Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-22-2014, 06:09 AM   #43

Freightliner Owners Club
Coyote,

Check post #35 of this thread and follow that procedure where you pull a fuse and reset the transfer case brain. Jeep owners on the JeepForum have tried it and it's worked for a number of people.

Also to get a transfer case brain (FDCM), you don't have to go to a junk yard. You can find one on-line and get it shipped to you (if you are camped in one spot for a week or so).

Car-part.com search
1. Select Year of Jeep
2. Select ‘Jeep Grand Cherokee’
3. Select ‘Computer Box Not Engine’
4. Select to sort results by ‘Year’ (so you can get the right firmware version)
5. Enter your zip code
6. Click ‘Search’
7. A new screen pops up where you select the type of computer box
a. Near the bottom, select ‘Transfer case, NV 245, conventional differential’ if your part number is a ‘129A_’
b. Select ‘Transfer case, NV 245, electronic limited slip differential’ if your part is a ‘199A_’
8. Click ‘Search’
9. You will see MANY pages of junk yards that have the FDCM
a. Scroll through the list for your year and look for ‘129A_’ or ‘199A_’ in the description
b. Even if the description does not have the part number, it would be worth a call to see if the yard can tell you the part number on the phone
c. Remember the FDCM should have a part number that is the same or later letter than yours
i. My 129AM is compatible with a 129AN, but NOT a 129AJ
ii. Same with a 199A_ box
iii. Someone did say that he swapped a 199AM with a 199AL and it worked so you might be OK if the letters are close
d. The rightmost column are the miles away from you so you can scan for someone close but many yards are willing to ship the box. A double check is to call and get the VIN of the donor car. You can then call Chrysler and see if the recall was done.

Good luck!

RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2014, 06:23 AM   #44

I had a jeep Sahara 2007 and had terrible time with the transmission and engine. A sailing buddy of mine worked for jeep and said they made the jeeps by using left over mini van parts for engines and transmissions. I grew up driving them in the 70's and 80's and they were bullet proof then.

Old 02-22-2014, 07:27 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
I had a jeep Sahara 2007 and had terrible time with the transmission and engine. A sailing buddy of mine worked for jeep and said they made the jeeps by using left over mini van parts for engines and transmissions. I grew up driving them in the 70's and 80's and they were bullet proof then.
Its not uncommon to see the same drive line components shared with multiple vehicle lines. AKA engines, subframes. My sisters husband has a Wrangler and it has the Caravan V6 engine in it. I didn't have the heart to tell him his vehicle has the heart of a minivan.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:16 PM   #46

I have a '08 CG with auto everything and took it in for the recall. Since then I've been to 4 different dealers who all said it was bad programming and "fixed" it. I was finally told there was something wrong with the transfer case actuator motor and it would need to be replaced however....there was a 1300 unit back ordered and it would be 2+ months before one "may" be available. We full time and had a long way to go to our wintering grounds.

I called Chrysler/Jeep main customer care number (800-992-1997) and got them to "expedite" the part order. It arrived several weeks earlier than expected then the challenge was to get the dealer to install it. After 7 visits to various dealers in he West, it was installed. So far I haven't gotten it to fail and we're ready to continue to our wintering spots in the next few days. Got our fingers crossed.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:18 PM   #47

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
These are the steps posted on the Jeep Forum by a very resourceful Aussie!
(Credit to Troy123 from New South Wales)

This is what worked for me after getting the n23 recall and getting the dreaded service 4wd system error when I try put it in low.

1. Turned my car on (engine running) checked that the 4wd service message was still occurring when I pulled the low 4wd)

2. turned my car off keys out. opened the bonnet.

3. Went to the fuse box under the bonnet took fuse labelled fdcm/ediff (as per pic)

4.Shut bonnet, got in my car started it with the fuse out put it in drive, drove 2metres forward then put it in reverse drove is 2 m backwards. (Be aware you will get the service 4wd light without pulling up the lever as you are driving)

5. Turned my car off keys out went to the bonnet put fuse back in shut bonnet

6. Started my car put it in drive got the car rolling just below 5kmph (as this makes it easer to slip into low 4wd read manual) knocked it into neutral while rolling pulled the low 4wd switch and it worked

It has now been 5 days I have been checking everyday and its still working also went on the beach last night and worked.

How far can you drive your Jeep with the FDCM / EDIFF fuse pulled out? I would just like to know just in case I have trouble with it on a trip with the RV.

Thanks,
Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:19 PM   #48

Freightliner Owners Club
You are ONLY driving with the fuse out for like 10 FEET! Just enough to reset the codes.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:45 PM   #49

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
You are ONLY driving with the fuse out for like 10 FEET! Just enough to reset the codes.
I understand what your saying about resetting the codes. I was just wondering if you could drive indefinitely without the fuse and would it cause any adverse effects?

Thanks,
Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:10 AM   #50

Freightliner Owners Club
Considering your FDCM handles more than just your actuator (4LO, Neutral, 4HI), I would not drive with the fuse out.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:23 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNuts View Post
I have a '08 CG with auto everything and took it in for the recall. Since then I've been to 4 different dealers who all said it was bad programming and "fixed" it. I was finally told there was something wrong with the transfer case actuator motor and it would need to be replaced however....there was a 1300 unit ....
My question to Chrysler/Jeep would be as to why my actuator worked perfectly fine for 5 years and then fail right after the recall???? IF it was just mine, coincidence, but 100's failling???

My gut feeling is the new firmware they are programming in the module is far less "tolerant" with both the actuator or the FDCM. It is just, IMHO, more than a coincidence that all these parts are failing right after the recall...
HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:30 AM   #52

Smile Jeep N23 recall

Thanks to all of you knowledgeable RVer's especially Troy123 (the Aussie), Sydann, HHIDan (Daniel), & RVThere (Tom & Katherine).

I tried the procedure of removing the fuse, moving the car etc. replacing the fuse and WALA ----- it worked. I disengaged & re-engaged a few times & it is still working. I'm cancelling my appt w/dealer & calling the rep. This proves that it can't be the actuator or the switch. It has to have been caused by the reprogramming. My next door neighbor here in PS bought a new grand Cherokee last month before leaving Oregon rather than waiting the 6 to 8 weeks for a new actuator. They love there new jeep but wish they had checked out irv2.

I am grateful to this web site and all the great "wrenchers" who donate their knowledge to us with less ability. Now, all of us who have experienced this problem need to call the Rep @ 800-465-2001 and ask them to come out with a new "reprogram" to get it right. If they don't someone will file a lawsuit sooner or later and if that happens, we all need to support it. Thanks again for your help.

Coyotepi
Old 02-24-2014, 12:25 PM   #53

Freightliner Owners Club
Glad it worked!

Keep the reset procedure handy as the error code may come back.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:16 AM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
jeep recall

The recall was done on my Grand cherokee in December,2013 and would not work .Went to dealer and they were able to reset. The problem seams to be when the volts drop below 2.80 it will not work . have started a case with Jeep /Chrysler ,they will put me an the list for ALL the replacement parts and cover all labor.In a pinch you can disconnect the - side of battery to reset so you can get on the road.While not towing keep checking it.
We will see how long Chrysler takes to get this solved. I will call every week to remind them.
The # for the U.S. is 800-992-1997
Tim
Old 03-04-2014, 07:24 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagcat View Post
The recall was done on my Grand cherokee in December,2013 and would not work .Went to dealer and they were able to reset. The problem seams to be when the volts drop below 2.80 it will not work . have started a case with Jeep /Chrysler ,they will put me an the list for ALL the replacement parts and cover all labor.In a pinch you can disconnect the - side of battery to reset so you can get on the road.While not towing keep checking it.
We will see how long Chrysler takes to get this solved. I will call every week to remind them.
The # for the U.S. is 800-992-1997
Tim
I have a case # with them too. I called on Friday to see what was going on. Someone is supposed to call me back...
Did THEY tell you about the volts? If the dealer was able to reset, did anyone confirm that the problem was still not resolved and would definitely come back?
Also wonder on what basis they are covering all your expenses, seems they are not covering for everyone??
HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:55 AM   #56

Freightliner Owners Club
Tim - Did you actually clear your C140F/Service 4WD System code by only disconnecting the negative battery cable? I don't think that has worked for anyone else.

Dan - You should go bring printouts of this thread and the one on the Jeep Forum to your dealer so show them that many dealers are picking up the cost. Did you buy your GC new? I think they covered my new actuator because I am the original owner and I have less than 100,000 miles so it falls under the power train warranty.

Tags
recall