Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:39 AM   #1

Jeep Liberty

I am still very confused after reading a bunch of threads and looking up a 2006 Jeep Liberty 4x4 automatic as my flat tow car. The Remco site won't even show me an automatic option.

Is anyone using a Liberty for their tow car?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2013, 07:42 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I do not tow one, but I would do what the owners manual says to do.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:34 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Just hook it up, put transfer case in neutral and the transmission in part. Forget REMCO
Old 01-21-2013, 09:40 AM   #4

I am hoping to find the time to call REMCO later today and ask about a Jeep Liberty. We are looking for a tow-able vehicle and ran across a 2004 Liberty for a fair price. Once I get an answer from REMCO I'll post it back to this thread.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:43 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have an 04 Liberty 4X4. Like stated above, forget the Remco. One downside is that a key has to be in the ignition and in the off position to unlock the steering wheel.

The 2 wheel drives are not towable from what I understand.
gmadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:46 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
My experience is that Jeep products 2006 and older are tow-ready from the factory. As another post stated; put the transfer case in neutral and the automatic (or stick) in neutral, the ignition key in the first position (on) and you are off.
I currently tow a 2006 Rubicon and towed a 2003 Liberty LTD. Great to flat tow.... The newer Jeep products need a battery modification to insure it does not kill the battery during tow, so I am told.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:55 AM   #7

First question is, is it a 4X4 or 2 wheel drive? Auto or standard trans? I tow a 2006 Liberty 4X4 with auto trans and all you do is put transfer in nuetral and transmission in park and turn key one click to unlock steering wheel. Its all in the manual.
johnsonk555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:32 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
We tow an '08 Liberty. Transfer case in neutral, transmission in park, no need for key in ignition (no steering lock).
Old 01-21-2013, 11:51 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
We have towed our 2006 4x4 Jeep liberty with automatic trans. 24k miles four wheels down. Follow the instruction in the manual and all is well. We have traveled form NY to Alaska and down to South Caroline with no problems.
RV735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:25 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The key is, does it have a two speed transfer case with a neutral postion? If it does, its probably towable. This would apply to pretty much any vehicle.

As hinted above, there may be other factors to consider. One example given is, does the steering column lock? (Jeep made changes not all that long ago. Our '07 needed the key in the ignition, our '12 doesn't. I think the change was made mid-year '08, but you'll need to know. This can easily be checked by you. Can you turn the wheel without the key?) If so, the key will have to be in the ignition. If that's the case, you may need to either pull a fuse (or install a battery shut off as we did on our '07 Wrangler).

There are thousands of Libertys being used as toads. No doubt someone here has the exact same year and configuration and can help you.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:52 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
We tow a 2004 Liberty 4x4 with an automatic transmission. Here is the process we follow which is what is described in the owners manual:
  1. Put the transmission in neutral
  2. Put the transfer case in neutral
  3. Put the transmission back into park.
  4. Put the key in the ignition and turn it one click to disable the steering lock. It doesn't get turned far enough to engage the accessories so there's no need to do anything special to keep the battery from draining.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:08 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by griztim76 View Post
My experience is that Jeep products 2006 and older are tow-ready from the factory. As another post stated; put the transfer case in neutral and the automatic (or stick) in neutral, the ignition key in the first position (on) and you are off.
This is (partially) incorrect. Transfer case in neutral is correct, but the transmission should be in park (auto) or sixth (manual).

Quote:
I currently tow a 2006 Rubicon and towed a 2003 Liberty LTD. Great to flat tow.... The newer Jeep products need a battery modification to insure it does not kill the battery during tow, so I am told.
Actually, I think you have it the wrong way around. Newer Jeeps ('08 or so) don't have steering lock, so no key is needed. Older ones do, so you need the key and might need a battery boost. It also depends on how you're energizing the tail lights. Or if you're using a brake system that sucks power from the toad battery.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:19 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Take out the owners manual, look under recreational towing.. 4 wheel drive is tow-able, two wheel drive not.. but read the manual
Old 01-26-2013, 03:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby Mike View Post
We tow an '08 Liberty. Transfer case in neutral, transmission in park, no need for key in ignition (no steering lock).

Crabby, How do you switch your 2008 transfer case to neutral? I haven't looked that close, but I don't think there was a neutral position on that console switch. Let me know how you do it. thanks