Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2019, 02:46 PM   #1

Jeep JL Base Plate vs Trails

We have a new motorhome on order and will be taking delivery around the middle of February. In the meantime we will be purchasing a Jeep JL Rubicon for our towed. With the Jeep we want to be able to do trails especially while in Colorado and Utah. My question is, has anyone damaged their baseplate while doing trails? We plan on installing the blue ox version and it seems to be down kind of low on the frame and am just a little concerned. We don’t plan on doing any rock crawling but want to be able to see the more remote areas.

Thanks.

John
JCGibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2019, 03:06 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have a '14 JKU and installed a Roadmaster baseplate. It fits pretty close to the front but I don't offroad either.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190725_084742.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	301.3 KB
ID:	267719  
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 03:06 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
I have a Demco base plate and have done a lot of trails in Colorado and never dragged a base plate. However, I think the Blue Ox hangs down a bit farther than the Demco. Just my opinion, but if I were you I would go with a RockHard bumper with built in tow points. I made the mistake of getting a base plate then later added an aftermarket bumper. They work well together, but I've always wished I had gone the bumper with tow points. Some tow from the D Ring recovery tabs but not all bumpers are created equal with some of the recovery tabs just being welded to thin steel. I have seen at least one with a tab broken out from the constant flex of towing. I plan on upgrading to a JKU after the first of the year and will definitely go with the RockHard aluminum bumper this time since it's almost fifty pounds lighter than the steel.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 03:07 PM   #4

We have used blue ox on a Range Rover that we used as designed. The base plate didnt hang down at all and we had zero issues.

We now have a Jeep Grand Cherokee and the blue ox plate doesnt hang down at all.

On both I would need to have done some serious damage before the base plate is impacted. So much so that if that much damage was done towing would not be your first issue.

Get a airforce one break system also.
Old 11-23-2019, 03:22 PM   #5

I went with the Maximus-3 tow loops as they are made of 5/8” plate steel and can double as sliders if needed. They also do not really affect the approach angle and do not interfere with a winch plate.

https://i.imgur.com/iRUGWNE.jpg
https://imgur.com/uIpjNOm
Old 11-23-2019, 04:45 PM   #6

Depending on how much off-roading you are going to do, I would look at a new bumper instead. Rock hard and l o d both make bumpers that have the tabs welded into them already. I've been very happy with my LOD bumper. It's been beat up not only off-road but in an accident and barely shows any wear.
robburns76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 05:07 PM   #7

I could have written the OP's question myself. I plan to get the Rockhard aluminum with built in tabs. I ordered the Rubicon with the plastic bumper, so in addition to clearance concerns, I need a bumper that works with a winch. I may as well tackle all concerns with one purchase.
Rolling Ragu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 08:41 PM   #8

I recommend you go to the manufacturer's websites with all the base plates and download the installation magnifier your particular model and year of toad.

That way you can take a look at the final install location to see if it will be in the clear with your off roading activity.
KiteSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 09:22 PM   #9

Let me try this again. Here are the Maximus 3 tow loops. Very stout and don’t interfere with a winch. They cost just over $200 and work with any of the stock bumpers.

Old 11-24-2019, 06:25 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
If I had a do over I'd prolly get a better quality bumper like RockHard for our JL.
tarheel21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 03:56 PM   #11

Currie are offroad people and do a baseplate for the JK, they might have similar for the JL, it's tough and out of the way.

Or aftermarket bumper, tow from the d-ring holes.

Steve
Old 11-29-2019, 01:20 PM   #12

Another recommendation for the Rock Hard bumper. I had one on a 2010 JKU Rubicon. I added the bolt on Blue Ox tabs that worked great. We just did not like the ride or visibility and sold it after 18 months.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote