Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-02-2005, 05:06 AM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Would like to hear of your experiences with a Jeep Liberty as a toad. Although I don't intend to do any off-roading, and therefore do not need a 4X4, I realize that's what I need in order to tow a Liberty. Am considering the V-6 engine.

After examining the CRV, given the lack of choice on engine or interior options, I am seriously considering the Jeep. Would appreciate your comments. (Suitability, ride, economy, etc) Thanks!

RedT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2005, 05:06 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Would like to hear of your experiences with a Jeep Liberty as a toad. Although I don't intend to do any off-roading, and therefore do not need a 4X4, I realize that's what I need in order to tow a Liberty. Am considering the V-6 engine.

After examining the CRV, given the lack of choice on engine or interior options, I am seriously considering the Jeep. Would appreciate your comments. (Suitability, ride, economy, etc) Thanks!

Old 06-02-2005, 07:18 AM   #3

They also have an optional diesel engine. Other than that I dont know about them. We have a 99 Cherokee that has been real good. The Liberty basically replaced the Cherokee.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:29 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I know a couple people who tow Libertys and both are quite happy with them.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 02:00 AM   #5

We have towed our Liberty for over 40k behind our motorhome and its been great. The one thing that I would like to point out is that even though the speedo is showing very few miles(does not count towed miles) you will need to keep up with driveline maintenance. An example would be differential fluids and shocks. My liberty has been great (2003) and I am thinking about trading for a diesel once they get all the bugs worked out. Hope this helps.

Clint
Old 06-03-2005, 04:39 AM   #6

bikedoc,
Looks like we might have trouble remembering which rig is ours if we ever wind up camped next to you. Though the kayak rack on our Liberty might help.

We have towed our 03 Liberty and the only real problem we have had with it is that the tires seem to be cupping from towing. There are some other comments scattered around about that on this forum and some recommendations for more highway-like tires that seem to be doing fine.

It is a very popular tow car now from what I read. Good luck with your decision.

Daisy, the Bichon/poodle 2006 Allegro Bus 40QDP/2003 Jeep Liberty
Lady Nyrtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 05:38 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Clint & Mary, thanks for the info on the Liberty. Though I won't make the purchase decision until after this summer's travels, it's good information. Am seriously considering the Liberty and use the Saturn as "Mom's" car instead of toad.
Old 06-03-2005, 07:06 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our 03 Liberty has been flawless. Have heard about the cupping, but not on ours.It shows 35K on the o-meter, has over 20K {estimated} not showing.I know it was 9.3K across USA.
Blue Ox, everything, tow bars base plated and brake assest. My wife loves it, small V6, which
we had to buy at the time to tow 4down. Tenn.Vol
Old 06-05-2005, 11:17 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Red T:

After examining the CRV, given the lack of choice on engine or interior options, I am seriously considering the Jeep. Would appreciate your comments. (Suitability, ride, economy, etc) Thanks! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just bought (04/28/05)The Jeep Liberty Sport, 4X4, V-6. Love It !! Nice ride, good power and response, towed well with Blue -Ox Aventa II. Apollo Brake system. No problems, So Far !!
Old 06-09-2005, 10:22 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Have an 02" Liberty and have towed it over 14K Mi. Love it. Replaced my 91 Wrangler with it. As I get older the Wrangler got a little too Spartan. Wife has a Grand Cherokee. Cherokee more comfortable for longer excursions but Liberty is more fun for running around in the outback on trips. Both Tow extremely well. I also am considering the Diesel once they get the newness worn off.

Good Luck

'04 MADP-4016 - 400 ISL
RVIN4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 04:54 AM   #11

Have an 02 Liberty and love it. Easy to tow. Only problem is 17 MPG..

2001 Dutch Star DP 3852
N4BYU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 09:42 AM   #12

We've got an '04 and love it. We leave the Motorhome in San Diego during the winter and travel back and forth to it in the Liberty, about 500 miles each way. When winter is over we hook the Liberty to the MH and head to where ever. Got about 8000 Mi on the Liberty + about 2000 towing.

No problem (yet) with tire cupping.

Dislikes are poor mileage (19.5 on the road) and the fact that the BrakeBuddy system would not work due to a lump on the floor that interferes with leveling.

One '04 Journey 34' w/350 CAT
Barney B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 10:08 AM   #13

Just bought a new Liberty to tow. Get the baseplate put on Wed and we will be ready to go.

We towed a Cherokee Sport for a year and really liked it and this one has more head and leg room, I think.

After a really bad experience with 3 Brake Pros, I went to the brake master and had it installed on a Thursday and traded the Jeep off on Saturday. I have reinstalled it myself on the Liberty and we will see how that works.

Looked at the VUE but the price went up $3500 June 1 when they took the rebate off.

Jeep Liberty TOAD
nditt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 01:39 PM   #14

We have a 02 Liberty, purchased in late 02. We trade it in tomorrow for a new Liberty. We have not had any problems with it as far as towing goes. Not even the tires mentioned. We love it!