Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-26-2015, 12:14 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Jeep Liberty as a toad

I have an opportunity to purchase a 2004 Jeep Liberty Sport for use as a toad. It is an automatic with 4 WD. Can it be towed 4 down - any owners have one? Comments, recommendations, etc., would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Bronk

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2015, 12:41 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
We've got an 06 Liberty Ltd which is probably similar. If it's got a transfer case that can be put in Neutral, it can be towed 4-down. For ours, it's tranny=N/gear=P. No fuses to pull & no having to stop every so often to run.

You can confirm by checking in the owner's manual - there will be instructions how to tow.

Lori-

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 01:07 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have a 06 liberty sport and we tow it everywhere.
it's easy to tow, put transfer case in neutral and gear in park, turn the ignition key 1 click forward and your ready to tow. Real easy tow vehicle and lightweight too.
Diane98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 05:36 PM   #4

Some things to check. Transmission pan for rust, front driveshaft for broken seals, leaking rear axle seals and codes for EVAP system leaks. All issues with this car to verify.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 06:31 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Towing 04 Jeep Liberty.

Be sure and check the owners manual under Recreational Towing. That will tell you what you can and cannot do regarding towing.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:44 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
I have a 2003 Liberty Sport and tow it everywhere with no problems. After hooking the jeep to the motorhome I put the transfer case in neutral then put the transmission in both drive and reverse just to make sure the transfer case is in neutral. Then put the transmission in park and turn the key to the first position (to unlock the steering wheel). Have fun!!!
Old 08-27-2015, 06:36 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
bronk, We have towed our 06 Jeep Liberty 45K miles from Key West to Fairbanks and San Diego to Montreal, CA. It is equipped with a 10K pound Blue Ox tow bar with an AirForce One brake system. We have the tow bar serviced by Blue Ox at the Hershey RV show. We have had no problems.

Follow the procedure to flat tow in your owner’s manual. We always double check all light functions and that the front wheels rotate and turn before starting the trip. I have forgot to turn the ignition key to the first stop and my DW fortunately caught it be for starting.

Safe travels and THE JOY IS IN THE RIDE
RV735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 09:56 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks to all of you for responding to my questions in a timely matter. I am going to test drive the Liberty this afternoon and will decide if it is what we need for our situation. We just got another golden retriever puppy and the Jeep Wrangler is just too darn small for both dogs when we travel short distances. Since I will need a tow bar and base plate/s for the Liberty, I need recommendations as to brand, ease of installing base plate/s and function. I have been using a simple Y tow bar with the Wrangler but would like to upgrade. Again thanks for the information on the Liberty and wish me luck with the test drive.

Bronk
Old 08-28-2015, 06:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronk View Post
We just got another golden retriever puppy .......

Bronk
Congratulations. Our puppy is now three, but he hasn't figured that out yet
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:43 AM   #10
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
We have a Roadmaster baseplate w/invisible brackets (the kind you can't see sticking out when the connectors aren't there) & a Falcon 2 all-terrain towbar system. Works great for us. Plus, when we go to the larger RV rallies, Roadmaster will come to your coach to inspect your tow bars. They cleaned & lube'd ours at the FMCA-Madison rally @N/C.

Lori-
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
Old 08-28-2015, 10:16 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I swear that goldens don't really mature until age 5 or 6, but we love them regardless.

What do you have for a Vette? We have an 'O3 ZO6 - best car I have ever owned. No problems or issues with 80,000 smiling miles and counting!!
Old 08-28-2015, 10:19 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Test drive went very well, so it will be our next (and hopefully final) toad. There is no owners' manual - any suggestions other than the Jeep dealership? Thanks.

Bronk
Old 08-28-2015, 10:45 AM   #13
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Go to the Jeep website. You can download manuals back to 2004.

Lori-
Old 08-28-2015, 01:19 PM   #14

The manual is sort of hidden. Open the glove box, there's an area just for the manual at the up area of the box. Looked all over for mine just happened to find it about a month later.

To prepare for towing:
Once u hook up the towbar. Start the engine, make sure hand brake is released. With your foot on the brake move the trans shifter to reverse. Very slowly let the car move back a few inches. You should feel the slack thicken up in the towbar. Next do the same in 1st gear except the car will go forward, maybe. Next put the trans in neutral and move the transfer case shifter to neutral. Next put the trans in reverse and drive to make sure the transfer case is in neutral, the car should not move.

This is real important: do not put the trans in park unless you shut off the engine!! With the engine off you can put the trans in park. Next start the engine turn the key off one click. The dash lights should go off. That's the click before you can take the key out. You should hear a reminder buzzer at that point that the key is still in the ignition. Lightly try to remove the key, it should not be able to be removed. When you close the door the buzzer will go off.

Double check to make sure hand brake is off.

Preparing to un-hook:
Set the hand brake. Unhook the tow bar. With the engine off try to move the transfer case shifter to 2HI. Don't force it. If that doesn't work start the engine run the trans through the gears. Stop at neutral. Shut the engine off. Now try to move the transfer case shifter to 2HI. Should move at that point. Put the trans in park and start the engine. You should be good to go.

We have an '07 Liberty. The last year for that style.

Don't forget to check into the gas tank safety recall, this is very important.

Enjoy

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

Tags
toad