Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:29 AM   #113

Freightliner Owners Club
You guys who are getting anxious about the fuse-pull fix need to invest in a pre-N23 FDCM! Put mine in for a RV trip this weekend and the xfer case popped into and out of neutral each time with no issues.

RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2014, 10:34 AM   #114

Would like to have a pre n fdcm none in my area at this time joys of being in Canada
rebel

Old 07-23-2014, 11:49 AM   #115

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelcarm View Post
Would like to have a pre n fdcm none in my area at this time joys of being in Canada
rebel
Rebel,

Do you need a 129A_ or a 199A_?

I found two 199's at Standard Auto Wreckers in Ottawa.

Chassis Control Box(not Engine)
Jeep Grand Cherokee TRANSFER CASE, ID# 56044199AH A 197BA $100 Standard Auto Wreckers Yard #2 - OARA, ARA, URG Can-ON(Toronto) Request_Quote 1-800-668-5014 Request_Insurance_Quote

Chassis Control Box(not Engine)
Jeep Grand Cherokee TRANSFER CASE, ID# 56044199AM B 520BH $100 Standard Auto Wreckers Yard #2 - OARA, ARA, URG Can-ON(Toronto) Request_Quote 1-800-668-5014 Request_Insurance_Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:24 PM   #116

Smile

I did reply in my email box, will do it here also. Thanks for the reply.
my jeep is a 2008 GC module under rear seat is a p56044129am if they have one for $100 i will take it.
Thanks again i am in Haliburton, ontario
rebel
Old 07-24-2014, 08:47 AM   #117

Freightliner Owners Club
Went to the Jeep dealer this morning and got the new N23 software flashed onto my FDCM. Still works after the 15 mile ride home.

Let's see how long it lasts! I'm keeping my pre-N23 FDCM handy...
Old 08-26-2014, 03:49 PM   #118

Freightliner Owners Club
A little over a month later and 4LO is still working. From the Jeep forum, there was a procedural update on July 29 but no change to the actual software flash. There are also some reports that this latest flash has failed so I'm keeping my pre-N23 FDCM in the Jeep with my back seat un-bolted!
Old 08-26-2014, 04:29 PM   #119

Bought a 2008 Overland for use as a toad 7months ago.Two weeks later and no 4lo or 4n. Spoke to 3 different Stealerships about the issue and they all told me that the n23 recall would of had nothing to do with not being able to put the transfer case in 4lo or 4n.Did alot more reading on the Jeep Forum site and picked up a pre n23 FDMC. Six months since and my Jeep has no issues with 4lo or 4n . My advice would be to swap out your FDMC and when they finally resolve the problem that they made put your ruined FDMC back in and let them fix it at NO COST to you.
2003 34FDDS Alpine Banks 430hp #74869
Viola, Idaho 3rd Armored Cav & 3rd Infantry Division
tiredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:33 AM   #120

Had my 06 GC reflashed the 8th time on July 30 in Spokane. Worked perfectly since. Have traveled about 2000 miles towing and another 1000 on it's own power and used 4wl and tested neutral during that time. I'm thankful it's working. Will update this forum if it fails. Fuse pull and pre FCDM are standing by just in case though.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:20 PM   #121

Freightliner Owners Club
TSB for latest software update

This is the TSB procedure for the latest update:

http://www.wkjeeps.com/TSB/tsb_wk_2102214a.pdf
Old 09-27-2014, 02:06 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
As far as I can find the fixes are as follows (in order of priority):

1. Don't get the recall done!
2. If you got the recall done, find an transfer case computer from a wrecked Jeep GC that did not have the recall done and swap yours out. (that is what I will attempt this weekend).
3. Get a 'FlashPaq' tuner (if you have a gas engine), and clear the code every time the warning message appears. This is the route that many on the Jeep Forum are doing. I have a diesel version of the Jeep GC and they don't make a tuner for the diesel version.
4. Take it to Chrysler and they will tell you that you need a new actuator motor, it is on backorder for many months, and that it will fix your problem. Issues are that you many need to leave on your trip before the actuator motor arrives, and, from what I'm reading, the warning message can come back even after the actuator motor is installed.
5. If you are away from home and can't flat tow your GC, you can rent a UHaul car trailer and drag it back home that way.

Like I said before, flat towing a GC was a no-brainer and so reliable. I can't believe Chrysler screwed this up!
This is exactly what has happened to several hundred Jeep owners that had the N23 "fix". My second shift motor is now giving the service 4WD system. The Jeep place in Mercedes, TX could not find a motor for the month we were down there. They did a manual shift to get it back into drive and my wife drove it home following the MH. I found a used one and installed it and it worked just fine until we were on a trip and when getting ready to head home got the message. Would not shift into neutral. It appears that Chrysler is not going to do anything about the problem. Local Jeep service center wanted $300 to install. I installed it myself, 3 bolts and one electrical plug, took maybe 15 minutes. Easy reach from driver side of auto.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:43 PM   #123

GC went right into neutral for towing without any problems. Made it back to TX but will still be checking to see if it holds. I'm beginning to have a little hope here that it was done right in Spokane. I think that the KEY is that it's DONE RIGHT. Follow the instructions exactly right (which is apparently hard to do for some ADHD technicians) and it just might work. We will see...
Old 09-29-2014, 08:14 AM   #124

Monaco Owners Club
There was a new re-call in July. That seemed to work. They have now issued another one that is a back up for that one.I talked to my service dept yester day and he advised to get this one done also.As you said it has to be done right.The tect in service knows his stuff so i trust him.I am going to follow the play book on this ,so if it gets right down to it and i or we have to go through other actions with customer service we can say we did what they advised.Remember they are the ones that caused the problem.
My dealer has been great ,gets me a rental,has not charged me a dime so they are working with me.(Lewis Chrysler & Dodge in Fayetteville Ar) We bought a trailer to solve the problem,but still want the G C fixed right incase we want to take a short trip and tow.
Good luck everyone
Old 10-19-2014, 08:05 PM   #125

My n23 July 30 re-flash is still working correctly. That re-flash was done along with a new actuator so that combination may have taken care of the cracked circuit board issue that supposedly initiated this whole mess. So if that "fix" is indeed for real, does anyone have an idea of how long to hold on to a Pre-N23 FDCM? I'm thinking at least a year meaning the end of summer 2015 minimum. I know the FDCM's are beginning to be hard to find and if I'm truly ok, it may be that someone else whose not so lucky may need it.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:12 PM   #126

Freightliner Owners Club
I would get rid of my spare tire before I got rid of the pre-N23 FDCM as I will never take switching the xfer case into neutral for granted.

Tags
recall