Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:51 PM   #15

Jeeps are meant to be run in 4 wheel drive periodically or the oil in the transfer case will jell up. We just paid $200+ to find this out. It may not be the case for you, so it is only a suggestion.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2013, 08:52 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcopeland View Post
I have an automatic transmission.
It should tow fine with an automatic. My procedure (which may or may not be right..but it works).

1) Pull behind the MH until the wife tells me I'm in the right spot to hook up.
2) Put on handbrake
3) Shift from Drive to Neutral (tranny)
4) **** transfer case from 2H, to 4H, back to Neutral
5) Put tranny back in drive to see if the transfer case is truly in neutral
6) Put tranny into Park
7) Turn off engine, turn back one turn so steering lock does not engage, key will have to stay in.
8) After hooking up tow bar, release hand brake...very important!

Don't forget #7 and leave engine running....embarrassing wast of gas

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Toyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:13 PM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
Toyduck has a good procedure.
#5 AND #8 very important.

I would change one thing When you drop the trans back in drive and the case really is in neutral
The output shaft of the trans will be spinning at idle speed. (600-700RPM/=15MPH?) DO NOT shift to park now.
Shut off engine first, then go to park. Or you will hear the Park paw bouncing all over the drum hunting for a notch to fall into.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:42 PM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Thanks everyone. Will test your procedures out.
tcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:30 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyduck View Post
It should tow fine with an automatic. My procedure (which may or may not be right..but it works).

1) Pull behind the MH until the wife tells me I'm in the right spot to hook up.
2) Put on handbrake
3) Shift from Drive to Neutral (tranny)
4) **** transfer case from 2H, to 4H, back to Neutral
5) Put tranny back in drive to see if the transfer case is truly in neutral
6) Put tranny into Park
7) Turn off engine, turn back one turn so steering lock does not engage, key will have to stay in.
8) After hooking up tow bar, release hand brake...very important!

Don't forget #7 and leave engine running....embarrassing wast of gas
I think the reason for this thread is about #4 in the list, sometimes when I get to step #4 the shift selector does not want to come out of 2 high into 4 high and have to drop the tranny into drive and back into neutral and try to shift it again. Sometimes it works smooth and other times not to smooth, the wife has a hard time doing this trying to get the transfer case into neutral. Maybe over time it will loosen up and shift better with some use.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:22 PM   #20

TCase Shifiting

"1 while pulling up behind the RV Straight shift into 4H"

In my experience, this is the step that makes all the difference. Pull the lever into 4H while you are still driving the jeep right before you hook it up.
If it is already in 4H it is much easier to go to TCase Neutral after you put the trans in Neutral. Mekanic has a very good explanation of why it works below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
They really are NOT designed to be shifted unless the vehicle is moving (ever so slowly).
It makes all the difference in the world.
There are several ways to get it done.
Here is how you can get it done "without moving" I am sure you are asking about shifting it while you are hooking it up to be towed by the RV.
1 while pulling up behind the RV Straight shift into 4H. Then set the parking brake good and shift the trans into neutral. Then if it still resist a case shift wait till you have it all hitched up, release the parking brake and try to go to neutral again. It should work then.
Do NOT FORGET to tow with trans in gear and case in Neutral.

The real reason for it to not shift is that it won't shift into 4H unless both gears in the case (for front axle drive and the rear drive) and lined up. It must shift into 4H before you can shift into neutral. If they are not lined up no shift. Same as when you want to leave 4H to 2H if there is pressure on the shift ring it will not kick out of 4H(NO matter shift handle position.) till both gears line up and pressure is gone.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:43 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin John View Post
"1 while pulling up behind the RV Straight shift into 4H"

In my experience, this is the step that makes all the difference. Pull the lever into 4H while you are still driving the jeep right before you hook it up.
If it is already in 4H it is much easier to go to TCase Neutral after you put the trans in Neutral. Mekanic has a very good explanation of why it works below.
Actually, that's the way my wife does it...says it works for her and is easier to remember. I will have to try that out.....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-19-2013, 08:48 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
I think the reason for this thread is about #4 in the list, sometimes when I get to step #4 the shift selector does not want to come out of 2 high into 4 high and have to drop the tranny into drive and back into neutral and try to shift it again. Sometimes it works smooth and other times not to smooth, the wife has a hard time doing this trying to get the transfer case into neutral. Maybe over time it will loosen up and shift better with some use.
That's the thing, I've never experienced any hard shifting with the transfer case. I had at one time a Toyota 4Runner (1987) that was real difficult to shift, but the Jeep has always cooperated...

Ah, now watch, I probably jinxed myself....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]