Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2016, 10:49 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Jeep JKU Wiring Harness

After reading the posts on the installation procedure and problems associated with the Mopar wiring harness, I tought I would offer up the following. I opted for the Hopkins wiring kit over the Mopar for price and availability. Now I'm glad I did for ease of installation. I purchased this:

http://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-56200-...cle+Wiring+Kit

I have a 2014 JKU Sport and already have a wiring kit installed (plug in) to tow my boat with the Jeep. This unit was plug and play with no removal of body parts (except tail lights) or drilling required. The procedure is as follows:

1. Remove both rear tail lights.
2. Place the entire assembly inside of the driver side tail light cavity. Route the wires and the pair of plugs to the passenger side keeping the wires away from the exhaust.
3. Remove the rubber triangular plug in the bottom of the passenger side tail light cavity by pushing it up from the bottom with a hammer handle or something similar. (I had to remove some spray foam that was factory to remove this plate.
4. Unplug the Jeep wiring harness from the tail light and plug the Hopkins connectors inline.
5. Replace the rubber triangular cover and tail light.
6. Unplug the driver side Jeep wiring harness and connect the plugs from the Hopkins wiring kit. Route the 4 pin flat plug and wires down and out through the foam rubber cover and replace the driver side tail light.
7. I chose to route as much of these wires inside of the frame as possible. This was done using an electrician's fish tape and a pull string/wire. I have attached pictures of this part as some have done this by cutting off the 4 pin flat plug and splicing on after but this does not HAVE to be done.
8. I routed the wires up in the engine compartment keeping away from moving and hot parts on the driver side.
9. I did remove the grill for access to spots for cable ties to secure the wires but this could be done without doing so.
10. I mounted the plastic plug holder to the under sude of the bumber just outside of the driver side tow bar attachment point on the tow plate.
Finally, I connected the ground (white) wire from the Hopkins harness to the tow plate using the supplied self drilling screw and tucked and secured the excess wire up above the tow plate behind the bumper.

NOTE: I connected the plug to the motor coach before mounting the plug holder for testing. Everything worked as it was supposed to and no warning lights from the Jeep.

I don't mean to sway anyone's decision away from the Mopar wiring kit but wanted to be sure this was outhere. Happy Travels

1st pic, at rear driver side wheel outside.
2nd pic, at driver side wheel inside.
3rd pic, frame just behind driver side front wheel
4th pic, engine bay on driver side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160822_191000.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	192.8 KB
ID:	136958   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160822_192830.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	178.8 KB
ID:	136959  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160822_192838.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	189.1 KB
ID:	136960   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160822_203125.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	243.7 KB
ID:	136961  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2016, 02:14 PM   #2

m.elliot63,
Don't know if you saw my post or not, it was just above yours a short while ago. Anyway, if not, I was asking about any "kit" or wiring harness for toad lights that actually WORK without causing issues, like I've read about using the Mopar ones and maybe one or two others. I have never drilled into the tail light housing for the addition of alternate bulbs for toad lights. We've towed 8 Jeeps over a 35 year period and, have always wired them to use the stock tail lights.

I've used Radio Shack diodes instead of those expensive ones and, never, ever had any issues using them.

But, the newer JK Jeeps, utilize a different style/type of wiring and, it involves BCM stuff (body control module) so, I want to use something dependable and, not cause any issues with the Jeeps computer(s).

So, based on your write up, it appears you're pretty happy with that system and, as stated, you've tested everything and, it all works as it's supposed to?

And no issues with any warning signals on the Jeeps dash etc.?

If not, I will be ordering one of these up today. Thanks for the very nice write up and the pics.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 10:20 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Scott,
Thanks for the compliment. I wish I had snapped more pictures as I was installing this but I can only attach 4 at a time anyway. This harness has the diodes as part of the harness. I have had no issues with my Jeep's electrical since the installation a few days ago. Just plug and play with no cutting or drilling required. I highly recommend it based on my experience. Good luch and happy safe travels.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:32 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Try Dinghy Towing Harnesses
for all of your Jeep Toad wiring harnesses, they just make it too easy just plug and play.

Tags
wiring