Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2014, 07:55 AM   #57

Monaco Owners Club
Jeep recall

No i did not clear the code from battery disconnect, the shop did that on there machine .The guy working on it told me to try that.I have done all the print outs on what worked for other people.
I am going to keep calling tell they get this worked out.We do not have a big trip planed tell July .We are in between a rock and a hard place.We have to much in jeep to sell,brakes,mounting plate,new tires,etc.Wish i would have known about this at the start.May have to sell anyway cut our losses and go on down the road.
I am not a mechanic but may have to learn.
Hope for the best Plan for the worst.
tagcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2014, 08:17 AM   #58

So glad I ran across this thread. I was two days away from bringing my '08 Commander into the shop for an oil change and the recall! I think I'll be skipping the recall for now.
BigInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:23 PM   #59

Freightliner Owners Club
Tim - disconnecting the battery won't clear the codes so your best bet is to print out the 'fuse pull' procedure I listed in post #35 and keep it in the Jeep. That way, if you have the Service 4WD System error, you can temporarily clear the code yourself by pulling the fuse.

I'm towing my Jeep from NJ to FL next week. Currently no code but I'm bringing a computer that can clear the codes and two transfer case computers that did NOT have the N23 recall done. My friend has his Jeep down in FL, so I'll be clearing his codes while I'm down there.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:36 AM   #60

Monaco Owners Club
Tom,I am printing it now putting in jeep.Hope they get this worked out before long,as by about July we will be full time for the most part.I have a whole bunch of things to learn about the M/H i would rather let jeep work on this one.
Thanks for your help. -P.S. If you are ever going throughFayetteville Arkansas we are putting 2 pad sites on our good friends ranch. Gravel at this time but will asphalt in the next 6 months. 1/4 off of I-540 great view,close to town.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0454.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	270.5 KB
ID:	57609  
Old 03-06-2014, 06:29 AM   #61

Freightliner Owners Club
Tim,

Thanks for the invite! We will definitely keep that in mind during our travels.

If you are ever in NJ we have a place for you as well at our farm (yes there are farms in NJ!) which is about 3/4 of a mile off I-78 Exit 11.

Old 03-07-2014, 07:21 AM   #62

Newmar Owners Club
Tom:
I read on one of the Jeep forums that some of the guys are using a small handheld "tuner" to clear the code. Its the kind they use to adjust for different size tires etc. About $250.00 or so.
What are you using to clear the codes?
Thanks,
Mike
2006 GC Limited
MikeyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:49 AM   #63

Mike, use instructions in post #35, has worked for everyone that used it. And it's free!
Old 03-08-2014, 05:03 AM   #64

Freightliner Owners Club
Mike,

Like Dan said, your best bet is the fuse pull procedure listed in post 35 before you spend a dime.

If you want to drop some coin and get some cool toys, you can buy a Flashpaq to clear the code (if you don't have a diesel) or an Autoenginuity.com software package that sits on your laptop for clearing the codes on a diesel Jeep. About $250 and $400 investments respectively.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:28 AM   #65

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks Tom and Dan:
I like the fuse solution and moving the Jeep a few feet when it won't go into neutral. But, I've have heard of guys having the T-case stuck in neutral after towing. Now you're really out of luck with the Jeep stuck in neutral and no way to move it except by pushing. DW will just love that! Has anyone had that problem and tried removing the fuse, starting the Jeep and reinstalling the fuse without moving it?
I hold my breath now every time I disconnect the Jeep.
Wish I had waited to do the recall. Would have never happened.
Thanks,
Mike
Old 03-08-2014, 08:42 AM   #66

I originally called Jeep on the 13th of February. My call went up to "revision" and someone was to call back. I called again on February 28 with my ref. # and was told the person getting back to me was waiting for "engineering" feedback. Still waiting. Not impressed, very lousy handling of this situation.
If you were to get stuck in neutral, at least now you know the fault can be cleared with a ODBII interfaced device so a Chrysler/Jeep dealer would be able to send a mechanic and you may not have to tow. And if you had to tow, I guess you could use your RV !
Old 03-09-2014, 09:54 AM   #67

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyG View Post
Thanks Tom and Dan:
But, I've have heard of guys having the T-case stuck in neutral after towing.
Mike,

I've been digging DEEPLY into this problem since November including reading ALL 1700+ posts in the Jeep Forum and I don't think I've seen anyone mention that they were stuck in neutral. A few mention being stuck in 4LO. Where did you hear about someone stuck in neutral? Sorry to put you on the spot, but I'm trying to make sure all information posted here is substantiated and not just hearsay.

My DW was NOT happy when we were an hour from home picking up our MH from service. Drove the Jeep there with the intent of towing it home. After hooking it up and seeing the Service 4WD System message, it was a tough ask when I had to go inside the warm MH and tell her that she had to drive the Jeep home!

From what I'm seeing, the fuse pull method will last from a few days to a few weeks. That solution clears the code that is stored that prevents the transfer case from going into neutral or 4LO. You can try that method without moving the Jeep and let us know what happens! If you're worried about telling DW its stuck in neutral imagine having to tell her its stuck in neutral because you weren't following a proven fix! LOL

But getting a pre-N23 FDCM is the only 'permanent' fix that's out there now. Being stuck in 4LO is a VERY rare issue that may not even be related to the recall.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:23 AM   #68

Newmar Owners Club
Tom:
I want to say I read it on one of the RV sites, but for the life of me I can't remember where.
In preparation for a trip tomorrow, I checked to make sure the T-case would go into neutral. Of course it wouldn't. Glad I checked. The temporary "fix" worked well. Put a small piece of tape on the fuse for easy identification next time. I should have tried the code reset by removing the fuse, starting the Jeep, but not moving it to see if it would reset. Next time I guess. I got two months and three trips before the Service 4WD warning came up. Filing my complaint with Jeep today.
Mike
Old 03-10-2014, 06:36 PM   #69

Freightliner Owners Club
Just did the same as Mike and hooked up my Jeep to the MH in anticipation of leaving for FL tomorrow night. Mine went into neutral with no trouble (for now).

Safe travels to all!
Old 03-15-2014, 06:10 AM   #70

Monaco Owners Club
pulling the fuse

Had to pick up m/h at shop went to hook up for drive back,there was the service light.Pulled out the instructions on pulling fuse out.IT WORKED.
Thanks for figuring this out.
Everyone that has this problem,please call jeep and start a case.Power in numbers.We did not spend this kind of money on a jeep to have to fix there problem.
Thanks again.tagcat.

Tags
recall