Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2013, 01:01 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
jeep help

looking to tow my 1997 jeep wrangler sahara 4x4 not sure if i can flat tow it and if i can what do i need to so i can tow it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2013, 01:04 PM   #2

You should find that info in your owners manual or do a google. Off hand I believe you can, but check it out....
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:18 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
You should have no Prob, just look in you manual. I don't know of any jeep that can't
zip0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:25 PM   #4

As others said, check your manual. But most with the Quadratrac can be towed 4-down. Put the transfer case in neutral, transmission in Park and tow away.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:34 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
OK just remembered they say if you have the push button 4 wheel you may not be able to. But my son has a Jeep Liberty with the buttons and his manual says it can be towed 4 down.
zip0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:40 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
  • Transfer case to neutral
  • Transmission in park (auto) or any forward gear (manual)
  • Key turned to unlock the steering wheel
  • Ready to tow
I get all the above set, I put the transmission in gear then try to move the Jeep forward a bit to ensure the engine just revs and you go nowhere. This to ensure the transfer case is in neutral. Note - If auto, shut off the engine before going back to park to avoid a grinding noise.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by buynow43 View Post
looking to tow my 1997 jeep wrangler sahara 4x4 not sure if i can flat tow it and if i can what do i need to so i can tow it.
buynow43,
Yes Sir, you can tow your '97 Wrangler on all four wheels behind your coach. It's equipped with a model 231 transfer case which, is shifted manually NOT ELECTRONICALLY, and, it has a true NEUTRAL. That model transfer case is an aluminum, chain driven unit and, utilizes ATF for gear oil. And in using such a lighter duty fluid, it also has a self sustaining oil pump, just inside the rear output housing.

So, when towing your Wrangler, that rear drive shaft will turn and therefore, turn that oil pump inside the transfer case and lube everything in there. So, that takes care of that. Now, for flat towing procedures, that transfer case is put into NEUTRAL, and if your Jeep is an Automatic, it gets placed into PARK. If it's a STICK, it gets left in gear. Your manual will detail all the instructions but, you also have a steering wheel lock on the column so, the key will have to be turned at least one click forward from the "off" position and that will "unlock" the steering but, it will NOT turn any electrical items on. At least that's the way our '99 Sahara and, our '04 Rubicon were.

So, hope this helps some.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:52 PM   #8
KIX

You will need some type of braking system for the Jeep.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:22 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Can you tow it? The owner's manual is the final judge but I can give you some guidelines.

2WD Can not be towed 4 down
Full Time 4-WD with electronic clutches and such, NO TOWING (must be carried if you need to tow.

4WD with manual transfer case.. With very few exceptions, can be towed. But read the manuals because it is very possible to make them not towable .
Old 09-05-2013, 04:55 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post

buynow43,
Yes Sir, you can tow your '97 Wrangler on all four wheels behind your coach. It's equipped with a model 231 transfer case which, is shifted manually NOT ELECTRONICALLY, and, it has a true NEUTRAL.
Scott,

My son has an '84 CJ8 Scrambler that we will probably tow occasionally. It has the older 300 transfer case and I understand with those, the drive shafts must be removed for any lengthly towing. Is this correct?

Also, if you know, in what year was the 231 introduced? We are thinking about an older Jeep to tow back and forth to Florida (3000 mi each year) and don't want any hassle pulling driveshafts. Thanks.

John...
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
Scott,

My son has an '84 CJ8 Scrambler that we will probably tow occasionally. It has the older 300 transfer case and I understand with those, the drive shafts must be removed for any lengthly towing. Is this correct?

Also, if you know, in what year was the 231 introduced? We are thinking about an older Jeep to tow back and forth to Florida (3000 mi each year) and don't want any hassle pulling driveshafts. Thanks.

John...
John,
We've owned (7) different Jeeps (Wrangler types) and two Grand Cherokees. We towed all Seven for a zillion miles each. (3) CJs, 1-5, and 2-7s, 2-YJs and 2-TJs. The model 300 Transfer case is a cast iron, gear driven transfer case and, was never really designed for long distance flat towing. It can be done and, as stated, we towed ours for many, many miles. For instance, San Diego CA to Moab UT for the Easter Jeep Safari. Now, because all of us (about 10-13 motor homes towing Jeeps) were at the time, using CJs, we all knew about the limited tow mileage of the 300 Transfer case so, we'd stop on a frequent basis and, start the engines, and if a stick or auto, we'd put the trans in gear and let it spin the gears in the transfer case for a few minutes.

Now, of course the T/C was in neutral so, we weren't trying to push the motor homes out of the rest areas with them. But, we all did it. Now, for all those years, not one of those model 300 transfer cases ever sustained any damage while towing. But, we took care of them. We changed oil in them way more than what's required. So, as for your CJ-8, I'm not going to tell you that you can tow it without harm to that T/C. But, based on about 20 of us (various people on various trips) none of us ever had to rebuild one or repair any damage, due to flat towing, because we were aware of the issues and changed oil often.

Now, I say it has a "Neutral" but, again, in its design, it was not intended to be flat towed for long distances. There is no real oiling system if, the front shafts are not turning. By turning only the rear input shaft, (as in towing) some of the components are relying on residual oil, left on them from being driven by the input shaft. There are modifications to that T/C that can make it more at ease with flat towing but, none of us ever did it.

And, I had my 300 out several times for doing other maintenance and modifications on the jeep. While out, I pulled the cover plate and did thorough inspections while checking all gears. No damage. I know if it were me, and I was towing a CJ-8, I'd tow it without hesitation. But, that's me and I'm the one that would have to fix it if it had damage. And, even if it did sustain any damage, those T/Cs are some of the simplest gear boxes ever made. A first year auto class high school student could disassemble it and put it back together if needed.

Now, you ask about the 231, The first YJ units used the old 258 engines and, the 300 T/Cs with the exception of the 4 cyl units. Some of them were issued the 231 T/C. Now, as I've seen in charts and some books, the YJ, in '91 went to the 4.0 engine and, the 231 Transfer Case. And, as earlier stated, it's an aluminum T/C and, chain driven. And, it's got Neutral and, the best part, it's own oil pump at the rear, just inside the output housing. It's neat little rotary vein type pump that's only about a 1/2" in thickness and about 4-5" in diameter, if I recall, it's been years. I hope this helps some.
Scott

P.S. Tell your son to take care of that CJ-8, those are getting seriously rare and can command a pretty high price if in good shape.
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:35 PM   #12
KIX

My suggestion is to look for a 91 and newer 6 cyl Jeep Wrangler. The 91 through 95 with the 4.0 six had the 231 and fuel injection. All Wranglers of those years had square headlights
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:10 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Wow, thanks Scott. I do know the son towed it 200mi here about a month ago, we drove it a bit, then towed it 120mi to the sand dunes, ran it and towed it back. He moved to La and now it sits here. When I brought up the issue about the 300, he only said he thinks the drive shafts have quick disconnects. So I don't know if he has a clue or not.

Anyway, it's possible I may tow it to Fl and I just want to know what interval would be safe to go before starting it. I'm also a bit confused on the procedure. It is towed in park, front axels unlocked, TC in neutral.

So all it takes is to just start the engine and let it run a bit? Or should the trans be place in drive or something else and how long?

As far as the CJ-8, the son and I created the monster. Blasted and painted the frame, all new fiberglass body, Chevy 350, TH 400 trans and a bunch of other stuff, it is a beauty and runs like a champ! Lots of ooo's and ahh's at the sand dunes!

If and when I decide to get my own Jeep, I'll just get one with a 231 TC. I really apreciate your input and thoughts.

John...
Old 09-05-2013, 07:21 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
My suggestion is to look for a 91 and newer 6 cyl Jeep Wrangler. The 91 through 95 with the 4.0 six had the 231 and fuel injection. All Wranglers of those years had square headlights
Thanks KIX, more info for my limited brain database Would I be correct to assume that all Jeeps in those years and later have a "no worry" TC?