Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:32 PM   #15
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
Thanks KIX, more info for my limited brain database Would I be correct to assume that all Jeeps in those years and later have a "no worry" TC?
All the 6 cyl 4.0L engine ones will have the 231 tc

KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2013, 08:38 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
OK, Thanks!

clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:17 AM   #17

John,
As has been stated, Jeeps are an expensive commodity. Just about any year/model. However, having as many as we've had, and built all of them go anywhere we pointed them, we personally would ABSOLUTELY NEVER return to a LEAF SPRUNG JEEP! The ride quality of the newer TJs is so superior that it's really a no brainer. And, as for a 4 cyl Jeep, I personally would never have one. They can't get out of their own way.

Obviously one of the best Jeeps one could procure is at least an '04 or newer Jeep Rubicon. The Rubies have several improvements/enhancements that tower over all the other stock production Jeeps. They have both front and rear Dana 44 differentials. Both front and rear controllable locking diffs. And, the rear is also a seriously strong limited slip. So, you get the both of best worlds there.

And, the Rubi runs what's called the "241OR". It's an enhanced version of the 231 only it has a 4:1 low range, right from the factory. That makes for outstanding slow-control off roading in all situations and great down hill braking without the use of the brakes. But, the Rubi also commands a much higher price too.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:32 AM   #18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We towed a '97 Jeep GC for thousands of miles with no trouble. Had the Quadratrack full time four wheel drive. Transfer case had a true neutral.

The two wheel drive Jeeps are not towable four down in most cases.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:45 AM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
thank you

thank you all. i bought the jeep used no manual but never fear the forum is hear to help. thanks again...
Old 09-06-2013, 11:40 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Scott, can you tell me how many miles you consider safe to tow an old CJ before starting the engine? This is my most immediate concern since I have one in my driveway and it's possibe we may make take it to La or Fl soon. Thanks.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:30 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
Scott, can you tell me how many miles you consider safe to tow an old CJ before starting the engine? This is my most immediate concern since I have one in my driveway and it's possibe we may make take it to La or Fl soon. Thanks.
clyon51,
Well Sir, when we were doing our East Jeep Safari run with the big group here in San Diego, we'd head out of San Diego and, due to limited range of MPG in some of the coaches, (ours) we'd have to stop in Barstow for fuel which, was our first stop of the days run to Moab UT. That distance is right at, 175 miles. We'd all start them up while fueling at Barstow. From there, it was onto Whiskey Petes in Jean NV. (Nevada border) which was about 125 miles. We'd stay in the parking lot there for the night and, in the morning, start them up for a short bit, and head out for Cedar City UT. About 200 miles, fuel, start up the jeeps etc.

From there, it was onto Salina UT, about 132 miles, same scenario. Then onto Green River UT, about 110 miles and same scenario.

So, as you can see, based on certain restrictions, distances between fuel ups for the motorhomes, people have to go p.. and take breaks etc. the average run for running those model 300 transfer cases between start-ups for "re-lube", was around 150-200 miles. Now, do you HAVE TO STOP in that short of a distance, well, again, we NEVER, EVER broke a 300 transfer case from "burnt out" bearings from towing so, just what is the max distance a 300 can go before potential damage can occur, who knows? I never tested that issue. If you'd like to push it into farther limits, it's your jeep. I think, during one of the runs from San Diego to Moab, I did take a chance and fueled the motor home, ( '89 27' class C with 460 Ford) in Cedar city and drove all the way to Green river UT and that was about the longest run without stopping to start up the Jeep I'd ever done. It was about 240 miles.

I was a bit on edge too 'cause the gas gauge needle was on "empty" for several miles on approach to Green River. I had a 35 gallon fuel tank and, when I fueled in Green River, I put in, 33.5 gallons, whew, that was a close one.

Anyway, you get the basic picture.
Scott
Old 09-06-2013, 01:22 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Yes I got the picture and good enough, thanks!

I've been toying with the idea of a tow dolly for the wifes car or just get an older jeep just for a towd and go 4 down (much better). We've been traveling with just motorcycles for years and has been perfect for us. We are now much older and motorcycles won't work for us forever, maybe 1 or 2 more years.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:26 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by zip0 View Post
You should have no Prob, just look in you manual. I don't know of any jeep that can't

Oh there are some that can't.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:56 PM   #24
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
John,
.......................we personally would ABSOLUTELY NEVER return to a LEAF SPRUNG JEEP! The ride quality of the newer TJs is so superior that it's really a no brainer. And, as for a 4 cyl Jeep, I personally would never have one. They can't get out of their own way.
Scott
I couldn't agree more with what you said........but, in reading his post (#10), it sounds like he's looking for older. AND, around here, leaf sprung YJ's are way more reasonably priced.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:28 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
I couldn't agree more with what you said........but, in reading his post (#10), it sounds like he's looking for older. AND, around here, leaf sprung YJ's are way more reasonably priced.
KIX,
Yes Sir, I certainly know and realize that price, affordability, what's available in a given area and more, will have effects on just what a person is able to get. As stated, we've had (5) leaf sprung jeeps, Three CJs and two YJs. And, yes, we ran them all over the planet and many, many trails and obstacles all over Moab, Ouray CO, Cedar City, and our own Borrego desert along with the Truckhaven area several hundred times. Did they work, sure they did. But, as also stated, we've built all of them for ultimate off road quality driving and, nothing beats a coil sprung jeep. And that includes a bone stock ride on the street too.

In any case, they'll all work. Even an old CJ. It's just that the original CJs are somewhat limited in flat towing distance without taking precautions, whereas the later YJs, TJs and JKs are all designed for flat towing and you can hook them up, and tow them from San Diego to Maine without worrying. So, good luck.
Scott
Old 09-06-2013, 04:39 PM   #26
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
KIX,
Yes Sir, I certainly know and realize that price, affordability, what's available in a given area and more, will have effects on just what a person is able to get. As stated, we've had (5) leaf sprung jeeps, Three CJs and two YJs. And, yes, we ran them all over the planet and many, many trails and obstacles all over Moab, Ouray CO, Cedar City, and our own Borrego desert along with the Truckhaven area several hundred times. Did they work, sure they did. But, as also stated, we've built all of them for ultimate off road quality driving and, nothing beats a coil sprung jeep. And that includes a bone stock ride on the street too.

In any case, they'll all work. Even an old CJ. It's just that the original CJs are somewhat limited in flat towing distance without taking precautions, whereas the later YJs, TJs and JKs are all designed for flat towing and you can hook them up, and tow them from San Diego to Maine without worrying. So, good luck.
Scott
Yep, we've owned lots of Jeeps too.......my first one was a 50 something. And we wheel UT, CO, AZ and more out "there" every year. The ride on a YJ can certainly be made comfortable. Although we now have a JKUR it's not "all that".