC set up with base plates and lights. I am going to try it next Saturday with the coach. My mechanic who did the base plates and lights will be there to inspect the hook up and lighting. We will make a few practice runs here at our home before a trip. I have time to make adjustments or solve problems that way.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:06 AM   #4

I find the towing instructions for the new Jeeps in the manual to be relatively worthless........Jeep needs to fix the steps.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:11 AM   #5
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
ALWAYS put the transmission and/or transfer case back in gear, and apply the parking brake before unhooking the tow bar.

I've seen toads roll away because of that and one guy's toad rolled about 200' and just missed my motorhome.

It could also roll toward the motorhome and injure you.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:29 AM   #6

I always leave my safety cables on when unhooking just in case I screwed up.
Robertandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:29 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
great suggestions, thanks!
Old 06-21-2014, 07:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Flat Towing: Jeep Liberty
· Depress the brake pedal and turn the ignition switch to ON/RUN with the engine shut off.
· Shift the transmission into NEUTRAL.
· Shift the transfer case into NEUTRAL by holding down the NEUTRAL PIN switch for 4 seconds until the LED starts to blink. The LED will stop blinking and remain on when the shift is complete.
· Start the engine and shift into DRIVE to ensure there is no vehicle movement.
· Shut the engine off and shift the transmission into PARK.
· Place the ignition switch to the OFF position and remove the key.
· Apply the parking brake, attach the vehicle to the tow vehicle with a tow bar and release the parking brake.
Switching Back to Road Gear: Jeep Liberty
· Apply the parking brake.
· Depress the brake pedal and turn the ignition switch to ON/RUN with the engine shut off.
· Shift the transmission into NEUTRAL.
· Shift the transfer case into RUN by holding down the NEUTRAL PIN switch for 4 seconds until the LED goes off. The LED will remain off when the shift is complete.
· Start the engine and shift into DRIVE to ensure the vehicle will attempt to move.
· Shut the engine off and shift the transmission into PARK.
· Place the ignition switch to the OFF position and remove the key.
· Assure the parking brake is still applied. Remove the Tow Bar from the Jeep.
These are the exact flat towing instructions from my Jeep owner's manual. I retyped them only because the actual paragraph in the PDF file I downloaded from Jeep would not copy and paste from my PDF Reader.

As you can see, they are very straight forward.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-21-2014, 02:58 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Here is the text from a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Manual 5th edition.

Recreational Towing – Quadra–Trac II /Quadra–Drive II Four-Wheel Drive Models

1. Bring the vehicle to a complete stop and shift the transmission to PARK.
2. Turn OFF the engine.
3. For vehicles with Keyless Enter-N-Go, remove the Keyless Enter-N-Go button and use the key fob to complete this procedure. Refer to “Starting Procedures/Keyless Enter-N-Go” in “Starting and Operating” for further information.
4. Turn the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position, but do not start the engine.
5. Press and hold the brake pedal.
6. Shift the transmission into NEUTRAL.
7. Using the point of a ballpoint pen or similar object, press and hold the recessed transfer case NEUTRAL (N) button (located by the selector switch) for four seconds, until the light behind the N symbol starts to blink, indicating shift in progress. The light will stop blinking (stay on solid) when the shift to NEUTRAL (N) is complete.
8. After the shift is completed and the NEUTRAL (N) light stays on, release the NEUTRAL (N) button.
9. Start the engine.
10. Shift the transmission into REVERSE.
11. Release the brake pedal for five seconds and ensure that there is no vehicle movement.
12. Turn OFF the engine.
13. Firmly apply the parking brake.
14. Shift the transmission into PARK and remove the key fob.
15. Attach the vehicle to the tow vehicle using a suitable tow bar.
16. Release the parking brake.

NOTE:
• Steps 1 through 6 are requirements that must be met prior to pressing the NEUTRAL (N) button, and must continue to be met until the four seconds elapse and the shift has been completed. If any of these requirements are not met prior to pressing the NEUTRAL (N) button or are no longer met during the four second timer, then the NEUTRAL (N) indicator light will flash continuously until all requirements are met or until the NEUTRAL (N) button is released.
• The ignition switch must be in the ON/RUN position for a shift to take place and for the position indicator lights to be operable. If the ignition switch is not in the ON/RUN position, the shift will not take place and no position indicator lights will be on or flashing.
• A flashing NEUTRAL (N) position indicator light indicates that shift requirements have not been met.

Shifting Out Of NEUTRAL (N)
Use the following procedure to prepare your vehicle for normal usage.
1. Bring the vehicle to a complete stop, leaving it connected to the tow vehicle.
2. Firmly apply the parking brake.
3. Turn the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position, but do not start the engine.
4. Press and hold the brake pedal.
5. Shift the transmission into NEUTRAL.
6. Using the point of a ballpoint pen or similar object, press and hold the recessed transfer case NEUTRAL (N) button (located by the selector switch) for one second.
NOTE: When shifting out of transfer case NEUTRAL (N), turning the engine OFF may be required to avoid gear clash.
7. After the NEUTRAL (N) indicator light turns off, release the NEUTRAL (N) button.
8. After the NEUTRAL (N) button has been released, the transfer case will shift to the position indicated by the selector switch.
9. Shift the transmission into PARK.
10. Release the brake pedal.
11. Disconnect vehicle from the tow vehicle.
12. Start the engine.
13. Press and hold the brake pedal.
14. Release the parking brake.
15. Shift the transmission into DRIVE, release the brake pedal, and check that the vehicle operates normally.
16. The Keyless Enter-N-Go button (if equipped) may now be reinstalled if desired. Refer to “Starting Procedures/Keyless Enter-N-Go” in “Starting and Operating” for further information.

NOTE:
• Steps 1 through 5 are requirements that must be met prior to pressing the NEUTRAL (N) button, and must continue to be met until the shift has been completed. If any of these requirements are not met prior to pressing the NEUTRAL (N) button or are no longer met during the shift, the NEUTRAL (N) indicator light will flash continuously until all requirements are met or until the NEUTRAL (N) button is released.
• The ignition switch must be in the ON/RUN position for a shift to take place and for the position indicator lights to be operable. If the ignition switch is not in the ON/RUN position, the shift will not take place and no position indicator lights will be on or flashing.
• A flashing NEUTRAL (N) position indicator light indicates that shift requirements have not been met.

I want to add that if you are the original owner of a Jeep you can get the full manuals for free. In the back of the Users Guide look for "PUBLICATIONS ORDERING" and call the number. In my book it's on page 132.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:23 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks everyone! I don't know why my manual does not have the shift back instructions, unless I have missed them. I will print these out and add to glove box!
Old 06-22-2014, 06:23 AM   #11

It appears the steps are roughly the same with my Liberty and Your GC. I suspect these steps are similar for all Jeeps with a shiftable Transfer Case.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-24-2014, 03:53 PM   #12

Dennis K, those are the exact instructions I have and they are still wrong for my year. They just don't want to stay current with the model year.

WORD OF CAUTION! DO NOT TRY AND REMOVE THE KEYLESS ENTER AND GO BUTTON ON A 2014! IT DOES NOT COME OUT!

dub
Old 06-24-2014, 06:22 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubdub07 View Post
Dennis K, those are the exact instructions I have and they are still wrong for my year. They just don't want to stay current with the model year.

WORD OF CAUTION! DO NOT TRY AND REMOVE THE KEYLESS ENTER AND GO BUTTON ON A 2014! IT DOES NOT COME OUT!

dub
Those instructions are for a 2012 GC. A 2014 GC is way different. I have had both years and have gotten the full Owners Manuals for both which have been correct.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:18 PM   #14
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Just as a point. The first thing I do when unhooking is to put the tranny/transfer case back into gear. With a positive engagement I will then unhook the tow bar and the elec.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad, towing