Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:05 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Jeep Liberty Interior Water Leaks

Looking for feedback from those with Jeep Liberty Toads.

I'm in the market to purchase a Jeep Liberty 4WD as they seem to be a very popular tow vehicle plus I like the 4WD capability.

Yesterday it was raining Cats & Dogs here in Atlanta but I ventured out to CarMax and looked at a 2008 they have for sale. Upon inspection I found the head liner by the "A" piller on both the drivers and passenger side was stained and soaking wet. In the rear cargo compartment I found water inside the wheel well where the spare tire jack is stored. I obviously passed on this vehicle and when I got home I googled Jeep Liberty water leaks and found a plethora of posts about interior water leaks. These post referenced water leaks as I noted above plus wet carpets, leaking sun roofs, leaks where the roof luggage rack attaches, windshield leaks etc ect.

As a result I'm curious if this is a big problem for this platform and what those of you who have this car have experienced in this regard. It's a bit of a turn off as I really like this car so I would appreciate any and all input.

Thanks in advance.

bowpulpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2013, 02:47 PM   #2

Does this model have the Skyslider roof, where as most of the roof is almost a convertable?

Old 02-12-2013, 02:49 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I have a 2006 jeep liberty. I have never had a leak problem. However, I did about 2 years ago notice my third brake light had rust around it. I had it removed and the rot around the light was unbelievable. I had it repaired and put the light back. So I can believe there could be some issues.
Another problem in my year was dropping windows. I bought the car new. 3 times the rear passenger door windows fell into the door. The car was parked and the windows just fell down. The last time was October 2010. So maybe they finally fixed it. I don't know if that was a problem in 2008. I have to say I'm not impressed with the liberty.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorlininc View Post
I have a 2006 jeep liberty. I have never had a leak problem. However, I did about 2 years ago notice my third brake light had rust around it. I had it removed and the rot around the light was unbelievable. I had it repaired and put the light back. So I can believe there could be some issues.
Another problem in my year was dropping windows. I bought the car new. 3 times the rear passenger door windows fell into the door. The car was parked and the windows just fell down. The last time was October 2010. So maybe they finally fixed it. I don't know if that was a problem in 2008. I have to say I'm not impressed with the liberty.
Window regulators are common and an aftermarket company has a solution. Search lostjeeps.com and you will come up with many window regulator posts
Old 02-12-2013, 03:06 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Our 2011 Liberty has a regular sunroof, NOT the SkySlider roof and we have not experienced any leaks of any kind in almost 30K miles of ownership.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:11 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
ChooChooMan7
The car i reference in my original post had a standard Sunroof not the SkySlider.
bowpulpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:13 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Hi choochooman

Thanks for the site. When they broke under warranty, Chrysler gave me a life time warranty for as long as I own the car to repair the regulators free. There should have been a recall. But it looks like after 2 years of not breaking, they may be fixed. I will keep this site you have me, just in vase they fall again. Who knew after 100 years of making cars, they would have trouble keeping them up. I never understood that.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:15 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I have to admit, after owning several Chryslers in my life. It's a car company we should have let die a peaceful death. I'll never buy another Chrysler product. New or used. Too many other cars and trucks out there, that are much better.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorlininc View Post
Hi choochooman

Thanks for the site. When they broke under warranty, Chrysler gave me a life time warranty for as long as I own the car to repair the regulators free. There should have been a recall. But it looks like after 2 years of not breaking, they may be fixed. I will keep this site you have me, just in vase they fall again. Who knew after 100 years of making cars, they would have trouble keeping them up. I never understood that.
I found the actual company that makes them.
Steiger Performance
They are not cheap, but I have heard nothing but praise about them on https://www.lostjeeps.com. Plus, they are made in the USA and this is a private guy and his business to put food on his table and clothes on his kids.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowpulpit View Post
ChooChooMan7
The car i reference in my original post had a standard Sunroof not the SkySlider.
There must be an issue with this. Unless the price is very good, walk away...fast.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:48 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
I have a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee and my water leaks started about 2 weeks ago. It's on my list of things to fix...
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:24 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Again look at Chrysler products. Can you believe we are in 2013 and have cars that leak and windows that don't stay up. I don't get it.

Tags
leaks, water