Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-22-2015, 07:53 PM   #1

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Jeep Grand Cherokee

Are all Jeep Grand Cherokees Flat tow able? If not which ones are not. I'm not sure if I will buy new or used.
Thank you

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2015, 08:11 PM   #2

Family Motor Coach Association

If you were a member you could access their towing guides for several years back that specify what vehicles can be towed and what procedures need to be followed to tow them.

Old 11-22-2015, 08:22 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
No, not all. Has to have 4WD and the right transmission/transfer case. The exact one needed varies by year. You can go to jeep.com, owner's section, and download the owner's manual for the one you're interested in. It'll say in the "Recreational Towing" section.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:12 AM   #4

As Flying Diver mentioned, you need a 4 wheel drive version, and there are a few different types of transmissions used on the 4x4. Basically you need to be able to shift the transfer case into neutral either manually or electronically. I know on the new Grand Cherokees, you need a Limited or above trim level to get the correct transmission. Laredo line does not work.
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 09:21 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
FYI, the ability to flat tow has nothing to do with the transmission, it's all about the transfer case.
Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 09:01 PM   #6

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ok I guess my question was stupid> What i should have said was>>>>Do all Jeep Grand Cherokees have a transfer case?
I am totally not a Chrysler fan and I absolutely hate Fiat. But it seems the Grand Cherokee might just work for what I want.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:12 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
You have to be specific to the year you are looking at. We tow a Wrangler and the DW's 2015 Grand Cherokee SRT is flat towable. Once you have decided on the year, go to the Jeep website and view the owners manual to make sure.
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 09:35 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by narampa View Post
Ok I guess my question was stupid> What i should have said was>>>>Do all Jeep Grand Cherokees have a transfer case?
I am totally not a Chrysler fan and I absolutely hate Fiat. But it seems the Grand Cherokee might just work for what I want.
2WD JGCs do not have transfer cases. 4WD models do, but not all have a neutral position. That's the critical item.

If you get a 4WD model with a neutral position in the transfer case, you're good to go. Look in the owner's manual. If it has instructions on how to put the TC in neutral, then you know.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by narampa View Post
Not a stupid question. We recently looked at Grand Cherokees, and I was surprized to find the Laredo models, including 4x4 were not flat towable. A lot of the new vehicles now have electronic transfer cases. You need to be careful what works and what doesn't.
As an aside, why on earth does anyone need an 8 speed transmission on a Jeep !!
Old 11-23-2015, 11:40 PM   #10

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the replies I learned a lot here. Now I will be on the chase.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:49 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In most cases the Transfer case will have "N" pin hole in order to place it in neutral position. The Cherokee also fits this bill as long as it has the Active Drive II Transfer case. It may not be as big on the outside as a GJC but I think the inside passenger space is bigger, not cargo space seems bigger.
Old 11-26-2015, 04:37 PM   #12

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I gave up on used so.

Yesterday I went to the Jeep/Chrysler/Fiat or what ever it might be called dealership.
Told the sales guy I wanted a New Jeep Cherokee, laid out the perimeters for it and they were. Light color exterior,cloth seats and must be able to flat tow. They have access to hundreds of dealerships and I have heard nothing.
I called the Dude a day later and he said he was working on it. That was 5 hours ago and nothing. Are they that hard to find?
Old 11-26-2015, 04:54 PM   #13

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ok the Dealer just called. He says what would work for me is a Jeep Cherokee North. I never heard of it. Your Ideas please.
Are they any good?
Old 11-26-2015, 08:04 PM   #14

I think you would need the Jeep Active Drive 2 transmission option. " North " is a package of options. Of course the Salesman recommended the most expensive model available !? - Starting MSRP of 31k.
There has been a fair amount of comment on various sites, including this one, concerning transmission issues on the new Cherokees. I would proceed with caution