Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-11-2015, 06:53 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Jeep JKU, after market bumper & tow bar

2014 JKU, not modified with lifts or tires. I would like to put on an aftermarket market bumper to use to mount the tow bar.

Looking for recommendations on the bumper, don't need winch, would like to use the stock fog lights. Tow bar would probably be Blue OX, but that is only because of the recent info on the wider spread. Really any tow bar is probably okay.

Motorhome is a Newmar Dutctstar

Reason is that my existing factory bumper cover needs to be replaced anyway, don't want to reduce ground clearance with baseplate and one day may want to add a winch.

Really appreciate your thoughts and recommendations as there are so many out there to chose from and I think that someone that has done this would know the pros / cons

Regards,

Jim

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2015, 08:57 AM   #2

Hi Jim; Lookup Rockhard4x4.com They supply new aftermarket bumpers for your Jeep in steel or Aluminum. Under Towing, they have tow brackets for Blue Ox, Roadmaster, and Demco that will bolt on to the Rockhard Bumpers for towing. Haven't tried it yet, still looking for a Wrangler for a Toad, but found this info from the Jeep Wrangler Forum. Hope this helps.

Kevin

Kevin & Donna
2014 Tiffin Allegro 36LA
Calgary, Alberta
Good Sam Life Member

Old 04-11-2015, 08:57 AM   #3

American Coach Owners Club
I have a RockHard with the Blue Ox tabs installed on the front of it. Mine is set up for a winch but you may be able to get one without. When I bought mine in 2012 they would install whatever tabs you needed for a towbar.
exgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 09:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by exgman View Post
I have a RockHard with the Blue Ox tabs installed on the front of it. Mine is set up for a winch but you may be able to get one without. When I bought mine in 2012 they would install whatever tabs you needed for a towbar.

Did you get the steel or aluminum bumper? Any problems with brackets bending/ stretching?

Kevin & Donna
2014 Tiffin Allegro 36LA
Calgary, Alberta
Good Sam Life Member
Old 04-11-2015, 11:23 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Aluminum vs. Steel

Curious, about 300 dollars up charge for the Aluminum. Assume the benefit is less weight, not sure how much less though. Any disadvantages ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerkb2 View Post
Did you get the steel or aluminum bumper? Any problems with brackets bending/ stretching?

Kevin & Donna
2014 Tiffin Allegro 36LA
Calgary, Alberta
Good Sam Life Member
Old 04-11-2015, 07:02 PM   #6

Ranch Hand makes a real nice one they but no idea on when it would be built and shipped so I cancelled the order and went with the Rock Hard 4x4 steel. I also bought their bolt in tabs to go with my Blue Ox tow bar, they blot through the bumper directly to the frame.
I have a set of the Blue Ox tabs that I was going to bolt to the Ranch Hand that I will now sell.
They guys at Rock Hard are real great, easy to talk to and will make sure you get what you need. The aluminum is almost 100 pounds lighter but $300 more. If you hit something like a deer with the steel you wash it off, with the aluminum you will be hard pressed to bend it back into shape.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 04-11-2015, 07:27 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Do these come with some type of safety chain or cables just in case? I still have my factory bumper, but may switch someday down the road.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 05:45 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Appreciate all of the input, Rockhard looks like a good choice for what I want to do...

Jim
Old 04-12-2015, 06:53 AM   #9

All tow bars come with safety chains or cables.
The Rock Hard has a flat top that looks good without a winch, but is predilection and has room for one if you want to add one.
There are also welded tabs that take a clevis or can be used alone to hook the safety cable or chain to.
I spent lots of time looking at every one I could find and they get my vote as the best deal.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 04-13-2015, 08:59 AM   #10

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerkb2 View Post

Kevin & Donna
2014 Tiffin Allegro 36LA
Calgary, Alberta
Good Sam Life Member
I don't remember them having the aluminum bumper option in '12. I spend a lot of time off road in Moab and the Rubicon so I don't think an aluminum bumper would work for me anyway. I haven't had any problems with the tabs bending or stretching in the 3 years I've used it.
exgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 10:53 AM   #11

AEV, they will also tell you which Blue Ox base plate works.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:33 AM   #12

Another vote for RockHard 4x4 - I went aluminum as well to save 100 lbs. haven't gotten a chance to hook up and test tow yet but it's a solid mount and I anticipate no issues. Easy install with some basic tools (make sure you have a torque wrench to get it right) so no need to pay someone else to install.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1429011229.553667.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	91433

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

Tags
tow