Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-15-2014, 07:20 AM   #71

Tagcat, Did you have to reset (with the fuse) a second time? ie. Does the trouble ever come back after an initial reset?

HHIDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2014, 07:49 AM   #72

Monaco Owners Club
reset

The first time the dealership did the reset.This is the first time i did it with the fuse.We have a short trip this week ,so i have been going out every morning and putting it in neutral,so far so good.The only problem is that when i take it out of the neutral and put it in reverse i got this grinding noise,quickly put it back in park then put it in drive and no noise?? Not sure what that is about some thing is not going all the way in?
I am just glad we have this temporary fix ,so if this happens 2000 miles from home will be able to reset.
I call every week to jeep and let them know still have problem.We all need to stay on there case.Have to much money ,base plate,airforce,etc to get another toad.Did not know this when i got the Grand Cherokee.
Let me know how it works for you and i will do the same.
Tim.(aka-tagcat)

Old 03-16-2014, 08:07 AM   #73

Yep, I had the recall done before knowing there was an issue. Sure enough, the first time I needed to tow it would not go into neutral. Fortunately I was staying at an RV park right next door to a Jeep dealership!

They did charge me $112 to supposedly replace an actuator they said was frozen up, but I was skeptical. Then just this weekend I discovered that I cannot get into 4-Lo. I don't use it much, but will keep the instructions in post #35 in case I need them!
Old 03-16-2014, 08:12 AM   #74

I also had the noise when shifting from neutral. I turn the engine off before shiting to park, no noise.

My dealer wants my instructions which I will be happy to provide him with on monday. He had 27 Jeeps to do, 14 are done and I was the only one to have a problem... I pointed out to him that the other 13 he did probably never use neutral or 4Lo. He said he would be calling them to have them test 4Lo...

I spoke to Jeep, quite honestly I believe they don't care. They are handling calls one by one, if you complain you get a little bit and if you don't complain (or you simply don't know about this whole situation) you donate their dealer about $650 for an actuator or a FDCM module. Or, if you never use 4Lo, you will never know, and the latter is a major proportion of the 300,000 jeeps recalled. Last time I spoke to Jeep, last week, they said they were still waiting for engineering to see if my problem was related to the recall, imagine that. I told them to forget it (after a month) that my problem was fixed (with the help of the internet). They acted surprised . I still like my two Jeeps but very unimpressed with their handling of this situation. Dishonest.

I now tow a Wrangler but have been testing my 4 Lo on the GC every couple of days for the last month since the reset, all good.
HHIDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:30 AM   #75

Monaco Owners Club
jeep gc recall done

I would still stay on Jeeps about the problem,we are not sure when it will return.It may take 6 months but sooner or later with 1000's of people calling about the same thing,they will have to admit the recall was the cause.
Tim
Old 03-24-2014, 10:44 PM   #76

Monaco Owners Club
N23 recall

I'm having the same problem as many of you. My car has been at dealership now for a week. Was told today that Chrysler has sent software update to dealership, who will download it to car tomorrow. We'll see. Once downloaded we are to take our cars and see what happens. This has been going on since January. I'm extremely fed up with this. My dealership tech, has, however, been more upfront then some others, especially since he found out that I have been doing my research. If my, supposed fix, works, I'll get back to you. If it doesn't, I'll also be back. good luck.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:53 PM   #77

Monaco Owners Club
Smile N23 Recall

I'm going to use the suggestion in post 33-35 if jeep isn't fixed tomorrow. I'm glad I saw all the posts. Thanks so much.
Brinley
Old 03-25-2014, 07:45 AM   #78

Freightliner Owners Club
Towed my Jeep from NJ to Florida Keys and back in last two weeks. Put xfer case in neutral twice with no trouble.

While I was down there my buddy had Service 4WD System error on his Jeep. Used my autoenginuity. Com software and cleared his codes so he has 4LO and neutral again.
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 04:36 PM   #79

I just got back from having my appt. with Folsom Dodge/Jeep. I wanted to get home and take it back to the original dealer that did the N23 reprograming. After filing a complaint with Jeep, they gave me a reference number, called me and discussed the problem (not shifting into neutral for towing). I referred her to the irv2.com forum and explained how I used the "fuse remove/replace" method to get it working again. She was aware of the problem and told me to contact the Folsom Jeep dealer and have them contact the "Star Team" who authorizes repair parts for the problems with the N23 Recall. She indicated that they would probably install a new actuator at no cost to me. I did so and they ordered a new "actuator" for me, that subsequently arrived and today they were supposed to install it. When I arrived for the appt. I was told that in the meantime Jeep has come up with a "reprograming fix" for the problem without installing a new actuator. Apparently the original reprograming was done correctly, but they didn't realize that the "gun" or electronic tool they use to do the reprograming ALSO needed to be reprogramed. They have had their gun reprogrammed and have used it to fix the N23 problems that have arisen thus far. They reprogrammed my Jeep GC again, and it appears to be working fine, at least for now. That makes 3 times I have been to this dealer for the same problem. I'm hoping this is the final fix. If not, you can bet I will be back on the forum. The keys to remember when talking with your dealer are the "Star Team" who has the power to authorize repair; and the reprograming of the "gun" or tool they use to do the reprograming. Good Luck to all of you and thanks again for your help. The Coyote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:59 PM   #80

Freightliner Owners Club
This was posted on the Jeep Forum by the Jeep rep and has additional information you may need in discussing your problem with your dealer:

Dealers need to read and perform exactly:
Recall N23
and, if necessary:
STAR Case S1321000016 Diagnostic Trouble Code C140F Transfer Case Range Position Sensor Erratic Performance After Performing Recall N23 .

All a dealer has to do to find this information is to go into TechCONNECT (under the Service tab in DealerCONNECT.)

They need to enter your VIN. If they don't know where to get the information from there, the can just put "N23" in the search field and then click on Recall N23 or STAR Case S1321000016.

If the dealer still thinks the vehicle needs an actuator and goes to order the part, the dealer will get some information to be given to the servicing technician. It basically reiterates how they should be repairing/diagnosing the vehicle. To actually order the part the dealer has to contact our STAR center, rather than ordering it via their computer.

This information to be given the technician is available in GPOP (Chrysler's Part ordering system).
They need to get the tech tip from GPOP.

If they look at the tech tip in DealerCONNECT, they will just be told where specifically to return the part (and who to send it to.)

Different dealers may have different software so they may see the above in slightly different formats.
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:14 PM   #81

Monaco Owners Club
N23 Recall

My Dealer installed the new software in my jeep yesterday, and it is now working. So there is hope out there. One needs to refer to talking to the "Star Team" to get the problem resolved. There is a Post here that explains exactly what I went through too.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:07 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHIDan View Post
I called Chrysler/Jeep on Monday, my file was bumped up to 'revision'. They sound like I'm the first one with the problem.

Someone called me back on Tuesday and said she was doing research and would get back to me. It's Friday, heard nothing yet.

I suppose you could call too (you would probably be also the first to report this situation), Number is 1-800-465-2001

From my readings, for most Jeeps with problem, they are replacing either the actuator (the arm doing the shifting) or the FDCM module (the brain that was re-programmed in the first place).
Wow...imagine...I called yesterday and the lady said Chrysler was unaware of the problem. I encouraged her to dig a little deeper...after a long "on hold" she came back and said she was bumping the problem to research. Maybe Chrysler has a collective problem with long term memory? Don't think I will be sitting by the phone waiting for a prompt, positive solution.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:32 PM   #83

Just a quick update. It has been a couple of weeks since I had the last "flash" done. Have been testing it nearly every day since and so far it seems to be holding. Just hoping Jeep really has figured out the problem.
Old 04-13-2014, 01:23 PM   #84

Took it to the dealer with the Star Team file number and long story short they went thru it and say it needs a new actuator. Jeep is going in tomorrow for this. We took the other Toad this weekend and came home and the Commander battery is DEAD. Only 4 volts. They best not try to tell me that's it's time for a new battery. They did something that drawing the battery down. Boy to I regret getting that recall. I'm not sure if I'll ever trust this thing again! It was great vehicle before this.

Tags
recall