Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:36 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepfreak View Post
Took it to the dealer with the Star Team file number and long story short they went thru it and say it needs a new actuator. Jeep is going in tomorrow for this. We took the other Toad this weekend and came home and the Commander battery is DEAD. Only 4 volts. They best not try to tell me that's it's time for a new battery. They did something that drawing the battery down. Boy to I regret getting that recall. I'm not sure if I'll ever trust this thing again! It was great vehicle before this.
So who's paying the actuator??

HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2014, 06:41 PM   #86

Wife took it in today. They replaced the actuator(they have had the jeep three times and it has not cost me anything except the gas to get there) and reflashed the transfer case computer again. It appears that the battery drain was caused by the drivers side power seat switches that were pressed and stayed pressed after the tech broke the plastic that covers all the mechanicals of the seat. So they ordered another one(at there expense) and the DW will have to make another trip. This time it is shifting and the message center reads neutral. Hope this is there final fix! Don't let them charge you! This is covered under that Star Team File S1321000016.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:36 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepfreak View Post
Wife took it in today. They replaced the actuator(they have had the jeep three times and it has not cost me anything except the gas to get there) and reflashed the transfer case computer again. It appears that the battery drain was caused by the drivers side power seat switches that were pressed and stayed pressed after the tech broke the plastic that covers all the mechanicals of the seat. So they ordered another one(at there expense) and the DW will have to make another trip. This time it is shifting and the message center reads neutral. Hope this is there final fix! Don't let them charge you! This is covered under that Star Team File S1321000016.
Yay!! here's hoping this is a final fix for you. Let us know if the fix sticks this time? My last flash of a couple weeks ago seems to be sticking so far. Hopefully it is right this time. Unfortunately they charged me $95 each time, but I was "stuck" at the time and it seemed a small price to be able to hook up and leave.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:13 PM   #88

FOR TAGCAT
I have the N23 recall problem in my GC as have many others who have discussed this on this forum and other forums as well. I have noticed a grinding noise when I put the transmission in reverse after clearing the service 4wd transmission warning that appears when the "Trail Rated" feature is attempted. BTW. I think Chrysler/Jeep should be sued for false advertising because my Jeep is no longer "Trail Rated". Back to my point though, I am wondering if your sound is more like gears trying to mesh rather than a grinding. Mine is grinding not gears trying to mesh similar to a manual transmission without properly engaging the clutch. Please let me know what your sound is like. Thanks for your reply.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:34 PM   #89

NEWS NEWS NEWS.
My GC has been at dealer for brake issues for the last few days. Got a call just now from from Service Adviser. He said Jeep has just today released a new software update that will fix the N23 recall issue. It has been installed on my GC today. I will pick it up tomorrow. Has anyone else heard about this new software?
Old 04-23-2014, 05:42 PM   #90

My 2006 GC Limited had the N23 recall done last fall, and it worked great until I unhooked it from the motorhome, and it would not go out of neutral. Took it to Jeep Dealer and they checked for the update and found it was done. They said the Transfer case shift motor needed replacing. Called Chrysler Jeep and told them that I didn't have problems until the N23 Recall. Gave me a Star case number, and the dealer found out that there was an update to the N23 recall flash. Dealer re-flashed the N23 and everything is back working. Just picked it up and works fine. No new Transfer Case Shift Motor and Chrysler jeep picked up the complete tab, labor and all, as it should have been. Now to see if it holds...... Dealer said if I have problems in the future take it back to them or another jeep dealer if on the road, and tell them the problem, and they will re-flash it.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:26 PM   #91

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNuts View Post
I have a '08 CG with auto everything and took it in for the recall. Since then I've been to 4 different dealers who all said it was bad programming and "fixed" it. I was finally told there was something wrong with the transfer case actuator motor and it would need to be replaced however....there was a 1300 unit back ordered and it would be 2+ months before one "may" be available. We full time and had a long way to go to our wintering grounds.

I called Chrysler/Jeep main customer care number (800-992-1997) and got them to "expedite" the part order. It arrived several weeks earlier than expected then the challenge was to get the dealer to install it. After 7 visits to various dealers in he West, it was installed. So far I haven't gotten it to fail and we're ready to continue to our wintering spots in the next few days. Got our fingers crossed.
What was the cost of the 'unit' that fixed the problem, and what was it called? I need to order one quick!
Old 05-04-2014, 09:27 PM   #92

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Oops I see it was an actuator motor, I read too quick.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:49 AM   #93

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTrippers View Post
Oops I see it was an actuator motor, I read too quick.
Trippers,

You're still reading too fast. Do NOT waste money on an actuator. You need a FDCM that did not have the N23 recall.

Read this entire thread and pay close attention to posts #12,24, and 26 and you will get some information on how to clear the error codes yourself for a temp fix and how to order a used FDCM.
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 03:52 PM   #94

After 5 reflashes to attempt to fix n23 recall, Jeep (STAR) replaced the actuator. Guess what? Still has the Service 4wd System alert on the dash. Corrupted software is the problem. duh!!! Until a real programmer fixes the software, we will not have a reliable neutral for towing nor 4wl for mudboggin. In the mean time, the fuse pull and a pre-n23 Final Drive Control Module (FDCM) is all we have available to hitch it to our motor home and go.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:25 PM   #95

huh oh… so I'm reading this on here as I'm buying a 05 Grand Cherokee from a family member out of state… Just took it in today to get the "recalls" taken care of before they drive it 1000' mi to me.

Does this recall somehow break the towing capability of the Jeep GC?
Old 05-14-2014, 06:51 AM   #96

YES IS DOES. Don't do recall N23. If it's done, you are cooked. If you never want to tow or use 4wl, it will work. Your options if the recall has already been done are to
1. do the fuse pull trick to temporarily get neutral and 4wl for a few days, or
2. find a pre-n23 recall Final Drive Control Module (FDCM) and install it. This will put the transfer case function back to where it was prior to Jeep's screwing it up with corrupted software.
Go to Jeep Forum - Jeep Enthusiast Network and search N23 recall; no 4wl in the search bar. You will get an eyeful of nearly 180 pages of concerns related to this issue.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:37 AM   #97

I'll get on the horn asap and see if I can stop them!!!!

I can't believe chrysler isn't being more pro-active about this. This will crush the resale value and confidence of jeep consumers. Motor home folk seem to be very word of mouth, and people who are repeat buyers.

This sounds like a very bad business move on Chrysler/Jeeps part.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:50 AM   #98

Whew! Dodged a bullet. Family member was at dealer and stopped them from doing the recall. Just in the nick of time.

Tags
recall