Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2014, 04:26 AM   #99

Monaco Owners Club
The last trip to dealer ,they did replace the actuator& fdcm modual.I still have the problem.Bottom line they do not know how to fix it.I have used the fuse pull trick(do not tell star that you do this just complain ) One time the fuse pull did not work,so we just came up with our own fix a $5500 trailer. I plan on staying on there back and told the case manager i was not going away. Chrysler need to step up to the plate and fix the problem and give so reimbursement for ALL our hassle .Spent about $2500 setting Jeep up for towing,now $5500 for trailer.If i had known this i would have keep my toyota Highlander and just got the trailer.
P.S. car fax DOES NOT SHOW THIS PROBLEM!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1573.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	319.4 KB
ID:	66385  
tagcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2014, 09:38 AM   #100

n23 workaround

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
A few weeks ago, I had a recall done on my 2008 Jeep GC (recall N23) where they were supposed to reprogram my xfer case software.

All seemed fine until this morning. Drove the toad an hour with DW to pick up our MH from the repair shop. Plan was to hitch the toad up to the back of the MH for the peaceful drive home...

Hooked up the toad and went to put the xfer case in neutral which is a simple process. No dice. Would not go into neutral and gave me a message 'SERVICE 4WD SYSTEM'. Tried a few things but still had message. Had to unhook and break the news to DW that she had to drive the toad home. She was not a happy camper!

Did some research and say may others have had this problem after the recall. Another related problem is no 4WD LOW.

So if you had this recall done and will be towing your GC, make sure the xfer case will go into neutral.

I will be calling my dealer tomorrow morning!
I have had the same issues with an 06 Commander. The last "fix" held for months but failed in a CG 2000 miles from home. I did the fuse pull trick and it worked. So far so good. I had spent about $180 on "reflashing", which Chrysler did refund.
tom2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:43 AM   #101

Well , listen to this. Had the n23 done twice in April and finally new actuator. Been checking it at least three times a week since it was "fixed" and it would shift to neutral and back, but hadn't towed it yet. So with the threat of the hurricane We decided to take the Commander instead of the CJ. Hooked it up and everything was normal. Got to the campsite and disconnected to back in and IT WOULD NOT SHIFT OUT OF NEUTRAL!! Got that "service 4wd system message". Tried pulling fuses ect nothing worked. Was about ready to hook it back up when I thought I would try disconnecting the positive battery cable for a minute or so. Then put back on and gave it a try. Saw the 4 wheel low light flash and then it went to normal. I can't trust this thing. Had the DW drive it home this morning as this is her daily driver and I wasn't going to leave her without it. Is there any recourse here? This crap is outrageous!
Old 07-07-2014, 05:21 AM   #102

Freightliner Owners Club
Jeepfreak,

Your only reliable recourse is to buy a pre-N23 FDCM. You can go to your local junk yard and if they don't have one, they can look up the part online and find you one. If they can get the VIN, you can look up online to see if the recall has been done or not.

Six months post reflash and new actuator, I got the error message again last week. Since we're going to the outer banks next week, I put the pre-N23 FDCM in so that I can avoid any problems.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 03:26 PM   #103

I cured the problem. I'm trading it in on a new Jeep Unlimited Rubicon.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:02 AM   #104

Freightliner Owners Club
Finally some news (may I say 'hope') from Chrysler:

Service bulletin number: 21-022-14 -2005-10 wh/wk, 2006-2010 xh/xk
SERVICE BULLETIN NUMBER: 21-022-14 -2005-10 WH/WK, 2006-2010 XH/XK

FYI -

SERVICE BULLETIN NUMBER: 21-022-14
GROUP: Transmission and Transfer Case
DATE: July 10, 2014
SUBJECT:
4WD Lamp Illuminated and Diagnostic Trouble Code C140F Active in Final Drive Control Modules (FDCM) Memory
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves verifying FDCM software level and then flash reprogramming of the FDCM with new software.
MODELS:
2005 - 2010 WH/WK Grand Cherokee
2006 - 2010 XH/XK Commander
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles that have had Recall N23 performed.
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Customers may indicate that the “Service 4WD” indicator in the instrument cluster is illuminated. They may also indicate that the transfer case will not shift from 4WD High, 4WD Low, and/or Neutral once the lamp is illuminated.
Further investigation identifies that a Diagnostic Trouble Code C140F is stored or active in the Final Drive Control Modules (FDCM) Memory
DIAGNOSIS:
If the customer describes the symptom, perform the Repair Procedure.
POLICY:
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:23 AM   #105

Quote:

Thanks. I'll try taking mine in next week and see what happens.
tkcas01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:57 AM   #106

Quote:

FYI -

SERVICE BULLETIN NUMBER: 21-022-14
GROUP: Transmission and Transfer Case
DATE: July 10, 2014
SUBJECT:
4WD Lamp Illuminated and Diagnostic Trouble Code C140F Active in Final Drive Control Modules (FDCM) Memory
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves verifying FDCM software level and then flash reprogramming of the FDCM with new software.
MODELS:
2005 - 2010 WH/WK Grand Cherokee
2006 - 2010 XH/XK Commander
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles that have had Recall N23 performed.
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Customers may indicate that the “Service 4WD” indicator in the instrument cluster is illuminated. They may also indicate that the transfer case will not shift from 4WD High, 4WD Low, and/or Neutral once the lamp is illuminated.
Further investigation identifies that a Diagnostic Trouble Code C140F is stored or active in the Final Drive Control Modules (FDCM) Memory
DIAGNOSIS:
If the customer describes the symptom, perform the Repair Procedure.
POLICY:
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.

thanks. I have had to do the "fuse pull" trick twice in the last month. Any idea what the "Repair Procedure" is? Any hope that it will REALLY work?
Old 07-14-2014, 07:07 AM   #107

Freightliner Owners Club
Tom,

No idea on what the 'repair procedure' is. I'm taking mine in a week from Thursday to get zapped.

I'm OK for now since I have a pre-N23 FDCM in there so I can tow my Jeep down to the outer banks later this week.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:34 AM   #108

I am new to this problem, we have never used my wifes GC as a Toad, we have pulled my wrangler. So I thought I would go check here GC which has had the N23 update, and sure enough it wont go into neutral or 4-lo, and has the 4WD alarm. I tried to pull the fuse, but it did not work. One problem I have is we have 2 fused marked FDCM. One is a 30 amp in the Integrated Power Module under the hood, fuse #22, and the other is in the Power Distribution Center under the hood fuse #33, a 20 amp fuse which is the FDCM and E-diff. This 20 amp is the one talked about in the write up, but it had no effect on mine. Just to be sure, it sounds like this new service bulletin is a fix? Am I correct to assume this? And if so, do all the Jeep dealers know about this, or will I have to refer them to this forum, and print out all of the info? Thanks Phil
brennaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:46 AM   #109

Monaco Owners Club
We have had the G C in 5 times and each time they said this was the fix.Now they sent out another fix in July saying this is the right fix.We got a trailer as we had to keep traveling and could not just hope it would go in to neutral.
Have you started a case with star(costumer service)? As this is a way for them to know the problems you are having.
Good luck.I will take the g c in just because they will do the new recall,i will not know if it works because we now put it in the trailer.
tagcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:20 PM   #110

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brennaman View Post
I am new to this problem, we have never used my wifes GC as a Toad, we have pulled my wrangler. So I thought I would go check here GC which has had the N23 update, and sure enough it wont go into neutral or 4-lo, and has the 4WD alarm. I tried to pull the fuse, but it did not work. One problem I have is we have 2 fused marked FDCM. One is a 30 amp in the Integrated Power Module under the hood, fuse #22, and the other is in the Power Distribution Center under the hood fuse #33, a 20 amp fuse which is the FDCM and E-diff. This 20 amp is the one talked about in the write up, but it had no effect on mine. Just to be sure, it sounds like this new service bulletin is a fix? Am I correct to assume this? And if so, do all the Jeep dealers know about this, or will I have to refer them to this forum, and print out all of the info? Thanks Phil
Seems many dealers claim that they know nothing of the problem.

I'm bringing my Jeep in on Thursday to get the new software.

PS - I have a pre-recall FDCM and it worked fine this weekend pulling my Jeep from NJ to OBX and back.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:34 AM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by brennaman View Post
I have a 06 Commander...am on a long RV trip...I have had to resort to the fuse pull trick 3 times now and it has worked each time, thank the Good Lord! Each time was in a place that service would have been difficult so I am very thankful for this workaround. I pull the fuse, back up 10 ft, pull forward 10 ft, put the fuse back in and the shift procedure works (although I will admit that I get quite anxious each time!)
Old 07-23-2014, 07:14 AM   #112

Smile

I have done the fuse pull about 7 times, works fine. Will do this until jeep has a proper fix. It is to far to a dealer to go unless fix will last. Dealer is about 60 miles one way. Last fuse pull was for going into neutral. I had jeep all ready to tow when the message came on dash, i did not unhook just opened hood removed fuse ,started jeep put it into drive and reverse put fuse back in jeep shifted as normal into neutral. When i arrived at home it went into drive as usual. fuse pull sometime lasts for several weeks one time only a day would be problem if much off road was done ,this i do not do only tow behind rv.
rebel

Tags
recall