Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2014, 04:59 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoyrv View Post
What years did the recall apply to? Are new GC affected?
2005-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Have you folks reported the incidents to the NTSC.. I mean it may need a recall to fix the recall.
According to jeep forum, yes some people have filed reports with Transport Safety, being ignored for now... Some are talking about class action suit also.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2014, 06:28 AM   #30
aza

I have a 2010 jeep rubicon. 33k and a lifetime warranty. It locked up 6 times so far. Never at home and generally takes weeks to fix. Nothing to do with a recall. Also my ignition switch locks and I have to get it towed to the dealer.

Therefore when u travel my towed spends most of the time at a dealer while I pay to rent a car! In short my jeep is junk!
aza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:32 AM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trose View Post

Therefore when u travel my towed spends most of the time at a dealer while I pay to rent a car! In short my jeep is junk!
Well, there you go. You see, I was planning on trading my Saturn for a Jeep. However, now I think I'll keep the Saturn. Glad I read this post!
Old 02-17-2014, 09:55 AM   #32
aza

Save your money! In addition to the numerous ignition lock up where the key can't b used and it can't b started, and the transfer case issues, my front differential fell apart and took the dealer several weeks to repair. One of the breaks ate itself and did $600 damage.

I'm considering getting rid of it an renting wherever I travel.
aza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:55 PM   #33

N23 fuse removal

If you have done the recall and are getting the service 4 wheel drive message, there is a temporary fix. With the engine off remove the 20 amp fuse under the hood labeled FDCM EDiff. then start jeep and move forward and back about 10 to 15 feet. turn off engine and reinstall fuse.
You should be able to now get into neutral and or 4wlo. Not a permanent fix but will get you going. Go to jeepforum n23 reall issues page 91 for another example with pictures. I did this today on my 07 JGC and it worked
sydann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:32 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydann View Post
If you have done the recall and are getting the service 4 wheel drive message, there is a temporary fix. With the engine off remove the 20 amp fuse under the hood labeled FDCM EDiff. then start jeep and move forward and back about 10 to 15 feet. turn off engine and reinstall fuse.
You should be able to now get into neutral and or 4wlo. Not a permanent fix but will get you going. Go to jeepforum n23 reall issues page 91 for another example with pictures. I did this today on my 07 JGC and it worked
That worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I thought this was more or less the same as unplugging the FDCM as suggested in a earlier post but apparently not...

I contacted Chrysler/Jeep yesterday and spoke to a friendly lady for about 1/2 hour and she seemed to want to help but it did not look like she could. She ended up saying she would send my case to "revision" and someone would call within 24 hours. A less friendly lady called today and said she was not able to reach my dealer I bet she tried hard. She said she needed more time. I will not tell her or the dealer the stupid thing seems fixed. I'm gonna wait to see what they say.

Anyways, as usual, thanks everyone for the help. No choice but to become a IRV2 supporter now.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:14 AM   #35

Freightliner Owners Club
These are the steps posted on the Jeep Forum by a very resourceful Aussie!
(Credit to Troy123 from New South Wales)

This is what worked for me after getting the n23 recall and getting the dreaded service 4wd system error when I try put it in low.

1. Turned my car on (engine running) checked that the 4wd service message was still occurring when I pulled the low 4wd)

2. turned my car off keys out. opened the bonnet.

3. Went to the fuse box under the bonnet took fuse labelled fdcm/ediff (as per pic)

4.Shut bonnet, got in my car started it with the fuse out put it in drive, drove 2metres forward then put it in reverse drove is 2 m backwards. (Be aware you will get the service 4wd light without pulling up the lever as you are driving)

5. Turned my car off keys out went to the bonnet put fuse back in shut bonnet

6. Started my car put it in drive got the car rolling just below 5kmph (as this makes it easer to slip into low 4wd read manual) knocked it into neutral while rolling pulled the low 4wd switch and it worked

It has now been 5 days I have been checking everyday and its still working also went on the beach last night and worked.

RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:18 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHIDan View Post
I'm surprised this thread is not more active as it probably affects thousands of RVers that tow Jeeps.
Im sure Jeep forums are buzzing with this particular problem... remember, this is a RV forum.
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:16 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redridge View Post
Im sure Jeep forums are buzzing with this particular problem... remember, this is a RV forum.
80% or Rv toads are Jeeps. And this is specifically a situation where you won't be able to go into neutral to be able to tow... And the thread is in the RV toad section...

Sorry but I feel this thread is most relevant .
Old 02-19-2014, 09:21 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHIDan View Post
80% or Rv toads are Jeeps. And this is specifically a situation where you won't be able to go into neutral to be able to tow... And the thread is in the RV toad section...

Sorry but I feel this thread is most relevant .
I hear you, Im just saying 3 pages in RV forum VS 92 pages in a jeep forum for the well known N23 recall and its not just a neutral issue, it's much bigger. Just saying...

N23 Recall Issue? No 4-Low! - JeepForum.com
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:42 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redridge View Post
I hear you, Im just saying 3 pages in RV forum VS 92 pages in a jeep forum for the well known N23 recall and its not just a neutral issue, it's much bigger. Just saying...

N23 Recall Issue? No 4-Low! - JeepForum.com
Sorry, I see what you're saying now. I misinterpreted, must be my french accent . Cheers!
Old 02-21-2014, 02:27 PM   #40

Recall N23 problem with Jeep GC

I'm currently in Palm Springs with the same problem. I had my GC re-programed in Nov and in Dec while trying to hook up, the transfer case wouldn't disengage. I took it back to the dealer in Folsom, CA who indicated there was a second part to the re-programing they apparently didn't do. They completed the re-programing and it worked fine on our trip from No. CA to So. CA. While getting ready to hook up at Orange County for the trip over to Palm Spgs. it wouldn't disengage once more. The PS dealer has seen the problem before and wants to order a new actuator motor & a new switch saying one of the two will work. After reading the various blogs I'm doubting it. Anyone have any ideas other than going to a salvage yard? Anyone talking with the Chrysler / Jeep District Representatives yet?

Thanks,

Coyote & Coyote-ette
2003 Monaco Windsor
2005 Jeep GC
Old Hangtown, CA
coyotepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:05 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotepi View Post
I'm currently in Palm Springs with the same problem. I had my.......... Anyone talking with the Chrysler / Jeep District Representatives yet?

\\,

Coyote & Coyote-ette
2003 Monaco Windsor
2005 Jeep GC
Old Hangtown, CA
I called Chrysler/Jeep on Monday, my file was bumped up to 'revision'. They sound like I'm the first one with the problem.

Someone called me back on Tuesday and said she was doing research and would get back to me. It's Friday, heard nothing yet.

I suppose you could call too (you would probably be also the first to report this situation), Number is 1-800-465-2001

From my readings, for most Jeeps with problem, they are replacing either the actuator (the arm doing the shifting) or the FDCM module (the brain that was re-programmed in the first place).
Old 02-21-2014, 10:55 PM   #42

coyoto,
contact me direct I am in Desert Hot Springs
sydann38@yahoo.com
sydann is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
recall