Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2013, 08:29 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Jeep GC recall done - now xfer case won't shift into neutral

A few weeks ago, I had a recall done on my 2008 Jeep GC (recall N23) where they were supposed to reprogram my xfer case software.

All seemed fine until this morning. Drove the toad an hour with DW to pick up our MH from the repair shop. Plan was to hitch the toad up to the back of the MH for the peaceful drive home...

Hooked up the toad and went to put the xfer case in neutral which is a simple process. No dice. Would not go into neutral and gave me a message 'SERVICE 4WD SYSTEM'. Tried a few things but still had message. Had to unhook and break the news to DW that she had to drive the toad home. She was not a happy camper!

Did some research and say may others have had this problem after the recall. Another related problem is no 4WD LOW.

So if you had this recall done and will be towing your GC, make sure the xfer case will go into neutral.

I will be calling my dealer tomorrow morning!
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2013, 08:16 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
How silly for them to feel the need to put a ECM on a transfer case?!?
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:36 PM   #3

recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
How silly for them to feel the need to put a ECM on a transfer case?!?
It seems I have the same problem,went to tow car here to yuma Arizona from Ontario Canada about 3000 miles, car is still at home. Would not shift to neutral I have done this hookup many times before the recall.Have had no replies to my email from my dealer back home, [had to rent car here]. Recall was just done before this problem showed up.Hope someone has a fix for when I return home next April
rebel
rebelcarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 07:34 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
here is a thread about the N23 recall. N23 Recall Issue? No 4-Low! - JeepForum.com

(the thread is 51 pages long)

Here is post #6
"I am glad I read this.They are doing a software work around for a cracked PC board that controls the transfer case.The only way I will let them touch mine is when they agree to replace the module that controls the transfer case.This came up in a conversation I was having with an automotive tech I know.We had a good laugh about the software re-write to fix a cracked PC board.He worked for Chrysler for years and we had lots of laughs at the the way they did some recalls.We talked about how it could screw up the way the transfer case would work after the up date.I see from your posts that it did screw things up."
Old 12-24-2013, 08:33 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Even though Chrysler is looking at my Jeep on Thursday, it seems from the posts on the Jeep forum (it took me a couple days to go through all the posts!), that the only reliable solution is to get a transfer case brain box from a wreck that did not have the N23 recall update.

I'm concerned for all the RV'ers who had this recall done and won't realize the problem until they're ready to leave on spring and summer trips. The transfer case neutral has worked so reliably in the past, it's not something you think about until an hour before you're ready to leave and you hook up the toad!
Old 12-24-2013, 08:38 AM   #6

recall

This problem is not the transmission as some people have mentioned, it may also be a new Jeep issue. It is a transfer case problem, I understand all 4 wheel drives have this, it may have been only the remote start that causes this recall, do hope they have a fix as my Jeep has been a great tow car.
Rebel
Old 12-24-2013, 08:54 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelcarm View Post
....... It is a transfer case problem, I understand all 4 wheel drives have this, it may have been only the remote start that causes this recall, do hope they have a fix as my Jeep has been a great tow car.
Rebel
I don't think the newest Wrangler have ever had a electric or computer operated transfer case.
This sounds more a lot like a Daimler Benz design problem than a Chrysler or Jeep problem.
I won't EVER buy a Jeep vehicle with that kind of controls.
Where I work the newer Freightliner School buses are having all kinds of computer glitches (Freightliner is owned by,..... Daimler Benz)
It so bad that many of the schools are now buying 3-4 used buses for less than 1/3rd the cost of a 1 new bus.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:42 AM   #8

recall

If no fix? this also is my last electric 4 wheel drive shift car,it is paid for. looks like it will be sent to the scrap yard, have to wait to see what will take place with a reflash when back home.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:46 AM   #9

reflash

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
Even though Chrysler is looking at my Jeep on Thursday, it seems from the posts on the Jeep forum (it took me a couple days to go through all the posts!), that the only reliable solution is to get a transfer case brain box from a wreck that did not have the N23 recall update.

I'm concerned for all the RV'ers who had this recall done and won't realize the problem until they're ready to leave on spring and summer trips. The transfer case neutral has worked so reliably in the past, it's not something you think about until an hour before you're ready to leave and you hook up the toad!
That is the same way my Jeep problem started, also would like to find another control before I go home in the spring. Will keep watching to see how this turns out.
Good Luck
rebel
Old 01-01-2014, 05:49 PM   #10

What if any is the fix to this problem? replace shift motor and mode
sensor assembly?
Harleybiker4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 05:51 PM   #11

What if any is the fix. replace the shift motor and mode
sensor assembly?
Harleybiker4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:08 AM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
As far as I can find the fixes are as follows (in order of priority):

1. Don't get the recall done!
2. If you got the recall done, find an transfer case computer from a wrecked Jeep GC that did not have the recall done and swap yours out. (that is what I will attempt this weekend).
3. Get a 'FlashPaq' tuner (if you have a gas engine), and clear the code every time the warning message appears. This is the route that many on the Jeep Forum are doing. I have a diesel version of the Jeep GC and they don't make a tuner for the diesel version.
4. Take it to Chrysler and they will tell you that you need a new actuator motor, it is on backorder for many months, and that it will fix your problem. Issues are that you many need to leave on your trip before the actuator motor arrives, and, from what I'm reading, the warning message can come back even after the actuator motor is installed.
5. If you are away from home and can't flat tow your GC, you can rent a UHaul car trailer and drag it back home that way.

Like I said before, flat towing a GC was a no-brainer and so reliable. I can't believe Chrysler screwed this up!
Old 01-02-2014, 08:45 AM   #13

jeep problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
As far as I can find the fixes are as follows (in order of priority):

1. Don't get the recall done!
2. If you got the recall done, find an transfer case computer from a wrecked Jeep GC that did not have the recall done and swap yours out. (that is what I will attempt this weekend).
3. Get a 'FlashPaq' tuner (if you have a gas engine), and clear the code every time the warning message appears. This is the route that many on the Jeep Forum are doing. I have a diesel version of the Jeep GC and they don't make a tuner for the diesel version.
4. Take it to Chrysler and they will tell you that you need a new actuator motor, it is on backorder for many months, and that it will fix your problem. Issues are that you many need to leave on your trip before the actuator motor arrives, and, from what I'm reading, the warning message can come back even after the actuator motor is installed.
5. If you are away from home and can't flat tow your GC, you can rent a UHaul car trailer and drag it back home that way.

Like I said before, flat towing a GC was a no-brainer and so reliable. I can't believe Chrysler screwed this up!
This is problem I have,[as i mentioned in an earlier post] so far after email to my dealer in Canada I have had no reply. Have no car with me stuck here for winter only option is to rent. I will look for different tow car upon my return home. No thanks to Chrysler.
Rebel
Old 01-06-2014, 06:47 AM   #14
aza

I have a 2010 Jeep Rubicon that I tow. My problem is different yet somewhat related. Four times now I was not able to shift the transfer case out of neutral. In fact the whole linkage jams up. Every time resulted in a lengthy stay at the jeep dealer. They said it has to do with the ignition switch. Last time I had to leave the jeep over a thousand miles from hole for three weeks while I drove home and then had to retrieve my vehicle at quite an expense to me in money and time. The dealers never seem to have the parts to repair the problem. Good news is my vehicle only has 22K miles on it and it has a lifetime warranty. Bad news every time I have to rent a car and park my RV while they work on it... all at my expense!
aza is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
recall